Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:18:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: So, Hellgate: London. And raiding. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, Hellgate: London. And raiding.  (Read 8305 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: January 10, 2007, 10:09:08 AM

Since they've revealed that it will have Guild Wars-esque features and monthly fees, I supposed it's really an MMO now. With single player.

ANYways, so they've revealed there will be raiding, as mentioned in the front news thread.

In addition to yesterday's announcement that Hellgate: London will be shipping in Summer 2007, developer Flagship Studios revealed this week that the game's multiplayer component is a subscription-based MMO. Speaking to Shacknews at CES in Las Vegas, CEO Bill Roper noted that the game is a full scale massively multiplayer game, with genre trappings such as guilds, continually developed content, a full social system, and raid-type gameplay.

My hope and prayer will be that it won't be that 3 or 4 godly items drop for 40 people. Or clearing 'trash' to get to bosses.

What I'd like to have happen is that all 40 of those people get, say in Diablo 2 terms, a unique item. Yeah, you could go kill Diablo by yourself and get one, but this is something that has the potential to be done faster, and you could get items.

If the best items are only gotten through raiding, I'm gonna cry.

Any thoughts on this?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20:27 AM

I only hope it drops loot and everyone can pick it up for a massive clickfest to ninja everything!

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:55:16 AM

The online subscription fees I could do without.

The unlimited randomly generated combat married to pseudo-RPG action gameplay, on the other hand, has ensnared my gamer lions with hooks of white hot passion.

Elder Scrolls Daggerfall...
In post-apocolyptic demon-infested London...
With better gameplay...
...and now fully Online.

I'm sorry, maybe the gameplay videos do not impress, but I suspect that actually being in the pilot seat with this game will be a formidable situation.

garthilk
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:59:20 AM

Honestly they've got a lot of things going for them and I look forward to what they bring to the market. Even if it doesn't work out I imagine a nice amalgam of ideas and gameplay styles.

Building and Destorying the Truth in Equal Measure
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:21:13 PM

Need more Hellgate threads.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:24:28 PM

Hell Gate: F13 Politics Forum

"Me am play gods"
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:33:26 PM

.. has ensnared my gamer lions ...

You have lions that game with you? No fair! My tabby cat just lays around all day.

- Viin
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:57:53 PM

I might be interested in the raid stuff if it means 40 guys fighting off thousands of creatures swarming in on them, or one big complicated boss fight where everyone has to work together but everyone can deal with their healing too.

Time to upgrade my PC?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:45:43 PM

Just FYI from HellGateguru.com

We have a short interview with Ivan Sulic, Flagship Studios' community manager of Hellgate: London concerning the recent hubbub that's been going around the gaming media concerning the online subscription fees for the game.

Scaper-X
    You folks are the talk of the internet.

Ivan
    Lots of hubbub over some Bill quote or misquote. I haven't even been able to follow up on just what he said yet. The directors still have not finalized what exactly our online component will be. So Moses didn't have the good lord blast a $500 a month price tag into stone or whatever.

Scaper-X
    The phrase being quoted most of all is, "I think that just as Diablo and Diablo II started this religious argument over whether they're RPGs or not, I think that Hellgate willspark that same debate over whether it's an MMO or not."

Ivan
    Well, that quote is more about the content. Since we're instance based and revolve predominantly on party gameplay and we're not technically a persistent state game. EA contacted Shack news? What'd they say?

Scaper-X
    "Update: Since posting our original news item on the matter, Shacknews has been contacted by Electronic Arts, which is co-publishing the game along with Namco Bandai. EA noted that there has not in fact been any final decision made as to Hellgate: London's online pricing model, be it subscription-based or otherwise. We respect this situation, while maintaining that have reported fairly on statements we received. A full interview is forthcoming."

Ivan
    Yeah, we haven't made a final decision. Seriously, the directors debate about this quite a bit. Basically, we want to do ongoing content. We don't want it to be like Diablo where we had a patch and an expansion and that's that. We really want to do ongoing content. So the directors have to just figure out how the hell we're going to pay for that. Could be anything. Really.

Scaper-X
    Are continuing expansion packs still on the table in lieu of monthly fees?

Ivan
    Could be the bonus dvd does it or subscription or real money transactions or auctions or micro purchases or lots of smaller expansions. Could seriously be anything. Which is why they still debate some. So... Until the reach a decision, whatever that is, and then print it across the web in a release, it's all going to be speculation and misunderstandings and odd quotes

Scaper-X
    How's HG:L being received at the event, out of curiosity?

Ivan
    People love it. But, its Consumer Electronics...so everyone wants to know about the machines first. Then they're like, oh yeah, the game looks good, too

Scaper-X
    Heh. Ooh, that reminds me, you can snuff a rumor that rose out of the ashes of an old interview: will the game play properly on a dual core system? Supposedly someone found an interview from March 06 that said it would not.

Ivan
    It will for sure. We're showing at intel right now on Core 2 Duo, Quad and Extreme around the show floor. We have specific optimizations going in, too

Scaper-X
    Perfect. And is the game capable of utilizing hyperthreading?

Ivan
    Yes. Yes it is

Scaper-X
    Fantastic.

So there you have it. Monthly fees are not confirmed.
-- Scaper-X
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:21:52 PM

Much of that we've seen over here, but thanks for bringing it up anywho.  A natural hazard of having multiple Hellgate threads.

To me, it seems as though they're just looking for some way to keep the development team hired and working on Hellgate after its release.  Expansions are kinda cumbersome, they're looking for a better approach.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:26:16 PM

edit: Whoops

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:18:33 PM

Subscription model? For a Diablo game?

Fuck that.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:21:15 PM

Yes, EA is looking for a better approach toward your wallet.  Basically they are going to do something to get paid after the retail box, maybe a monthly, maybe not.  I'm thinking expansions plus RMT if Roper can't get EA's balls out of his face.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:29:40 PM

A complicating factor behind Hellgate: London is it comes with unlimited content from release.  To an extent.  Randomly generated maps only provide so much novelty.  Expansions would likely add not only new map aspects into the random generator, but also new classes, new enemies, ect.

Of course, there's a certain question of if you're absolutely bored of the very core of the game.  Expansions are only necessary if you've exhausted the content but you want to keep playing.  I keep hearing that it's not a great game.  Is that all video impressions or is there a bit of E3 in there as well?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 02:27:47 AM

I thought it looked like Hexxen, updated for the 90's.

Make of that what you will.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 03:47:41 AM

Well its about time an MMOG released a singleplayer portion. I don't know if I'm the only one but that makes buying the box much more appealing.

On the otherhand I'd rather it not be a game I thought was gonna be a one-off purchase up til now.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 03:50:31 AM

Age of Conan will be doing the same thing. Only it seems to be more MMO than single player. Kind of the other way around for Hellgate.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:17 AM

Much of that we've seen over here, but thanks for bringing it up anywho.  A natural hazard of having multiple Hellgate threads.

Yeah sorry, I knew there was another hellgate thread but I wasn't totally sure where I saw it (new to these forums).
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 06:55:22 AM

Yeah, the MMO content only being up in the air at this point was talked about in the frontpage thread. This is more of a game mechanics 'WTF RIADING?!!1' thread.

Take from that what you will.

I like the idea of multiple groups starting split off and meeting together at the end for the boss, as long as there isn't some dumb puzzle where you have to wait for other people, because people will bitch about it and not do the mission if they have to wait for other people. Minimal waiting and barrier to entry for raiding.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 07:21:35 AM

Yeah, why the hell won't people sit around and wait in a game?

It's so goddamned fun. That's why it's called the Waiting Game. Stupid newbies.

Who hid the green text
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: So, Hellgate: London. And raiding.  
Jump to: