Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Remote Desktop host for Windows XP home edition? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remote Desktop host for Windows XP home edition?  (Read 5049 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: December 23, 2006, 08:30:54 PM

I need to be able to connect to my PC at home which runs XP home edition. Do any of you know of anything I can use on my home PC that will work with the native Remote Desktop session in XP Pro? And yes, I know buying XP Pro will work. I mean something free/cheap and reliable.

My Eve mining career thanks you in advance.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 09:39:25 PM

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvnc.html

As far as I know Remote Desktop is only in XP Pro and Windows Server.

edit: VNC works great though.  Use it all the time.

edit the second:  I forgot, if you only want to connect to an XP Pro computer from an XP home you can use an app that loads in your browser:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:41:52 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 09:44:10 PM

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvnc.html

As far as I know Remote Desktop is only in XP Pro and Windows Server.

edit: VNC works great though.  Use it all the time.

edit the second:  I forgot, if you only want to connect to an XP Pro computer from an XP home you can use an app that loads in your browser:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
Remote Desktop Connection works from XP Home to XP Pro just not the other way around.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 09:48:17 PM

I need to be able to connect to my PC at home which runs XP home edition. Do any of you know of anything I can use on my home PC that will work with the native Remote Desktop session in XP Pro? And yes, I know buying XP Pro will work. I mean something free/cheap and reliable.

My Eve mining career thanks you in advance.
I haven't heard of any remote connection product that will work with DirectX so I don't think that would work.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 09:56:36 PM

I've actually used an app, once, that allowed me to totally control another PC remotely. I was even able to browse files, launch some pr0n, and then watch as the user (friend of mine) quickly tried to close the file down.

Unfortunately, I think someone has to be on the other end to authorize the connection.

Also, I know I could have launched a game, but I'm not sure if it would have displayed properly, or if I would have been able to control anything.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 10:22:48 PM

I've actually used an app, once, that allowed me to totally control another PC remotely. I was even able to browse files, launch some pr0n, and then watch as the user (friend of mine) quickly tried to close the file down.

Unfortunately, I think someone has to be on the other end to authorize the connection.

Also, I know I could have launched a game, but I'm not sure if it would have displayed properly, or if I would have been able to control anything.
It almost certainly would not have worked.

Besides which trying to play a 3D game remotely over a network connection would entail something like:

1024 x 768 resolution * 3 bytes per pixel (we'll ignore the alpha channel) = 2,359,296 bytes per frame
2,359,296 bytes per frame * 30 frames per second = 70,778,880 bytes per second transfer rate
70,778,880 bytes per second transfer rate * 8 bits per byte / (1024 * 1024) = 540 Mbps connection speed

Not going to happen anytime soon.

Even if you tried to play at 10 frames per second that would still require a 188 Mbps connection which is faster than Fast Ethernet so you wouldn't even be able to do it over a LAN unless you had Gigabit Ethernet. About 5 frames per second would just about work on Fast Ethernet which is in fact what Windows Media Player does when you view it through Remote Desktop -- i.e. it cuts down the frame rate to the low single digits to fit within the available bandwidth.

These products do work for 2D desktop apps because those things don't change all that often on the screen and when they do change you can just send a "delta" -- the differences between the current frame and the previous one. As I said above that breaks down when most of the pixels are changing on every frame and you need many updates per second.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 10:41:43 PM

Besides which trying to play a 3D game remotely over a network connection would entail something like:

As a long time RDC user I can tell you that it won't work, irrespective of performance. RDC doesn't allow D3D display - windowed or fullscreen. You can only run games that have a terminal style interface. Even with enough bandwidth and horsepower RDC won't display a D3D application - unfortunately...

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:50:47 PM

As a long time RDC user I can tell you that it won't work, irrespective of performance. RDC doesn't allow D3D display - windowed or fullscreen. You can only run games that have a terminal style interface. Even with enough bandwidth and horsepower RDC won't display a D3D application - unfortunately...
Yes with RDC the remote DirectX game will complain that it can't find an accelerated graphics card. However Strazos wasn't using RDC since the person on the other end could see what he was doing. With RDC the remote computer gets kicked back to the login screen so nobody else can be using it while you are connected. Something like pcAnywhere, though, let's both people "share" the computer which can be amusing since you are both fighting over the position of the cursor.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 09:04:49 AM

I thought that VNC worked by taking screen shots and sending those images across the network?  If that was the case it should work for what is intended.  I don't know, I only use it to connect to various linux/unix boxes at work.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 01:10:45 PM

Actually, with the App I was using, we each had a cursor. It was a pretty amusing way to burn time between classes one day.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 10:07:44 PM

I have played D2 over VNC before.  Briefly.  It's definately not ideal, but doable.  Also, was on campus intranet, so the connection between PCs was about 10Mbit quality.

For a slower paced game like Eve, it might be doable.  You will definately have to run in a window(VNC hates resolution changing), and it will be painful, but doable, depending on your server's 'net connection.  If you're on ADSL, don't even bother, the 384k uploads aren't gonna hack it unless mining requires no reaction times under 3-5 seconds or so.  If you're on cable at the server point, it's sometimes symmetrical, so you'll likely have good enough upload rates to do okay, depending on general internet bandwidth/latency issues.

Also, leave yourself logged in on the server.  VNC can now handle the ctrl-alt-delete to login or 'welcome' screens, but it doesn't do so very well, best to just avoid them when using it.

Finally, check the various different builds of VNC, some may work better for you than others.  Ones I know of are RealVNC, UltraVNC, and TightVNC, tho there may be others.  Each has branched off the original project, which was closed down some time ago, and each went its own way.  All allow free download for personal use, afaik.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 09:19:41 AM

Actually, with the App I was using, we each had a cursor. It was a pretty amusing way to burn time between classes one day.

I think you're describing early editions of Norton's PC Anywhere. I could be wrong tho.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Remote Desktop host for Windows XP home edition?  
Jump to: