Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I started yesterday and I'm already a six-months vet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I started yesterday and I'm already a six-months vet  (Read 6250 times)
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

on: January 11, 2007, 11:11:53 AM

I picked up EQ2 as a goof while at Best Buy yesterday, installed it, downloaded an epically-sized patch, and created my very first character.  My baby steps into Faerie Land as a High Elf Conjurer were interrupted by a vet reward message.  "Ah!" I said to my freshly summoned bug, "that must be for the clockwork copter thingy advertised on the box!"  However, when I laid down my /claim, I found a long list of goodies with the last listed as a six-month gift.

Not even a day-old and I'm already being greeted with honors.  So, I'm not complaining.  In fact, SOE can throw in a 50th level character or three while they're at it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:14:38 AM by Damn Dirty Ape »
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:50 AM

As more of an incentive to purchase the expansions, Desert of Flames and Kingdom of Sky rewarded players with 3 months of "play time" and the vet rewards that went along with it.  My understanding is that the Echoes of Faydwer box has all of these expansions, hence the vet rewards. I thought Echoes of Faydwer also gave 3 months, but I guess not.  Not sure if you could claim you copter either, unless you already have, my assumption was that was only for pre-orders....could be wrong on that (as I usually am)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:16:16 PM

I earned my vet rewards and I froth that others are given them freely.  Bring back staring at the spellbook!

I am kidding of course.  Related, the EQ2 vet rewards for time served in EQ were nicer than what I got for my nine-year-old UO account.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:06 PM

I claimed my copter along with a wee monkey to place in a room I rented at the inn in the wood elf city.  The only furniture I could afford at some treant merchant was a barrel.  But I skipped on that because of the negative connetations a barrel has for a newbie.

I had misgivings for EQ2 for the longest time because of my disdain (grind, lack of solo play, and death penalty) for EQ earned during a brief stint back in '01.  But after reading through some of the posts here, I decided to give it a go while taking a break from WoW.  About three hours in and my conjurer is already 10th level, and looks like Legolas in a ratty bathrobe with a tree branch strapped to his back and followed by a bug.  That image just screams adventure, doesn't it?  But I do like the quest system so far.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:47:10 PM

The touch I really enjoyed was that there are objects in the world that you can interact with to get quests.  Hover your cursor over everything, you never know what it may lead to.  Also the librarian in the mage towers/libraries will often sell you books that are actually very good experience quests (monster catalogs, etc.). 

They've done some very neat things in this game...

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:48:01 PM

> But I skipped on that because of the negative connetations a barrel has for a newbie.
Flashbacks to Donkey Kong?

"Me am play gods"
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:16 PM

Nice, at level 10 it starts to get interesting with Achievement Points.  Just as an aside, currently there is a 20% experience bonus for the frostfell event....so take full advantage of that.  I started a new alt recently, and even with no vitality,  I have gotten him to 47 in three weeks playing semi-casually.  Over a year ago it would have taken me at least 3 months to do that.

Take full advantage of questing, maximizes XP and your Achievement point XP.....also as a tip, if you do want to blow through levels, pay attention to collection quests.  You can get some cheap level 60 and 70 collections through the broker if you know what your looking for.  They provide sweet XP and Achievement points for turning collections.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 01:05:46 PM

How is vitality accumulated?  I may have inadvertently ignored that bit from the newbie speeches given by NPCs when I started as I was gripped by newbie bloodlust so typically experienced when I first start a game.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 01:07:30 PM

> But I skipped on that because of the negative connetations a barrel has for a newbie.
Flashbacks to Donkey Kong?

I knew that game worked on some sort of metaphorical level.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:08:14 PM

How is vitality accumulated?  I may have inadvertently ignored that bit from the newbie speeches given by NPCs when I started as I was gripped by newbie bloodlust so typically experienced when I first start a game.

Every hour you get .5% (I think) vitality. Just log out and let it accumulate.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 06:23:04 AM

yeah the game is working for me now, finally.  And I've complained a lot here about it.  Me and the gf are playing it as our only MMO at the moment.  It's vastly improved for levelling and usability, and economy (maybe most importantly).
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:09:22 AM

Normalization used for leveling.  You get bonus xp while you have vitality, but lose it as you gain experience.  I believe it rengerates from 0% to 100% in about 7 days.  A system basically to help the casual players keep a bit of pace with the hardcore players.  It is also used in tradeskilling XP, in fact, I wouldn't even consider tradeskilling if I didn't have tradeskill vitality.  You can hover over your XP bar to check out how much vitality you have and it also shows up on your XP bar as a down arrow as you are approaching 0%.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:48:36 AM

So have they added-in any neat looking armor, or is it still the same blobby unattractive crap it was at the start?  I'm ever the fashion whore in my MMOs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 10:06:43 AM

Yeah it appears to be one of their focal points.  To date, they have added many different armour sets, some good, some bad and some class profession hats some completely bad ass (see shadownight, see fury) and some hopelessly shitty (see brigand, see illusionist).  Apparently, they are reworking the skeletal system for characters to make it easier to produce appealing armour quickly....but that is only in the works, and we will have to see.  I wish I had some pics for you, but far too much work  cool

Overall, I'd say they are doing a better job....but not always successful.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 10:58:50 PM

So have they added-in any neat looking armor, or is it still the same blobby unattractive crap it was at the start?  I'm ever the fashion whore in my MMOs.

In a way EQ2 is leading the pack in being socially responsiible.  They have shown that the corroded sheet metal plates from beached supertankers can be put to effective recycled use in medevil armor :P

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 04:35:57 AM

Because wearing fucking GWAR reject costumes is so much cooler. Go back to WoW, J.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 08:54:11 AM

Because wearing fucking GWAR reject costumes is so much cooler. Go back to WoW, J.

I am, I am.  Every once in awhile though when I get bored with wow - I load up EQ2.  It makes me appreciate what I have ;)

Do a little thought experiment with me:  Take the armor sets in EQ2 and reduce their polygon count - what are you left with?  Not much to look at (not that it was much to start).  Now, take the WoW armor sets and increase their polygon count - chances are you are left with something that looks much more appealing than before.

WoW started with an artistic style - which will not appeal to everyone - and made their armor.  It can be sexxed up with polygon count increases easy enough.  EQ2 start with NO art - ostensibly - and based the appeal of their armor almost entirely on detailed presentation through polygon counts.

You know - it may be that poor EQ2 is going to have update the "appeal" of the graphics of their game (more polygons!) - before they reach any reasonalbe ROI on their current product.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:59:40 AM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 12:10:16 PM

Yeah, we got it. Two years ago.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I started yesterday and I'm already a six-months vet  
Jump to: