Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Bat Country : Planetside advice thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country : Planetside advice thread  (Read 109288 times)
tar
Terracotta Army

on: February 06, 2007, 05:05:15 AM

Since no-one else has done it, and I'm a current player, here's the advice thread - ask away!

Tips for starting (if you've never played planetside):

- Go into your graphics settings (in game) and turn off any options relating to flora/weather effects. Nothing funnier than watching a newb trying to hide in non-existant grass :)

- Go into the VR shooting/driving ranges and try out anything that looks even slightly interesting. You'll get some BEP (battle xp) just from handling new stuff and you get to try anything/everything without having to keep changing certs. Find out what you like.

- You'll start with some certs pre-spent. If you gain some battle ranks from VR (easy to do) don't forget to visit a cert terminal (you can find them in the big HART shuttle buildings in sanctuary) and spend your cert points. You can re-cert as many times as you like, as often as you like in the first week. After that it's 6 hours per cert.

- If you're really new and you have the patience for it, do some of the training missions.

- By default, it's ALT+G to bail out of a vehicle. Commonly asked question from new players.

- You can set access permissions on your vehicle. Driver/gunner/trunk/passengers can have different permissions, from you only, your group only to anyone in your empire. If you're getting mass transport for your group, consider locking passenger access to group until everyone's on board.

I know there are several planetside vets here, I'm sure they can chip in with more advice :)
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:39:14 AM

For those that are playing the free version (Planetside Reserves), you will be limited to battle rank 6, which basically means you can have one primary loadout, and one backup that isn't particularly powerful.

When it comes to squad based play, it's normally best to have a mix of certain critical loadouts, and then a few folks that are more flexible, and can cover multiple roles. There are also a few different "primary missions" (I made this term up, it's not in game), for what you want the squad to do:

Vehicle Assault -- this is pretty fun, especially once you get used to it. Normally you'll take 3-5 main battle tanks, and a support skyguard for anti-air. Since Vanu tanks are mag riders (2 person tanks), and -very- fast, it can be quite fun. The main problem is that if we cert up for vehicle assault, we're limited to outdoor/base courtyard captures--once the courtyard is secured, we won't have much to do since the reserves won't have enough certs to be particularly effective indoors.

For this to work well, we'll want roughly half of the folks playing mag driver, half playing mag gunner, with a skygard or two in the mix as appropriate.

Mag Driver: must have Armored Assault 1 and 2. Should have at least engineering 1, and suggested you have some sort of medium range weapon as well for general purpose. Vehicle drivers can only wear up to Agile armor suit.

Mag/Skyguard Gunner: No particular certs -required-, but combat engineering (Engineering 2) is really nice. Gunners can wear rexo armor if desired.

Skyguard Driver: must have Assault Buggy and should have engineering 1/2.

Combined Inf: Fun squad mission--basically, it's a mix of heavy assault, combat support, and special assault. To be really good at this role, you need about br 10 or so, but its somewhat feasible at BR6. The Vanu are especially good at this role given their spam/range based weapons!

Max: Anti-Inf and Anti-Armor max at a minimum, but you may as well get UNI-Max since it takes just 1 more point and gets you all 3 types. 2 or 3 maxxes are great meatshields, and kick out some pretty nice support damage as well.

Heavy Assault: Requires Medium Assault and Heavy Assault, and to be decently effective you really need Reinforced Exosuit armor as well. Your primary weapon is the Lasher. 3-4 Lashers focusing on the same or nearby targets is deadly.

Combat Support: Hardest to cert up for starting off, since you really want a weapon capability for personal defense, max combat engineer and max combat medic. This role however is pretty damned critical for sustained fights so we can repair and ressurect those that take damage. I'd suggest we mix up and focus mostly on combat medic (we really want at least 2-3 with the certs), and hope that some of our Heavy Assault folks have certs available for at least basic engineering.

Special Assault: not really required, but damned useful if we have someone with the experience. Chucking grenades around corners and all that good stuff really softens up the enemy for the lashers.

The hardest part about the combined arms infantry squad is transo, but we won't have enough certs to have built in transportation as well. I -may- see if I can squeeze out a gal pilot cert if we decide that's what we want to do.

These are just two of the various "squad missions" we can work on--or, we can just fuck around and do whatever folks want. I'll be honest though, with teamspeak and some practice, the effectiveness of a well thought out squad is orders of magnitude more fun than the zerg!

Important note to new PS players: PS now has a really nice "tutorial mode", where you get battle experience points simply for running the tutorials....in fact, you get BEP for every single "new" thing you do, including every single time you fire a new weapon. In your sanctuary, you also can use the Virtual Reality terminals, which basically lets you use any weapon or vechicle in the game. It is very much worth it to take 1-3 hours and do everything possible within the VR rooms, as you can easily get battlerank 3 (and the extra certs) in that time, and have more cert flexibility.

They also made it that for the first 7 days of your character, you can "forget" and re-learn certs any time you want--which means you aren't locked down to a particular role once you pick it. If it turns out you hate Heavy Assault and want to try Combat Support, you can go to a certification terminal and completely reconfigure your character in seconds.

Rumors of War
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:08:20 AM

I'll also be adding my advice shortly...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:08:08 PM

I strongly advise going to the VR room and trying *everything*.

For weapons, tools, and MAXs you only need to equip them.  Load as many as you can into your inventory, equip one, then move to the next.  For the vehicles you get xp for both being the driver and getting into the gunner's seat (except for the Harasser).  Vehicles take a little longer to do than the weapons, but it's free xp.

After VR and getting to one engagement, or doing some of the tutorials, will get you to Rank 4.  That comes to 10 cert points which is a pretty good start.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:43:01 PM

If you have a core group of guys, one of you will probably wanna bite the bullet and take an AMS. Its a deployable mobile spawn point that cloaks. Very important to win battles.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:30:38 PM

Finished the VR, I'm now rank 4.

Two questions.

1. Crosshair while in 3rd person? Is there any way to turn this on?
2. Widescreen support?

This seems like it can be really fun with a bunch of people. I took a sniper and stealth loadout, but I suspect I may go combat engineer like I was in tribes. I've got TS. Let's get it on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:46:02 PM by bhodi »
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:59:58 PM

How do I minimize the mindbending graphical glitches and once every 10-15 minutes freezes and crashes (most requiring a hard reboot)?

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 03:17:37 PM

2. Widescreen support?

This seems like it can be really fun with a bunch of people. I took a sniper loadout with wraith and a stealth suit. I've got TS. Let's get it on.

I seem to recall lack of Widescreen support being one of Sky's biggest gripes.  I could be misremembering, though.

The game IS huge fun with a group of folks.  Even if you're just standing around trying to decide where to zerg next and decide.. "hey, I wonder what <soandso> looks like when full of holes... "

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 04:34:55 PM

No widescreen support. My monitor cries every time I play.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 04:38:12 PM

Edit machine.ini.

:P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:47:46 PM by Sky »
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 04:40:01 PM

I just went out and shot things, only took me ten minutes to figure out the blue guys were on my side.  Sucks to be Red-Green colorblind, never really was sure which side the aircraft were on.

Going to go in and try all the VR and traing missions, although I'm BR3 just from dicking around for three hours.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:27 PM

Easy way to tell, if you shoot something an an annoying buzzy beepy sound plays, you just shot someone on your team.  Some of the vehicles are unfortunately vague in color scheme, but generally black = terrans, blue = new conglomerate, purple = vanu.  The land vehicles are distinctive enough to tell the faction by profile alone, as it's uncommon to run across hacked vehicles, but the air vehicles are identical for all factions, so you're a little SOL on identifying them unless you get close enough to see the paint job.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:34 PM

Okay, how do I kill people? What am I trying to accomplish? Also... how do I have fun?

If you hear "It's like a FPS MMOG" and that makes you salivate, this may be the game for you. If it makes you wince a little but say, "Well I do like MMOGs..." you might want to give Planetside a pass.

I played for four hours, and had some laughs, but frankly all I got out of it was a headache. Was nice to find out that the F13 crowd is a bunch of nice, patient, tolerant folks. Nothing personal, honestly, but I don't think I'll be coming back.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:47:07 PM

Okay, how do I kill people?
If you only have access to Medium Assault weapons it helps to get the targeting implant so you can see enemy health bars. That way you can pick off the wounded ones.

What am I trying to accomplish? Also... how do I have fun?
Nominally what you are trying to do is help your side capture the different continents. Having fun depends on what you like to do in shooters. The nice thing about PlanetSide is that it supports a number of different play styles.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:49:23 PM by Trippy »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 12:47:51 AM

My advice is, just get a Mosquito.

You don't really need any other certs. But if you really must, then it goes ok with stealth, or even sniper.

Oh, and the supposedly crappy automatic weapon you get for free, it isn't as crappy as every says (at least not for outdoor combat) - turns out it is insanely accurate.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 04:20:11 AM

Unless, like me, a Joystick is required for you to fly in any games.   I spend more time crashing Mosquitoes and Reavers than I ever have flying when I regularly play PS and use the Keyboard.  However, the JS controls in the game are lackluster at best.  Much easier just to buggy around. (For me.)

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 06:53:25 AM

You don't really need any other certs. But if you really must, then it goes ok with stealth, or even sniper.

No disrespect man, but that's a particularly misleading statement, especiallly for new players. Flying in PS may appeal to a few, but it's commonly one of the most difficult and frustrating aspects of the game for many people. It also of course gives you zero capability indoors, and even one anti-aircraft enemy will put you up at the flight cieling, or running for your life.

Rumors of War
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 07:30:03 AM

Unless, like me, a Joystick is required for you to fly in any games.   I spend more time crashing Mosquitoes and Reavers than I ever have flying when I regularly play PS and use the Keyboard.

Meh. Crashing a mosquito is at least as much fun as not crashing in anything else. :)

As for AA, it may have changed, but when I played, Mosquitoes could out manuevuer most AA fire just by randomly shaking the mouse around. If an AA player takes a bead on you I normally find you can just loop around a mountain and back again (which is a < 10 second process in a Mosquito), this time coming in lower. There were usually half a dozen Reaver kids buzzing any hot base, and the AA guys would take any opportunity to switch targets to the those flying whales anyhow.

Plus you just get to mess about flying really fast through gates and rocks and stuff while everyone else sits around waiting for that last guy to get back in the damn Galaxy.

If you can put up with agile armour, Mossies are the only way to travel.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 07:36:05 AM

The addition of another aircraft with AA capabilities, the Wasp, makes certing mosquitos a little more problematic.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 08:07:48 AM

My observations from 4h last night:

1) I have no idea what I'm doing even after completing all of the training modules and reaching BR4.  Many of the descriptions in the training were pretty insufficient. I think time will help... I'll figure it out through practice. 

2) There are many high BR people out there with tons of toys at their disposal.  They even know how to use them.  It was humbling.  We had a base defended by 3 people and the 5-6 of us couldn't really do much to take it from them.  Should I get used to this being only BR6?

3) Getting 2 shot is no fun.  Especially when I unload a full clip on someone and they turn around and kill me instantly. 

4) Apparently there are people that can see me but I can't see them... and I'm not talking about stealthers.  Are there mods for this game that people use like radar and targeting bots?

5) This game seems very vehicle dominated.  I prefer to play infantry.  Can infantry ever be competitive?

6) BR 6 doesn't seem like it's going to be enough to contribute.  I'm guessing they know this and it's why they limit free play to BR 6.  Any suggestions for a BR 6 wishing to play infantry?  I got a cert for some armor with vehicle weapons... but it took forever to actually kill anything.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 08:39:10 AM

1. There's a lot to it. Spend a lot of time trying stuff out, they never seemed (years ago when I was a nub) to explain things like the rules for combat engineer placeables (certain distance between certain placeables, how to place more than one boomer, SOI placement rules, etc). You can figure it out with trial and error, but it's a pain. Maybe the new tutorials help some, dunno.

2. I got into this in the other thread. These folks know the game cold. Get used it for a while, no matter your BR. Even my BR12 guy doesn't have a lot of utility, especially compared to BR20+ guys with CR ranks.

3. Learn the cone of fire quirks, and how each weapon works. I have a burning hatred for the Jackhammer, there's a crazy triple shot it can do that just shreds you. If you open fire, every shot after the first is more inaccurate up to a certain max wide spread. Learn why lots of fps players bitch about the cone of fire, we had some big brouhaha about it here a couple months ago iirc. I like the thumper (grenade launcher).

4. Not sure. You can zoom in and sometimes see players beyond your normal zoom clip plane. Also, snipers have a long zoom. Most weapons have at least 2x or 4x zoom. Most players know how to exploit this to its fullest benefit (I don't, I'm 'experienced' but I suck, I just play for funs). There is an implant that allows people to see you when you're moving, and engineers can place radar so everyone sees a red dot on the minimap where an enemy is, and mosquitos flying slow will also lend radar abilities to everyone in the area. Everyone will be looking for the red dots.

5. Don't call attention to yourself. Lay low and let vehicles pass by if you can. Infantry rules base caps. Infantry also fills out vehicle crews between base caps. There are some anti-vehicle weapons, not sure how everything is balanced right now since they've tweaked it a lot since I played last. Infantry is also more important in the stupid caves.

6. Your best 'infantry' bet might be UniMAX. Technically you're not infantry, but HEAVY infantry :P They're fun newb roles, I started in MAX armor. They also have some anti-vehicle capabilties and the Vanu version have jumpjets. Sniping can be a PITA, playing infantry without REXO (reinforced armor) is a PITA. REXO gives you two rifle slots, so you can whip out the AA or AV gun when needed, and pistol slots for hacking tools or med tools or whatever.

Even being BR10 with my guy is limiting. I wish they just removed all 'exp' from the damned game, but mmogtards need their achievements, I guess. But again, if we roll some vehicles, you can rack up experience as a gunner without certing for anything. I personally dislike the hover vehicles :P You can also jump into turrets for base defense and be pretty effective in a limited way.

Bandit: I noticed that new aircraft, might cert my flier alt to check it out. The slowness of recert is another bummer for newbs (self included).
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 08:45:42 AM

6. Your best 'infantry' bet might be UniMAX. Technically you're not infantry, but HEAVY infantry :P They're fun newb roles, I started in MAX armor. They also have some anti-vehicle capabilties and the Vanu version have jumpjets. Sniping can be a PITA, playing infantry without REXO (reinforced armor) is a PITA. REXO gives you two rifle slots, so you can whip out the AA or AV gun when needed, and pistol slots for hacking tools or med tools or whatever.

I did exactly this last night and got a cert in the vehicle based Max armor.  I was hoping that it may help take things down a bit faster.  I'll experiment more. 

Thanks for the input Sky, it's appreciated. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 09:05:04 AM

One of the best pieces of advice I was given about Planetside was "Specialize you Tard. You're not fucking Rambo, so stop trying to do everything."    Play around in live combat a bit, find a weapon you like based on its description/ use and build yourself around that.  

Skys right about the UNI-MAX cert, though.  It's one of the BEST ways of specializing without limiting your options.  Anti-Personnel, Anti-Armor and Anti-Air along with high-survivability for only 6 points.

Ed: - ALSO: be very very sure to use some time to set-up "favorites" at the load-out consoles.   These make reequiping while in a sieged location MUCH MUCH less painful and so much quicker it's insane.   Hit console - favorites popup - hit # of loadout, you're done.  It sets-up your inventory, armor and ammo based on whatever you setup.

It also makes it much, much quicker to specalize your role if you use the favorites.  I recall I had one specific loadout just for killing Vanu tanks.  I was toast against infantry, but when getting blasted to hell and back inside a tower by a tank camping outside, it was easy to just load that up and take care of the fucker, then go back to the anti-inf loadout.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:27:54 AM by Merusk »

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 09:24:30 AM

2. I got into this in the other thread. These folks know the game cold. Get used it for a while, no matter your BR. Even my BR12 guy doesn't have a lot of utility, especially compared to BR20+ guys with CR ranks.

A BR25 playing with implants is definitely going to have an advantage...but not to the extent you might think.  A player can be certified for everything in the game, but you can only use so many certs at any given time. 

4) Apparently there are people that can see me but I can't see them... and I'm not talking about stealthers.  Are there mods for this game that people use like radar and targeting bots?

There are certainly "hacks" in the game (not experienced it myself that I am aware of) and Planetside seems to be hell bent on getting rid of hacks at the moment, not sure to what degree of success.
5) This game seems very vehicle dominated.  I prefer to play infantry.  Can infantry ever be competitive?

There seems to be a complete counter-argument to this on the PS boards.  Apparently there was an Anti-Vehicle buff sometime recently, and people claim that vehicles are severely underpowered compared to AV Infantry.  Can't substantiate this at all though, as I have only played once in the past year or so.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 09:58:57 AM

Take the UniMax if you suck at FPSs. You can usually get at least 1 for 1 kills with it. You can also take the two engineer certs which lets you drop mines and turrets in addition to repairing vehicles.

The Rocket ATV is kind of fun and the rockets are pretty strong. You can take out a Lightning with it easy but it is somewhat hard to control as you are moving so fast.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:02 AM

A BR25 playing with implants is definitely going to have an advantage...but not to the extent you might think.  A player can be certified for everything in the game, but you can only use so many certs at any given time. 
I disagree. For infantry, you can have a lot more situational utility. Having two rifle slots and two pistol slots, and enough certs to have several loadout presets is powerful, even if it's not directly more powerful in pure firepower damage terms. Like my stealth engineer who is specialized into combat engineering, having enough certs for rexo to carry more ACEs doesn't help in combat because I don't have a variety of weapons (indeed, I'd take the newbie rifle and a repair gun). It's the ability to combine cert utility and especially the ability to quickly change loadouts entirely.

And to underscore what Merusk said, having presets is an essential skill. Even with a limited guy, I'll fill my presets. One good thing at the bottom is an 'armor reset' with the newbie agile armor and a pack full of healing kits. Switch out of damaged REXO into that and use the heal packs, then switch back to rexo at full armor points. But even with the same loadout, I might change things around so I have a pistol out on equipping, or one loadout with grenades, etc. Mix and match and maximize those loadouts!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 10:21:21 AM

You wanna be infantry? Get Rexo. Get Medium assault. Get Medical. EDIT - Get Engi, to repair vehicles and your extra rexo armor.

Standard assault setup for a BR 6  should be something like : Pulsar (Slot One, standard rifle) - Shotgun (Slot 2, up close and personal)

The Pulsar is a sweet little gun. Learn to kneel, zoom then shoot. Do not hold down the fire button, do a "super tap" until your cone is too large. Switch the Anti armor mode versus MAXes and light armor, or run your ass off.

Sniping in this game is one of the best I have found. You have to be steady, and aim where they are going to be. Hell, you even have to factor in the velocity of the sniper shot. I believe they added a noob sniper weapon that any medium assault can grab. Fuck that, get the real deal :)

If it were me with a BR 6 guy, I'd probably go Engi, medium assualt, Tank driver. I think that would fit....

Also, grenades FTW. You can bounce those nice plasma nados down into spawn areas for some nice AOE damage (a wanna be thumper whore)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:57:52 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 10:24:14 AM

It's the ability to combine cert utility and especially the ability to quickly change loadouts entirely.

Completely agreed, they are more flexible and certainly more dangerous.  I was just trying to point out that at one point in time, you can only be using so many certs.  Like your stealth engineer for example...you can only carry very limited weaponry, basically a pistol and some CE stuff. Which would be the same limitations as a B25, with an inflitration suit on.  He could go change equipment on the fly and have more options, but a BR25 stealther essentially has the same limitations for carrying equipment as a BR6r (implants will help though). 

Not really arguing that a BR25 is tougher and they generally kick my noobish-FPS ass, just they have to pick and choose what equipment they must be using at any certain time like everyone else....they just have better options and better weaponry when choosing :P
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 10:33:19 AM

Supporting fire, Sticking with your squadmates, learning to hot-drop, not being shot by your squadmates, being NC with the Jackhammer up close and going full auto, these are the ways to win.

I think I play a lot like Sky, I always am lacking a cert or two to get to the next base in a hurry with the rest of my squad, So I end up going for combat engineering and mining the road one base ahead. It's great seeing 6 kills from a mine going across your screen all at once.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 10:59:10 AM

This really is the way to play planetside :)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 11:42:28 AM

Like your stealth engineer for example...you can only carry very limited weaponry, basically a pistol and some CE stuff. Which would be the same limitations as a B25, with an inflitration suit on.  He could go change equipment on the fly and have more options, but a BR25 stealther essentially has the same limitations for carrying equipment as a BR6r (implants will help though). 
But I'm only in Inf armor because I'm limited in certs. I'd rather go rexo + combat engy + weapon certs + adv hacking + ATV or something to get around in.

Inf would be a nice alternative, too. But for now it's just to fit in other certs.

Slay: Ahh...I forgot about that newbie sniper rifle. I wondered how the heck I had a sniper preset without the cert! And why it was so crappy when I was using it last night. Nice picture  shocked
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 11:52:30 AM

Other thing I forgot - get in a turret and defend a base - have someone else repair you. Good points that way. Repair and heal everything you can.

Those BR25 people will outscore you most likely. If you heal/repair them you can leech some of their points. (Plus it's the right thing to do).

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 01:25:34 PM

The Other sniper rifle was a veteran reward.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 11:11:54 PM

Ok, for those looking for small tips while you practice:

THE most effective infantry squads have the following strengths:

--they focus fire. Anyone that isn't an FPS uber-expert is going to get owned by those that are when solo. The way to beat this is to work as a team, and have 2:1 or even better 3:1 firepower against single targets--they will drop like nothing.

--fields of fire: cover each other--don't ever get caught by yourself. This is one of the reasons why advanced medic is so very important in a support role--if you have a mini-squad of 2-4 people, and one dies, you've lost what we just talked about above, because the one that died has to go back and respawn. With an advanced med, they can be ressurected in place. This keeps you together, which is critical.

Here's a couple of mini-squads that work really well together:

--3 lasher (heavy assault) and 2 combat support, defending inside bases. You are going to own pretty much everything except for an Anti-Infantry max. Your combat support should have at least 1 adv med (preferrably 2, but you deal), and at least one eng, combat eng nicer. Vanu are wierd, in that their infantry simply dominate at medium to long range indoors, but their maxxes dominate outdoors. Vanu defending an Interlink facility is an NC's worst nightmare, and TR aren't very excited about it either.

--2-3 max (two anti-inf and one anti-armor is awesome) with 2 support. Repair is critical here. Again, defend inside (although tbh, I'm not really good with Vanu max tactics--they are pretty powerful outdoors with their jump jets if you can use them well).

If/when we get 10+ on, we simply have either 2 of the above mini-squads, or even 2 of the same. They take up mutually supporting positions, and can even share their support teams once they learn to work together well.

The big thing really in being effective in any cert level, any squad combination is to pick the right fights. Lashers against reavers is bad news, infantry maxxes against vechiles is really bad news, and charging 3 locked down TR anti-infantry maxxes in agile armor is just plain funny.

If you aren't in the right configuration for a particular fight scenario, avoid it. THAT is why having more certs is so nice, because you can reconfigure very quickly to adapt to a fight situation.

Rumors of War
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 11:18:55 PM

This really is the way to play planetside :)

That's not even close :P

I've participated in a 4 gal, 20 tank, 5 ams and 20 skeeter base takedown, with a flight of 6 libs softening up the target area for 5 mins prior.

Was the most amazing fun I've had in a computer game playing with others, ever.

Rumors of War
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Bat Country : Planetside advice thread  
Jump to: