Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Valve to use in-game ads 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valve to use in-game ads  (Read 15795 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: December 09, 2006, 12:32:45 PM

Old school CS to get in game ads, rest of Valve games to follow soon. Motherfucking cocksuckers.

I am so god damn tired of ads everyplace, product placements, and fucking "sponsor" tie-ins. It was bad enough just in TV, movies, and RL billboards, but now ad companies have realized that people would be looking at the shit constantly, in their face, for hours on end - while their brains are experiencing pleasure and satisfaction. I'm not an expert, but the psychological effects of constantly viewing ads while actively plying a game absolutely have to be different than occasionally seeing a billboard while driving or passively watching TV.

From now on, I will only pay money for games from companies that don't do this shit. Any other company or their subsidiaries engaging sing in-game ads get their shit automatically pirated and distributed for free to anyone I know who wants it. I will not pay for a game and then have them get paid to brainwash me.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:39:33 PM

I wonder if they won't charge $50 for a new game.

Oh wait, I don't have to wonder, the nature of money tells me otherwise.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:56:25 PM

Games are taking away from TV. It only makes sense. My advice? Ignore them, I've ignored them on TV for 24 years. I ignore them pretty much everwhere. Of all the things that I find silly, advertisements happens to be the one that least grates on me.

Oh, and lol@brainwashing.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:29:44 PM

I don't know about you guys, but ads that I see don't automagically make me want to buy...anything. Especially if they are placed out of proper context.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 01:31:27 PM

Well, that's the last time I buy a game off Steam.

Mob

So, how's D2D compare to it?
Strazos

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:34:19 PM

I've never had a problem with it. Then again, I've only used it 3 times. And of course, it doesn't have the extra features that Steam has, such as matchmaking and game-specific media browser.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 01:43:02 PM

I'll continue to look the other way until they decide to pull more of the same crap they did in BF2142.  Adware?  Fine, as long as it stays in game.  Spyware?  Hello, class action lawsuit.

KapcomS
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 02:03:53 PM

I'll continue to look the other way until they decide to pull more of the same crap they did in BF2142.  Adware?  Fine, as long as it stays in game.  Spyware?  Hello, class action lawsuit.

Professor Lurkenstein Explains It All (Clarissa was sick):
1. You cannot sue EA or Valve for collecting information on your system because of the EULA. Either suffer both Spyware and Adware or don't play the game.
2. You couldn't class action a phone book, much less a lawsuit.
4. You already paid money for these games. Now they want more money.
5. The only logical way to persuade them not to do this is by not buying their games.
6. Why did I use a numbered list here?
7. No one needs to learn about opportunities to "Get a bigger pen fifteen today" in the middle of an FPS.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 04:23:03 PM

I don't know about you guys, but ads that I see don't automagically make me want to buy...anything. Especially if they are placed out of proper context.

I agree completely.  I've never been covinced to buy anything from a commerci........

Head On!  Apply directly to the forehead!

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 05:06:18 PM

I laughed out loud. Classy, Gulp.

I too am wondering if this will affect the price of their games. I doubt it, but worth a shot.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 05:07:42 PM

You cannot sue EA or Valve for collecting information on your system because of the EULA. Either suffer both Spyware and Adware or don't play the game.
You a lawyer?  If so, I'm already picking a losing fight, but lacking the foresight to determine this I'll forge ahead like a lemming on oceanfront property.  I see some complicating factors, and I love to mention complicating factors, so I shall do so now.

First, you can't sign away rights.  A licence agreement gives the company leeway, but not a get-out-of-lawsuit-free card.  I'm making the assumption we have some consumer protection rights that don't like it when people throw in Spyware or Adware without telling us.

Now, combining with the first point, look at how BF2142 only told you they have included Spyware after you bought the game.  You're informed via a paper insert after you've taken it home and opened it.  Considering you often can't returned opened PC software, I'd say that's fairly good grounds for a class action lawsuit.

But, then again, last I heard EA/DICE wasn't sued for what they did with BF2142, so maybe I'm wrong.  A little google-fu does show at 111 people would like to try.

Points 2-7 are non-points.  Should have stopped at #1.  I should know, I am the master of not stopping in time, thus the lemming analogy holds firm.

KapcomS
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 06:07:32 PM

Listen. You are not a lawyer. Nor are you a rights expert. Allow me to summarize:
You can either Not Play Their Game, thus attempting to correct their behavior by lowering their sales
OR
Play their game and suffer the spyware.

There is no option 3. Cry salty tears of despair.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 06:48:22 PM

Listen. You are not a lawyer. Nor are you a rights expert. Allow me to summarize:
You can either Not Play Their Game, thus attempting to correct their behavior by lowering their sales
OR
Play their game and suffer the spyware.

There is no option 3. Cry salty tears of despair.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 07:10:30 PM

Seconded.  I will, however, weep for you KapcomS.

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 07:14:09 PM

I'm pretty sure he's right.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 07:18:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the two options of KapcomS are the main two options for the everyman in the vast majority of situations.

However, when people are bundling spyware with software and not informing the user until after it's too late to take it back, they've crossed a line that, if legal litigation does not yet exist to protect the user from this activity, it will.

Simply giving in and crying salty tears of despair works, I suppose, if you've surrendered any ideas of demanding you have rights at all.  I've yet to cross that line, but dutifully respect the philosophy of those who have.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 07:39:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the two options of KapcomS are the main two options for the everyman in the vast majority of situations.

However, when people are bundling spyware with software and not informing the user until after it's too late to take it back, they've crossed a line that, if legal litigation does not yet exist to protect the user from this activity, it will.

Simply giving in and crying salty tears of despair works, I suppose, if you've surrendered any ideas of demanding you have rights at all.  I've yet to cross that line, but dutifully respect the philosophy of those who have.

He's basically right, and you're basically wrong -- trying to predict what may happen in the future is equally risky.  I suggest backing out now while you can.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 07:53:43 PM

See, now I've a guy who I like to think I'm on pretty good terms and a lawyer besides telling me to back down and just accept that spyware is something we can't fight.

But, well, it's happening anyway.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 08:35:20 PM

See, now I've a guy who I like to think I'm on pretty good terms and a lawyer besides telling me to back down and just accept that spyware is something we can't fight.

But, well, it's happening anyway.

That's not what I was saying.  I was really just trying to save you some time and effort.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 08:49:06 PM

Now that's a point we agree on.  Trying to convince the other guy of anything on a message board is little more than a giant time sink.  Especially when the other guy is somebody who keeps this link handy.

You've beaten me at apathy.  Congratulations.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 08:52:11 PM

It's not apathy. It's reality.

And don't play the angle your playing. You've made a lifestyle out of trying to convince people on the internet of whatever.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 08:57:01 PM

Yes, any desire on my part to convince people on the Internet of anything is an unhealthy lifestyle I'm attempting to curb lately.

However, if I do this to you:
Quote from: schild
It is apathy, ignoring reality, or at least another person's interpretation thereof.  That's what I was criticizing in my last message, not the bit where he outlines the two options.

Strazos

Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 08:58:52 PM

Hey, can we add that smiley to our menu?

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 09:09:26 PM

No, it's purely an argumentative emoticon. What Geldon actually said - and I hate getting into arguments about semantics when he doesn't understand half the shit that comes out of his mouth is the following (and it's what got me pissed):

You've beaten me at apathy.  Congratulations.

There's nothing apathetic about what the new guy said (sup KapcomS), it was just reality. Really, that emoticon should be reserved for use against Geldon... Is there anyone else who uses so many words to say so little? Anyone?
Strazos

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 09:26:06 PM

I can think of a few, but they don't post here anymore.

Fear the Backstab!
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 09:33:59 PM

Here's a question...will the ads prevent you from spraying them?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 09:49:34 PM

People spray ads? All I ever got to see were vaginas.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 10:07:16 PM

I meant like spraying over them;  but you bring up a good point, most ads will be better than the average CS spray.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 10:27:25 PM

One can probably spray them like any other surface, provided they're located where the player could reach them.  It probably wouldn't achieve much though, as it'd probably get the players to pay more attention to the ads than they would otherwise.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 10:35:49 PM

Here's a question...will the ads prevent you from spraying them?

I would guess they'll be unsprayable. I have family in the advertising business. Ad clients are extremely picky about positioning, size and presentation of their ads, and they don't take well to potential defacement. They won't be sprayable largely because this makes it possible for players to circumvent the point of the ad via overwriting part of the intended message.

For those who have BF2142, SWAT4 or any other ad-enabled game - are the ads covered by the equivalent of sprays? What about explosion marks?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 10:43:25 PM

Well, if I ever decided to stop boycotting Steam, this just gives me another reason to.  Shit, all these fucking programs that want live on my machine should be paying me rent.

"Me am play gods"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 10:46:54 PM

For those who have BF2142, SWAT4 or any other ad-enabled game - are the ads covered by the equivalent of sprays? What about explosion marks?
If I remember correctly bullet holes and other weapon markings would show on top of the ads in PlanetSide but it took some effort to cover up an entire ad.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 09:12:34 AM

Personally I worry less about in game ads than between game ads.

European TV time is now 18% advertising. It is only that low because regulation prevents it going higher.

US TV time is approaching 30% advertising.

When valve feel they can get away with an advert between each CS rubber, then I'll get nervous.

Also, regarding spyware, so long as any spyware is limited to things you tell the steam application (such as when you play the game, how much you play the game, and the hardware survey if you choose to press that button), I'd be surprised if there is much you can do. Valve isn't even likely to share this data, they'll just be using it to direct ads according to profiles agreed with advertisers.

If steam starts rooting around in your internet logs there might be an outside chance you can do something about it, though security features on non-Microsoft browsers are more likely to provide you with an opportunity than a lawyer is.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:02:21 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 09:30:49 AM

From now on, I will only pay money for games from companies that don't do this shit. Any other company or their subsidiaries engaging sing in-game ads get their shit automatically pirated and distributed for free to anyone I know who wants it. I will not pay for a game and then have them get paid to brainwash me.

Then you might as well only buy games from small indie companies, because the big ones who have to use publishers, they are all going to be using this shit. It's here to stay.

As for what can you do about spyware/adware in games, there is one other option besides the 2 given.

3) Pay a lawyer to tell you how much of a retard you are for paying a lawyer to take up a case that will never reach court or if it does reach court, will be laughed out.

Ads are not harmful according to the law. The only reason shit like Sony's rootkits and such got any kind of traction is that they were BLATANTLY harmful to the machine (or could be) and assinine to the extreme. Regular ads in BF2142? They suck, but they aren't harmful.

Look at it this way. The ads aren't paying to make your games less expensive. They aren't paying to fund more development. They are paying to make more profit for the publisher, which hopefully makes more profit for the developer but I don't count that as a given. They are paying to keep the video game industry from choking on its own dick, since they've pretty much fucked up the economic model of video games at the retail level so that ONLY hits are profitable and only within the first 2 weeks of sales. In short, you are paying the cost for short-sighted stupidity on the part of the PC video game industry (and the consoles to a certain extent). ENJOY, BITCHES!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006, 09:58:26 AM

I'm still waiting on Ads showing up on music CDs.   I think we'd have them by now if MP3's hadn't caught-on.  The recording industry is shortsighted, but they're not so short sighted they didn't realize people would be stealing music with even more frequency should that happen.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Valve to use in-game ads  
Jump to: