Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Confession: Your Pet Project(s) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confession: Your Pet Project(s)  (Read 24966 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 04:36:36 PM

Air conditioning + women in skimpy clothing year 'round makes it pretty tempting.

If you're into senior citizens, yes.  If you want to see younger women, I recommend southern CA.

You seem to be forgetting ASU and it's larger than the state of Wyoming enrollment.  I'm not sure what state stereotype pamphlet you picked up, but you were fed bad information.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:38:10 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 04:41:17 PM

How about some pictures to rectify this grave error in factoid information?

- Viin
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 04:58:21 PM

You seem to be forgetting ASU and it's larger than the state of Wyoming enrollment.  I'm not sure what state stereotype pamphlet you picked up, but you were fed bad information.

As a professor, I wouldn't be allowed to dip into that well were I there... shame that.  Also, you assume I've not spent a LOT of time in the Phoenix area. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 05:01:32 PM

I thought all the oldies were in Scottsdale.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 06:08:16 PM

Short: get some stuff done, change jobs

Mid: do some more stuff, make sustainable income for self and friends, wonder how far along Lum's game is

Long: rework playerep, do some other stuff, play Lum's game, bitch :)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: January 02, 2007, 06:38:14 PM

Damn you people, and your damn ambitious dreams and such.

Well, I guess I only have one I guess...

- Gain a commission from the USAF. Preferably as an Air Battle Manager, or a Navigator on a fighter. Unfortunately, the process is mostly a waiting game. And then, if/when I get in, graduate extremely high in my OTS class so I can choose to go overseas to Yokohama for the start of my training (about 2 years).

It's either that, or teach in Japan if it falls through.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 07:52:39 AM

Short: Get rid of my ADHD-like inability to write a story longer than 20 pages without getting distracted by a new idea. I'll start by trying the write everyday thing and settling on a genre once and for all.

Medium: Finish a novel. Just one damn it!

Long: Become an author and write books about how it's never too late to start. Finish my epic trilogy. Have "Tolkien who?" on my gravestone.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 08:42:42 AM

Old people? What? In Tempe?!

What?

Seriously. Scottsdale is the old rich folks (still a lot of hotties too), but the closer you get to a college campus, the better the viewing.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:16 AM

Longer Term (5-10 yrs):  Brain Imaging of Music

I spent many years as neuroscientist before moving into investments and then pharma in private sector.  I would like to go back to my roots of basic research someday.  Currently, I am very ignorant - but I am intrigued about doing a brain imaging study (functional MRI - brain activity) of global changes in a person's brain in response to music - and how that changes over time as they become familiar with the music and their emotional response to it.  Hard to get funding for such basic research oriented project - so raising financing for this will be just as challenginging as designing the study... if I pursue it.
Just read an interesting book on the subject.  http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0525949690
Quote from: Stray
I have about seven albums worth of song material sitting around. I'd like to cut one album's worth all on my own. Then I can be one of the cool kids that posts his own music on MySpace.

My setbacks have mostly been financial/technical. Not creative.
Man, grab one of those Fostex MR8HD units I just got. They are great. Not sure what your financial constraints are, but one of those plus a cd burner in your pc is all you really need for a basic cd.

In fact, that's one of my pet projects for the year (we'll call it 'short term'): recording a cd of actual finished tracks. Actually, finishing a track is my first goal. I'm really bad about that, I like to do one take and live with it. So far the track list is: Can't Be Satisfied by Muddy Waters, All Your Love by Otis Rush, Kind Hearted Woman by Robert Johnson by way of George Thorogood's slide version. I probably won't finish my spanishy jam by the end of the year, and it wouldn't fit the songlist anyway.

Another short term project is building an uberpc in a couple months (without using all the money I've saved for a mortgage!).

Viin - I almost bought a house bordering a private airstrip. Thought the planes would drive me nuts. :P

My middling term projects are many and varied. Buying a house is my main thing, and has been for a while now. I don't make a lot of dough, so I qualify for a SONYMA dealie where they pay closing costs and get me a sweet rate. So hopefully that'll happen this year. Along with the house is fleshing out my nascent recording setup into a more serious studio to do some projects for myself and others. Also with the house is a woodshop (Hi Ched!). I want to start out with mostly handtools, make some furniture and whatnot. Nothing fancy, a lot of rough wood and stumps. Finally, garden. I miss my garden-fresh veggies and herbs (not that herb you degenerates, though I would if I could!). In another ten years, sell that house and buy a place in the country with some forested land that I can't afford now.

Long term, just enjoy my hobbies. Hopefully retire some day. Viking funeral plus Irish wake.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 12:40:46 AM

Man, grab one of those Fostex MR8HD units I just got. They are great. Not sure what your financial constraints are, but one of those plus a cd burner in your pc is all you really need for a basic cd.

I still have my trusty old PowerMac for recording, but I sold my mics awhile back. And I'm picky about mics. Almost as picky as I am with guitars. The only thing I can record right now is MIDI/synth. I've yet to put this amp I have in a recording, and that's what I want to do (the Fender VK I posted some time back). As for the songs I have on the backburner, they were all recorded with a handheld and either an acoustic or my cheapo Vox. Just scrapbooks really.

I have some older stuff on file that I used to do for my brother's multimedia firm, and an old demo album for a friend's metal band too. I'd post them, but I'm not too proud of that stuff. It's not really me ;).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:44:43 AM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 07:21:19 AM

Meet me at camera three. (the guitar thread ;))
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 07:33:17 AM

Short | Get back in shape for some heavy hiking.

Mid | Finish the short story I have got banging around in my head and then figure out if I want to tackle a novel

Long | Pick a location to open a coffee shop and retire

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #47 on: January 05, 2007, 05:32:07 AM

Short Term: Finish my basement and lose 10 pounds (I need to lose 60, but this is a good place to start).

Mid Term: Get 3 promotions so that I can work from home (I want my 5 1/2 hours per day back dammit).

Long Term: Get my patent law degree, start a family, move back to CO.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 08:20:58 AM

Long | Pick a location to open a coffee shop and retire

Next door to me.  Please.

Short:  Buy some sort of machine that makes me thinner every time I use it. (like one of those bicycles or walky thingys)

Mid:     Use the machine.

Long:   Outlive the rest of my family.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 09:12:18 AM

Since Sauced and I joined a gym in November, I've lost 2.3% body fat, 3.5" off my waist, 2" off my hips and 1.5" off each thigh (for a total of only 7 lbs). I've been doing a lot of weights and getting very tight and buff. My triceps are so cut, yo! Too bad I didn't think to do this before the wedding, but whaddyagonnado.

The elliptical machine is my favorite because I hate running and it allows me to watch tv. It's amazing how fast 1/2 hour of cardio goes by when you're watching the food network.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 10:02:02 AM

It should have a little table attached in front so you could eat while you sweat. 

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 05, 2007, 10:29:44 AM

Long:   Outlive the rest of my family.

There's more than one way to accomplish that...

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #52 on: January 06, 2007, 03:34:14 AM

Short -

Start a martial art to lose some weight while enjoying myself instead of being bored senseless at a gym. I've found a convenient place that does Muay Thai. Once I get a bit fitter, there's also a Gracie Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu place not far from the Muay Thai place so I'm thinking of doing both in parallel. Being able to physically destroy people if needed is also a nice byproduct as well.

Build a new kickass computer.

Buy a bunch of other useless shit that I'd like to get. Full-sized Star Wars Helmets, a couple of Roman and Ancient Greek helmets, that sort of thing.

Pay off debts.

Medium -

Build or buy a house

Maybe go back to Uni and start a masters so I can go on to a doctorate later on. Might look into that in more of the shorter-term timeframe. Dunno.

Long -

Um, not sure yet. I reckon I've got enough in the short and med-term stuff to take care of.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: January 08, 2007, 02:19:30 PM

Do you mean that you want to make your own martial art?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: January 08, 2007, 02:52:45 PM

Once I get a bit fitter, there's also a Gracie Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu place not far from the Muay Thai place so I'm thinking of doing both in parallel.

The transformation won't be complete unless you also look like a bald ape ;)

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 08, 2007, 05:25:29 PM

Short - Write undergraduate thesis, sit exams, get a highly classed degree

Medium - Apply and get on to a Masters programme (preferably Cambridge but probably not)
             Get my Dive Leader qualification so I can do some more fun SCUBA diving.
             Finally do the whole driving licence thing.

Long - Not sure right now, guess I need to decide on a career. Either getting into law and becoming a barrister or going into something high paying and soul sucking in finance. Either that or try and put things off by becoming an army officer or doing a PhD (depending on how the Masters goes). Lots of options.
         Guess also learn a foreign language of some sort, got a basic knowledge of a few and would like to master at least one other at some point.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #56 on: January 08, 2007, 09:48:39 PM

Short: Unfuck some mistakes.  Quit smoking.  Future is doubtful.

Medium:  Get a house this year. 

Long: Not looking past my 5 year plan.  Things are too in flux currently.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #57 on: January 09, 2007, 12:46:24 AM

Short term: Get a Job

Mid term: Write something and sell it.  Anydamnthing.

Long term: have a long term.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #58 on: January 15, 2007, 11:28:19 PM

Do you mean that you want to make your own martial art?

No, just know how to hit people properly and how to break them into little bits if I'm on the ground.

The transformation won't be complete unless you also look like a bald ape ;)

Yeah, those MMA fighters are an overall ugly bunch. Except Frank Mir. He's purty.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 12:04:47 AM

Short-short term :

Finish this history paper I keep putting off.

Short term :

Study my kanji more
Try and not forget all the CS stuff I spent 3 years learning

Medium term :

Try and find a job with a combo of CS and a Japanese degree
When that fails, try and get a Masters in CS through some place with a notable name

Long term :

Try and get a good job with a Masters in CS and a Bachelor's in Japanese
When that fails say 'fuck it' and become a professor of one or the other.
Maybe spend a year with JET or one of the many many English schools here.  Maybe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 12:42:46 AM

Yeah, those MMA fighters are an overall ugly bunch. Except Frank Mir. He's purty.

Btw, the guy in that pic is Wanderlei Silva. Probably the most successful Muay-Thai/Jiu-Jitsu fighter at the moment.

Muay Thai clinch plus Jiu Jitsu takedown = Little you can do about it.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #61 on: January 16, 2007, 05:46:58 PM

Short term: Buy house (March '07), then promptly try to save $5K for a trip to Japan in '08.
Mid term: Finish my cookbook, bear Genius Progeny #1. Genius Progeny #2 will be considered, depending on results of Genius Progeny #1.
Long term: Retire early/wealthy, open Happiness of the Katakuris-style bed and breakfast (sans grisly murders. or perhaps avec grisly murders, depending on my mood.)

Now if I can resist blowing my load at Ikea and Home Despot maybe Japan will acually happen.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 17, 2007, 06:23:58 AM

Now if I can resist blowing my load at Ikea and Home Despot maybe Japan will acually happen.
See...this would sound totally different if a man said it.

Anyone catch the Louis CK thing on HBO? My poor girlfriend. Last week I was telling her every sentence ended with "in your vagina", until I didn't have to actually say it, just look at her. She'd ask "Do you want to have lunch?" and I'd crack up. She'd roll her eyes and walk away. Thanks to Louis CK, this week's silent ending is "and then jizz on it." Doesn't work as often, though. Might have to go back to "in your vagina."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #63 on: January 17, 2007, 06:32:14 AM

The only vagina thing I remember from Louis CK was the "duck vagina" bit.

Err..Well, that was his standup. Haven't seen the sitcom.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 17, 2007, 08:24:11 AM

No, the "in your vagina" was my thing. Louis tells some story where he beats a guy up. And then he adds "and I jacked off on him." "What? Too much?" From his new standup on HBO, Shameless. He reminds me of me about ten years ago.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #65 on: January 17, 2007, 08:41:26 AM

Oh...Well....You've got to see his standup then.

He talks about weird foods from different cultures, then segues into how he saw a bucket of duck vaginas for sale in Chinatown.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 17, 2007, 09:14:15 AM

I just said it was his standup. Including duck vaginas.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #67 on: January 17, 2007, 09:17:25 AM

I liked when he was talking about what an asshole his 4-yr old daughter is, and he wanted to kick her out a window.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #68 on: January 17, 2007, 09:34:05 AM

Short term: Buy house (March '07), then promptly try to save $5K for a trip to Japan in '08.
Mid term: Finish my cookbook, bear Genius Progeny #1. Genius Progeny #2 will be considered, depending on results of Genius Progeny #1.
Long term: Retire early/wealthy, open Happiness of the Katakuris-style bed and breakfast (sans grisly murders. or perhaps avec grisly murders, depending on my mood.)

Anywhere but Home Depot. They were #1 or #2 in GOP contributions in 2005, if memory serves.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:12 AM

Tme to dump those shares, then, methinks.

Yes I own stock in Home Despot. I bought it when the housing prices were at an all-time low, thinking I'd make my fortune in people fixing up houses. I always liked Lowe's better anyway.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Confession: Your Pet Project(s)  
Jump to: