Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Before I forget.... NOOOOOMMMAAAAAAAAAAARRRR! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Before I forget.... NOOOOOMMMAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!  (Read 5893 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: August 02, 2004, 11:31:59 AM

Just had to bring up the baseball trading deadline, if only because the Cubs won big, getting NOMAR Garciaparra and finally getting rid of the real goat of last year's NLCS loss, Alex Gonzalez. Great trade for all involved, I thought, but the Cubs and BoSox obviously got the best end of the deals. Montreal gets a decent reliever (Francis Beltran), a minor leaguer and Gonzo, Boston gets a good young shortstop and a great defensive first baseman, Minnesota gets a young pitcher, and the Cubs got a superstar.

They may not win the division now, but they are better prepared for the playoffs. They will win the wild card; I just don't see any of the other teams keeping pace.

Now if Prior can just find his form again, it's on to the World Series!

Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:41:25 AM

Yeah, very good move for Chicago here....and the BoSox were smart to deal the unhappy Nomar out of town.

I agree. The Cubs probably won't win the division, but I think they'll be a scary team in the wildcard. If they advance, I certainly wouldn't want to face them in the NLCS.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 04:19:01 PM

No, this was a terrible deal for the Sox.

They already had a good defensive 1st baseman, McCarty, who they don't play often because he doesn't hit as well as Ortiz and Millar. Now they have another good defensive first baseman who doesn't hit as well as Ortiz and Millar.

Doug M didn't even play last night. So they traded Nomar for 2 #9 hitters, one of which won't be an everyday player.

The Sox already had too many people at first base. They play Millar, Ortiz and McCarty there. People are now saying the Red Sox have one of the best infields in baseball...no. Their 3rd and 2nd base play are both terrible.

They have a good infield when they are playing Cabrera, Reese and Doug M, which will be almost never.
---

What the Red Sox really needed was a second baseman. Bellhorn sucks. Am I the only person in the world who realizes that a hit is a lot better than a walk?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 04:23:08 PM

In his own defense (well, sorta) Bellhorn is really kickass on the PS2.

At least he was in last season's MVP.

This, as always, contributes very little to the discussion.

However, I am quite pleased that I now have another thing to yell when at Wrigley.

This could still be our year, after all.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 05:28:56 PM

This is good. Next year, when he's a free agent, he'll end up at second base for the Yankees, provided we don't pick up one of the Boones. There's just an unwritten rule that the Yanks and Sox can't trade directly between one another.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 06:07:35 AM

Doug M didn't play for the Sox again yesterday.  I keep hearing the Sox upgraded their defense...how much defense do you get from the bench?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 06:12:54 AM

Quote from: Joe
This is good. Next year, when he's a free agent, he'll end up at second base for the Yankees, provided we don't pick up one of the Boones. There's just an unwritten rule that the Yanks and Sox can't trade directly between one another.

There is no way that is going to happen. First, I don't think that Nomar would want to play for the Yankees.  Second I believe that the Cubs and Jim Hendry are going to do their very best to sign him after the season ends.

I fully expect to see Nomar in a Cubs uniform for years to come.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 07:13:10 AM

How quickly I went from liking Nomar to despising him.  All because of a uniform!
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 08:20:31 AM

Will people now pronounce the "r" at the end of his name, or will he be forever Nomahhh?

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 08:50:48 AM

Quote from: Madman

There is no way that is going to happen. First, I don't think that Nomar would want to play for the Yankees.  Second I believe that the Cubs and Jim Hendry are going to do their very best to sign him after the season ends.

I fully expect to see Nomar in a Cubs uniform for years to come.

First, it's the Yankees. Everyone wants to be a Yankee. Even Manny. If the Cubs were to win the series this year, it might change things, but the way the Cards and Yankees are playing despite flakey pitching staffs, I wouldn't bet on a series appearance from either Chicago team.

Additionally, all Cashman has to say to Nomar is, "Remember that team that was trying to shop you around all season, despite the fact you were their best player? Sign with us; you'll get to beat up on them 20 times per year."

Seriously, the injury hurt him, but the organization hurt him more. This is akin to Steinbrenner's treatment of David Wells, only Nomar was a far more key part of the Redsox lineup.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 08:58:21 AM

I just don't see Nomar going to the Yankees, but I honestly didn't see him going to the Cubs either. I know Hendry is going to do his best to sign Nomar at the end of the year, and with the atmosphere that is Wrigley, he's got a good shot. Plus, with the entire Chicago area (barring White Sox fans) kissing Nomar's ass, he could end up liking the area a great deal.

I also don't see the Yankees winning the series this year, which will cause Steinbrenner to go apoplectic and drop tons of people in some kind of freak kneejerk seizure rebuilding process.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 09:00:25 AM

I don't think the Yankees have the pitching for the series.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 10:09:15 AM

They dont have pitching. See you next season.

unbannable
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 11:19:08 AM

Bill Simmons aka The Sports Guy's take on the Nomar deal.

He is a lifelong Boston sports fan, so he has some unique insight into the situation. I wonder what the free agent market value for Nomar will be? He isn't terribly young, he has been injured a few times, and his range at SS has dwindled to almost nothing. Maybe Joe is right...he can play 2nd for the Yankees, just to stoke the fires of hatred in Boston.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 06:03:50 AM

I will put 10 bucks down right now that says Nomar is a Cub for the next few years.

You all underestimate the power of Jim Hendry and the beauty that is Wrigley Field (even if the concrete is falling down). Not to mention the fact that Cubs fans will love him just as much, if not more, than Red Sox fans loved him. After all these are the fans that have loved Sammy Sosa for years even though he is about to become the strikeout king of baseball.

Also, Michael Barrett gave up number 5 for a price: http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-csep04.html

DENVER -- Michael Barrett doesn't just catch for the Cubs. He's also an impressive pitchman.

Barrett held Nomar Garciaparra's feet to the fire -- even his controversial sore right Achilles tendon -- when he offered to surrender his No. 5 jersey to the shortstop for a price. Barrett demanded that Garciaparra promise to seriously consider re-signing with the Cubs after the season.

Barrett got his wish and gave Garciaparra a number much smaller than the four-year, $50 million-plus contract the free agent will seek in the offseason.

"He said, 'Are you going to consider Chicago after this?''' Garciaparra said. "I said, 'You know what? I am definitely going to consider it afterward, but we'll address that when the season is over. Let's get to the postseason and then get to our goal of winning the World Series.'''

Barrett and Garciaparra also made a secret deal for the number exchange that they agreed not to disclose. But Barrett said that item is insignificant compared with Garciaparra coming back to Chicago.

I realize it sounds like just the standard answer, but I can seriously see Nomar coming back next year. The Tribune Company has just as much, if not more, money as Steinbrenner and lately they have been actually spending it. Right now the Cubs snagged one of the best shortstops in baseball and you would have to be stupid to think that they wouldn't do their absolute best to sign him after the season ends. The reason you won't be hearing about any contract talks is because Hendry has a standing policy that he will deal with contracts during the off-season.

As for his range, you have to realize that Wrigley field has always had a fairly slow infield. As long as the grounder isn't a 1 hop rocket, Nomar is going to get a lot of the balls even with his shortened range. Not to mention the fact that the only person on the staff that he really has to worry about is Maddux right now. It isn't too hard to field when you have 4 power pitchers who are striking people out left and right.

As for the Yankees, despite what you think Joe, not everyone wants to be a Yankee.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 09:03:39 AM

Quote from: Madman

As for the Yankees, despite what you think Joe, not everyone wants to be a Yankee.

Everybody wants to be Reggie Jackson.

unbannable
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 09:09:29 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol

Very true. I have lost count of the number of times I dreamed of being in a Naked Gun movie.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 09:12:17 AM

Quote from: Shockeye
Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol

Very true. I have lost count of the number of times I dreamed of being in a Naked Gun movie.

In an effort to regain focus:
Question: How many world series rings do you own?
Follow-up: How many would you LIKE to own?

There you go. You dont get the nickname "Mister October" if you spend every October vacationing with your family. You get that nickname by actually playing baseball in October - and these days, you get to do that by playing for the Yankees; plain and simple.

unbannable
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 10:01:28 AM

Or the Marlins... or Giants... or Angels... or Diamondbacks.

Sure, the Yankees have been close or in the Series every year. That does not guarantee a player they will get there every year. If you ask me, next year will be a HARD one for the Yankee players and fans, because they are going to stink on ice. They are a year away from being in the same boat as the Mariners... too old, too slow, too injured and too few prospects to make up for it.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 10:38:03 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Or the Marlins... or Giants... or Angels... or Diamondbacks.

Sure, the Yankees have been close or in the Series every year. That does not guarantee a player they will get there every year. If you ask me, next year will be a HARD one for the Yankee players and fans, because they are going to stink on ice. They are a year away from being in the same boat as the Mariners... too old, too slow, too injured and too few prospects to make up for it.

Bobby Cox is the new "Mr. October". If things continue as they are now, the Braves will have won 13 straight division titiles and this is after losing a number of their big name players.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2004, 01:27:59 PM

Looks like the Red Sox have picked up Mike Myers from Seattle today. That should put them over the top of the Yankees. Might as well buy the champagne for the World Series celebration as well.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2004, 03:40:10 PM

And while I'm at it...

Isn't it about time Bud Selig was shot and dumped in a hole outside of Las Vegas?

It will never end.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 06, 2004, 07:44:23 PM

Quote from: Shockeye
Looks like the Red Sox have picked up Mike Myers from Seattle today. That should put them over the top of the Yankees. Might as well buy the champagne for the World Series celebration as well.

Except for the fact that the Cards are going to win it all. :)

Bruce
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2004, 08:44:22 PM

Unfortunately instead of dying in a massive team plane crash, the Cards just got a little better.

Larry Walker goes from the Rockies to the Cards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1853911
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2004, 08:16:28 AM

Just what we need.  ANOTHER FUCKING HITTER.

I guess they figured, since they can't get any pitching, they might as well grab another hitter and hope that's enough to win it all.  And he'll help the outfield, too.

Bruce
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: August 07, 2004, 10:21:56 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
I guess they figured, since they can't get any pitching, they might as well grab another hitter and hope that's enough to win it all.  And he'll help the outfield, too.

I remember reading that Randy Johnson would've accepted a trade to the Cardinals. Seems to me that if they have the money to fling at Larry Walker for the rest of this year and next, they could've flung their money at the Unit.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 07, 2004, 04:34:14 PM

WOOOHOOO!!!

Maddux win number 300!

I find it fitting that he started his career with the Cubs and got his 300th victory with the Cubs.

I also don't think we will see another 300 win pitcher for quite some time. Glavine is the closest at 259.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 08, 2004, 05:12:46 AM

Glavine needs 14 wins over the next 3 years to get it.  He's got a shot.  Randy Johnson needs 15 wins over the next 4 years to get it... most people don't think Randy will pitch that long, but I think he just might.  Mussina and Wells both have over 200 but they are too old to reach 300.

The four young pitchers with an outside chance of reaching 300 are Martinez, Petitte, Zito, and Mulder.  Martinez (Pedro to his friends) has to get 122 more wins, but he's only averaged 13.7 wins a year so far.  He'd need 9 more years to reach 300 at that pace, which would make him 42.  But is he sturdy enough to last that long?  Zito and Mulder are both 26, the former has 66 wins averaging 13.2 wins per year and the latter 77 wins averaging 15.4 per year.  Zito would be 44 before he reached 300.  Mulder has a much better shot; he could manage it by the time he's 40 or 41.

Andy Pettitte has perhaps the best shot of them all.  Although he's 32, he has 155 wins already and an amazing 17.2 wins per season average.  He could reach 300 by the time he's 40.

Bruce
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: August 08, 2004, 03:20:38 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
Andy Pettitte has perhaps the best shot of them all.  Although he's 32, he has 155 wins already and an amazing 17.2 wins per season average.  He could reach 300 by the time he's 40.

Only if he' healthy. This coming off-season will tell us if Andy has the ability to bounce back from his bouts of injury this year. He might want to think about going back to the AL where he doesn't have to swing a bat.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004, 08:50:03 AM

I don't see Petite getting 300 wins. He got all those wins as a Yankee, with tons of run support. He sure won't get that as an Astro, a team that seems headed in the direction of the Mariners and is likley to start a "rebuilding" process soon. I don't expect Randy Johnson to last long enough to get the wins, especially if he stays with the Diamondbacks.

Glavine could do it. The Mets seem to be headed back on the good foot, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Larry Walker will improve an already decent Cards defense, and his bat can't hurt. I still think they don't have the pitching to win in the postseason, but then I thought Prior would be on a Cy Young tear by now.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: August 09, 2004, 10:22:48 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
I don't see Petite getting 300 wins. He got all those wins as a Yankee, with tons of run support. He sure won't get that as an Astro, a team that seems headed in the direction of the Mariners and is likley to start a "rebuilding" process soon. I don't expect Randy Johnson to last long enough to get the wins, especially if he stays with the Diamondbacks.

With the partners of the Diamondbacks forcing out the CEO because of his "free spending ways", I'm assuming they will dump Johnson's salary by sending him to New York after this season.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Before I forget.... NOOOOOMMMAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!  
Jump to: