Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:44:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Football Playoffs 2006 - 2007 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Football Playoffs 2006 - 2007  (Read 23139 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #70 on: January 21, 2007, 06:57:45 PM

Come on Peyton, dangit, don't make me have to root for the Bears.

Edit: Praise the FSM!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:19:30 PM by Trippy »
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 21, 2007, 10:13:16 PM

That was an incredible game.  I wasn't even going to be upset if the Pats won it, both teams played great.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #72 on: January 22, 2007, 03:59:47 AM

So, you can imagine that the 1930's Bears fight song is playing behind me, because I've got the TV on, and in the time it takes to type this, it will be.  The Chicago media is as gaga over the Bears as they were doubtful of Grossman, and the fans much the same.  I can understand the giddiness, because not only was Grossman mistake free, the early season defense was back.

The Colts are early favorites (There goes the damn fight song again, I'm gonna hate that thing by the time this is over) which is good, because I think everybody picking the Saints really lit a fire under the team.  If the Bears team that played today shows up in the Super Bowl, the bookies will bite it big time.  If it weren't for Des Clark's late motion penalty, the Bears would have racked up a perfect game; no penalties, no turnovers, and no sacks.  We'll forgive Clark, though, for the blocking he did, not just the open field block on Thomas' last touchdown, but for the beautiful job he did on Thomas' 30 yarder, where Clark blew out the outside contain man and then spun around and buried the seal man coming from the inside, leaving Thomas a gap I could have hit.  Freaking one man O line.

The Colts/Patriots was exciting, a great game, but I couldn't help watching the two goalline fumbles for touchdowns, and thinking how bad those guys were at recovering fumbles, compared to what I'm used to with the Bears.

Colts are a good team, but the Bears match up decently against them, and if the Bears team that played today shows up, Colts lose.

Oh, yeah, by the way, Hillenmeyer was right.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: January 22, 2007, 09:57:06 AM

First half of the Colts game and I'm thinking, "Dear God, do NOT make me watch a fucking Pats/Bears Super Bowl." That would have been grim fucking death, the snoozefests of all snoozefests Super Bowls. I so wanted the Saints and Colts to win so we'd actually have some goddamn offense in the Super Bowl again. I don't miss the old blowout games, but fucking hell, I want to see SOME offense. The last good offensive Super Bowl game was the Carolina/Pats Super Bowl of a few years ago. The Eagles/Pats game wasn't bad, but it had TO. No, he doesn't deserve the fucking periods.

The worst part is the Saints should have won. But they never, ever bothered with the running game. The Bears run defense isn't all that. But if you sit back and pass pass pass, they will blitz the piss out of you, and you WILL eventually cough it up or throw an INT or something. Peyton just completely forgot that he had a great 1-2 punch in the running game and had he just bothered to pound Deuce up the middle for a drive or two, that passing game would have opened up. Did New Orleans even bother running in the second half? It was all pass, which was retarded in the extreme. It's hard for a fast defense like New Orleans has to stop the Chicago running game when their offense is giving them 3 and outs all the goddamn time. The Saints believed their own hype and lost because of it. This Bears team? NOT THAT GOOD. Thomas Jones is not that good a back, and they stopped Benson early. Grossman is a fucking liability, especially if the running game is held. The Saints got outcoached and outworked.

The Colts game was a good one, a nail-biter, at least from about 6 minutes left in the first half on. That first quarter was PAINFUL to watch. I'm no Brady hater, I actually like the guy and the Pats approach, but FUCK. I want someone else in the Bowl, someone more exciting. The Colts are that team. Brady and the O Line needs to take Reche Caldwell into the locker room and gang rape his ass. You cannot drop that many passes when you are WIDE FUCKING OPEN and still be considered a wide reciever. I've seen fullbacks with better hands. The one in the endzone was bad enough, but the one where the Colts didn't even bother to cover him is inexcusable. And he had that same "going spare" look on his face. He was deer in the headlights useless once he dropped that first one. The Colts won that one, but Brady didn't lose it. He couldn't have thrown those balls any better. I got worried on that Colts 3 and out with 3:40 something left, as they threw down the field 3 times, without even bothering to go to the run game that had been working. But they saved it in the end. That's the one Achilles Heel of the high-powered offenses like the Saints and Colts. They won't to always go deep instead of running the clock. Stop that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #74 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:45 AM

My girlfriend stayed home last night, and around half-time I was going to call her up. I was thinking 'ah shit, another spanking by the Pats' *yawn*  So glad I didn't that turned out to be a spectacular game, almost everyone was playing great...except Reche Caldwell. I haven't seen crazy eyes like that since I had a landlord on the run from the DEA and on a 7-day crank binge come running through our house. Which might explain the dropped passes, anyway.

Grossman...say hello to my little Freeney.

Colts 28-13
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #75 on: January 22, 2007, 03:18:15 PM

I'm from Indiana, was a Bears fan before the Colts came to town and I'm not switching.  It is awesome that both teams got there, 1st time for the Indy Colts (the other 2 were in Baltimore), and 2nd time for the Bears.  Now if it would just snow in Miami it would make a killer Super Bowl  :-D
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #76 on: January 22, 2007, 05:07:22 PM

The media in Chicago seem somehow surprised that the Bears coaches and players are happy to have won the NFC Championship.  Apparently, more angst is needed.  The media is working to fill the angst gap, as we speak.

Edit:

Ran into this Dr. Z column on the SI website.  Apparently he feels it was ungentlemanly of the Bears to not let the Saints keep the football, and that the Saints should have used the Quarterback Sack play.  I can certainly agree, the Bears have been much more successful since the offense added the Touchdown Play to its repertoire.

Sorry for the sarcasm, couldn't resist.  Certainly if the Bears hadn't done the things they've done all season to win games, and if the Saints hadn't gotten totally owned at the line of scrimmage, the game would have been different.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:56:53 PM by Evangolis »

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 24, 2007, 01:08:13 PM

Epic game.  Epic.  I don't care about the Pats or Colts, though I do have a lot of admiration for the Pats organization, but that was one of the most memorable games I've ever watched.

At least this year's real Super Bowl was on championship game weekend, unlike last year's divisional round Bowl.  If the spread somehow goes below 7 I can't see a reason not to bet everything I own.  Except, of course, the prospect of losing it.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Football Playoffs 2006 - 2007  
Jump to: