Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: A PS3 Project: Backward Compatibility 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A PS3 Project: Backward Compatibility  (Read 1624 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: January 02, 2007, 09:32:54 AM

This thread is a RFI for any PS2+PS3+HDTV owners.  I'm working on a small project to test PS2 games in a PS3 in order to see which ones suffer from The Problem.  I have reached the end of my library, and a couple others' libraries, and now I turn to the general F13 public for some input.  I would like to keep the noise to a minimum here, if only to avoid this turning into Every Other Thread on the Internet About This Issue.  I don't mind input from the SD people, actually, as long as you follow along with the spirit of Science.

The Project:  Basically this is a public-service sort of thing.  There does not seem to be a place (that I can find) that lists which PS2 games suffer from The Problem.  I find forum postings on the subject to be "all over the fucking map", as the kids say.  I intend to provide that list with some measure of accuracy, mostly by defining The Problem and checking for it using the same display hardware.

The Problem: If you have a PS2, PS3 and a HDTV then likely you are already aware of The Problem.  I expect most people in this set have put FFXII into their PS3 after copying over the memory cards and whatnot, only to find unsightly vertical banding, for lack of a better term.  Manifests itself as large sawtooth irregularities on the Squenix logo, but pervades most gameplay of affected titles.  It is very obvious in Okami.  If you don't see The Problem, then you cannot help me.

The Hardware: My tests are done on a PS2 component cable -> Pelican component switch -> Denon receiver -> 34" HD CRT capable of 480i/p and 1080i.  Sadly lacking 720p.  It is possilble that there is some sort of issue with the display components, however since I just move the PSx end of the component cable from one console to the other it seems unlikely.  In any case, if you can see The Problem on your hardware then I think we should be on the same page.  The actual problem with the PS3 seems to be in the deinterlacer, so varying the display should only make The Problem more or less noticeable.

The Test: Simply put, you just need to put your PS2 game(s) into the PS3 and see if it has the vertical banding problem.  If you are not really sure about it, put it into your PS2 and look at it using the same display setup.  If a game has an option for progressive scan (480p), please check both interlaced and progressive modes.

The List:  Don't bother to test any of the following unless you really want to.  If you find a result that differs from mine, let me know.  As you can see, my PS2 library is not exhaustive.

Has Problem
.hack//infection
Dark Cloud 2
Devil May Cry
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XII (better with Flicker Filter on)
Ico
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Katamari Damacy
Monster Rancher 4
Okami
Ratchet & Clank
Rule of Rose (I need to test this one again, I think)
Shadowhearts: Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2
The Mark of Kri
VirtuaFighter 4: Evolution
We Heart Katamari
Xenosaga Ep. 1

No Problem
Atelier Iris 1 + 2
Bully
Culdcept
Disgaea
Eternal Ring (nyuk nyuk)
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
Hitman: Contracts
Jak II
Kessen
La Pucelle
Metal Saga
Phantom Brave
Radiata Stories
Red Faction
Rez
River King
Shadowhearts
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Steambot Chronicles (looks like ass on either system)
Stella Deus
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
The Bouncer
The Simpsons: Road Rage
The Suffering
Timesplitters
Twisted Metal: Black

No Problem In Prog-scan Only
God of War
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet: Deadlocked
Shadow of the Colossus

CUTSCENE GOOD, GAME BAD
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Kingdom Hearts

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:58:42 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:04 AM

I remember that, but thanks for reminding me it is out there.  I can at least identify likely games that I should try to get and test.  It's not directly useful to translate into my list, one shining example being Radiata Stories.  RS does not exhibit The Problem in default 4:3 interlaced mode, while at the same time sporting 16:9 and prog-scan options.  Therefore I am not able to simply say "interlaced/progressive" and predict where I will see vertical banding.  It also does nothing to sort out the titles that do not have progressive scan.

I'll say this, though: I have not found a title that looked shitty in 480p.  I did not actually enable progressive in RS to check it out.  I assumed it was OK; the point of my testing is only to determine which games do not look like baboon ass on the PS3, and since it did not look like that on bootup, I did not pursue it further.  More testing needed.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: A PS3 Project: Backward Compatibility  
Jump to: