Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  (Read 6700 times)
Mediocre

Email
on: March 21, 2004, 11:11:37 PM

For some reason, I really want to see this movie.  Anyone know if it's any good?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 11:32:28 PM

Quote from: Mediocre
For some reason, I really want to see this movie.  Anyone know if it's any good?

http://www.f13.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 02:40:36 AM

Quote from: Mediocre

Yes, it's a must see. (Jesus Christ! I cant beleive I just said that)

I would suggest catching it in theaters if only for the subtleties in the surround sound.

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 04:58:42 AM

Yeah I really enjoyed the movie.  Although I literally rofl'ed as all the pieces fell into place towards the end of the movie and some guy across the aisle let out a loud "ahhhhh".

As a bonus, I got to catch the preview for Garden State.  I have been looking forward to this movie for awhile now.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 07:45:05 AM

Although I literally rofl'ed as all the pieces fell into place towards the end of the movie and some guy across the aisle let out a loud "ahhhhh".

LOL, no kidding. Same thing here.  It's not like it was meant to be a surprise or anything.  Hell, they outright SAID it right in the film about 40 minutes in, in one of the first dream sequences.  And then it continually got hammered home throughout the movie.  Hell, they pretty much came out and said it in the first 10 minutes if you are paying any attention.  Ah well.  Not meant to be a secret, but will be for idiots.

Onto my quick thoughts:
AWESOME movie.  Really one of my alltime best.  I have never seen better dream sequences in a movie.  I agree with seeing it in the theatre.  And a first run one at that.  The sound used in many parts of the movie is really enhanced by its positioning.  Helps with the dreamlike disorientation.

I made a point to not read any reviews going in (still haven't) but this was not quite the movie I expected.  I expected a movie that didn't make any sense, but this movie made a LOT of sense for the casual observer and there was a ton of symbolism if you like to read more into it.

Just don't go in expecting a Jim Carrey comedy, but that much should be obvious from previews.  I thought he did a very good job with the role and stayed in it even though it is so easy for him to leap out of character and be goofy.
airety

Email
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 10:01:22 AM

I am massively excited to see Eternal Sunshine... it's a matter of finding someone to go right now basically. That's all that has kept me from
seeing it yet, turns out people don't realize Jim Carrey != The Mask.

I'm also really excited for Garden State, not only do I like Zach Braff on Scrubs but Natalie Portman is all that is hot and nothing that is not.

Then on Friday I have to see Jersey Girl. It almost seems like I'm getting myself ready for a romantic comedy week... I better go see Dawn of the Dead too.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 10:17:49 AM

I would be all over this, except for the fact that the mere sight of Jim Carrey sends me into a mindless frothing rage. I really can't express how much I fucking hate him. It isn't rational, and it isn't negotiable.  If only being unfunny was ACTUALLY terminal...we could get rid of Carrot Top the same way.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 02:00:48 PM

Yeah, but he never at any point even attempts to be vaugely funny in this movie.

But you probably hate him like I hate Kevin Costner and the guy who played wesley crusher.  In which case I understand.  I just have that problem with different people than you do.
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 02:48:39 PM

Jim Carrey should die in a Fire Marshall Bill fire.

He is one of the least funny people on the planet, right up there with Jerry Lewis.

I first hated him on "In Living Color".  Still, I've seen several of his movies and always walk away thinking he sucks.  Spotless Mind is a movie I would rush to see, if someone else was playing the lead role.  

Is the movie good enough that I can overlook my hate for Carrey?  If so, I'll go see it first-run.  If not, I might rent it when it's out on DVD.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 03:26:57 PM

Quote from: Kyper
Is the movie good enough that I can overlook my hate for Carrey?  If so, I'll go see it first-run.  If not, I might rent it when it's out on DVD.

People go to movies to see certain people. They don't not go because a less than stellar actor is in a starring role. I'm not one to give two shits about Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine is a Charlie Kaufman movie, not a Jim Carrey Movie. Hell, even if you don't like Jim I don't think it can be argued that Bruce Almighty or Me, Myself and Irene weren't at least fun movies. (I will admit the grinch is nothing more than cock).

Where Eternal really shines is in it's narrative. Kaufman has really grown up since Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Adaptation. Eternal Sunshine has enough of an ensemble cast, that while it focuses on Jim, it never goes into that 'Ace Ventura' category of silliness. Of course, now that I've said that I expect Joe to chime in at any moment telling us how much 'Dumb and Dumber' is the greatest movie of all time.

But yes, put your hatred toward Jim Carrey away because Kaufman has tamed the beast.

Edit: Not going to see this would be like not going to see Requiem for a Dream because it has a Wayans' brother in it.
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 03:41:57 PM

Quote from: schild
But yes, put your hatred toward Jim Carrey away because Kaufman has tamed the beast.

Edit: Not going to see this would be like not going to see Requiem for a Dream because it has a Wayans' brother in it.

You've convinced me to give it a shot in the next week or so.  I'll let the Carrey haters know if you're right.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 07:36:07 AM

I agree fully with Schild.  I am sort of stunned, but there it is.  Jim Carrey does a great job in this film.  Because he is not Jim Carrey at all.  He is the character in the movie.  No mugging for the camera at all.  No Carrey sillyness at all.  In fact the character is patently sober with very little sense of humor.

It is the difference between Bill Murray in Caddyshack vs Lost in Translation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  
Jump to: