Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Recommend a good reviewer by name 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recommend a good reviewer by name  (Read 3382 times)
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

on: February 05, 2007, 09:09:00 AM

I'm reading a couple of gushing Vanguard reviews today and it occurs to me that I can't think of a single game reviewer (other than the fine front page reviews here of course) by name who I felt had a clue.

Film, music, books I can think of a couple of reviewers each who don't seem to have their heads up their asses, not so with games.

And I mean by name of the reviewer, not a site.

Thanks!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:22:42 AM

I don't have a direct answer to your question, however I would like to save you a lot of aggravation and suggest you skip Vanguard in favor of a licensed AAA MOG which is not yet available for purchase.  It is not made by Funcom or Mythic.

Unless, of course, you really liked EQ a lot.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:55:56 AM

I agree. There's no way I'm purchasing Vanguard. Giving those people money just rewards the behavior.

My issue was that if they'll give Vanguard a glowing review they'll give anything a good review.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:45:39 PM

If your intent is to separate the slobbercocks from the Real Journalists in game-journalism, I can also save you a lot of time without answering your question.  Find a Real Journalist in any medium and work your way towards the game industry from there.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:44:03 PM

Does Stephen Kent still do his thing for msnbc.com?  He always seemed level-headed and honest.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:50:08 AM

Charlie Brooker.

His Mac Review
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:58:42 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 05:38:51 AM

If Julian Rignall would come back to reviewing games, I'd mention him. And if you don't believe he's that good ...

I'd mention Gary Penn before him, but nobody has made a wikipedia entry for poor old Gaz, who used to be Julian Rignall's boss.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:38:02 PM

I've always like William R. Trotter. He specializes in wargames.

In Ye Olde Comptaire days, Scorpia was interesting.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 06:06:06 AM

Charlie Brooker.

His Mac Review

That was good.

I like Tom Chick (freelancer for Yahoo and a bunch of other sites and magazines) because he can writes and is brutally honest. Not that I always agree.

And I like Kieron Gillen (PCZone and Eurogamer) for pretty much the same reasons. I even agree with him most of the time.
My own reviews are of course excellent, but in a language none of you understand and not really written for the hardcore gamer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 05:58:35 PM

Rants are good and all but isn't bashing for 'one button' mouse is decade out of date flame? Most mice these days have 3-10 buttons and scroll wheel on both macs and PCs.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 01:38:48 AM

Rants are good and all but isn't bashing for 'one button' mouse is decade out of date flame? Most mice these days have 3-10 buttons and scroll wheel on both macs and PCs.

Not the ones you get when you buy a Mac.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 02:01:13 PM

Yea, Trotter (his Close Combat books are classics), Chick, and Gillen are all good.

I'd also throw in Bill Harris (who I think is a financial guy that just happens to have a gaming blog, Dubious Quality), and Bill Abner from the Blog for the Sports Gamer is also great.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Recommend a good reviewer by name  
Jump to: