Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 12 year old arrested for opening gift early 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12 year old arrested for opening gift early  (Read 12374 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 02:16:42 PM

It's fun enough. Some people need to spare all the money they can.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 12:43:49 PM

And my old man had one of those funky 1970's era wide, thick leather belts.  Not fun.

Actually, the worst part about getting punished by my dad wasn't being smacked with the belt.  It was being made to go get said belt from my parents room so he could administer the beating.  I think the anticipation of being punished was meaner.

My brothers and I were all spanked as children.  We'd start crying and raising a fuss inside a store and wouldn't settle down?  Mom gave us a reason to be making noise.  Of course, my dad went overboard with my middle brother a few times (as in, put a body sized hole in the hallway wall once from pushing my brother into it), but then again, this brother moved out at 18 and never looked back either.  He was the problem child of the family.

I think back and while I thought we were all horribly abused when I was a child (dad's so mean and all that), I can't really find anything wrong with my childhood and being punished.  We learned there were consequences to our actions and we'd sometimes have to pay the price.  Hell, I used to enjoy shoplifting small items like jewelry from the local Woolworth's after school (Catholic school with mean nuns at that).  Luckily I never got caught.  But the kid in this story is 12 already, it's almost too late now to try to turn him around, especially if he's already got a history like that.  She missed out on disciplining him when he was younger.

Of course, there is also the revenge aspect of it too when you get older.  Like the last time my mom ever took me and my youngest brother grocery shopping with her during the holidays.  I was home from college (freshman/sophmore year I think) and my youngest bro was in high school.  Crowded store, Saturday morning (hell in itself) and some other lady was there with her two kids, boy about 10ish, younger girl.  The boy was being a whiney brat and we just watched this going on while shopping.  Then my bro and I started imitating the kid, and when we came upon the Nestle Quik with the Go-Bots special offer (hey, it was the 80s), we really got into it.  Imagine having your two kids, college age and high school age, trailing you through the aisles of the grocery store going "Mommy, mommy!  I want Gooooo-Bots!  Mommy!  Can I have some Goooo-Bots!"   Repeatedly.  In loud and extremely whiney voices.  Throughout the rest of the whole store. 

Revenge is sweet.  Although, my mom does still threaten us with her wooden spoons.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 01:50:13 PM

My mom was the mean one (she grew up fighting snakes in the sticks...Thailand...I can't really blame her that much). My Dad, the GI, was tame in comparison.

I think the only reason my brother didn't turn out bad was because he had an outlet for frustration (me). I had to find other ways.

In the end, I resent him more than I do my parents. I get along with my parents greatly these days actually.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 03:40:37 PM

Thats the spirit! On other hand you are significantly undermining your own argument by presenting yourself as an example of well-adjusted individual.

Ok, poking fun at Sky/Engels aside. It is not a causation relationship, being single mother does not necessary mean bad parent. It is correlation - among single mothers bad parenting much more prevalent than in 'traditional families'. Additionally there is much to be said about 'gender appropriate model', if you read TFA it mentions single *male* kid in a household with multiple females.

I hear total assholes make bad parents also.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 11:00:05 PM

Its all hump and dump for me, so chances somebody nice like you will be rising my kids. You will do good job, I'm not worried.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 12:39:40 AM

Wake up, Sinij, it's time to go to school...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 01:36:06 AM

Wake up, Sinij, it's time to go to school...

Bottom row, second from the right ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #42 on: December 15, 2006, 01:34:23 PM

It's fun enough. Some people need to spare all the money they can.

Fuck.  I wrote that thinking "Hm, maybe I should point out in the post that it's a joke with an intentionally callous and arrogant tone.  But then that would ruin the humor.  Besides, this is f13, they should get it."

Dammit, Stray.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 01:59:38 PM

I often run into that misunderstanding when I joke about Columbine. They were always talking about how those kids were always playing Doom and I made a joke about them being pissed they had such shitty computers they could only play Doom.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 08:51:07 AM

Now see, I get that stuff. But then, sarcasm is kind of my thing.

Unfortunately, sarcasm tends to either annoy, or pass over the head, of most people.  undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 01:41:32 PM

a joke with an intentionally callous and arrogant tone. 

You rang ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 06:38:13 PM

Sorry 'bout that Llava.

I've known plenty of people who think that way though. It was hard to tell you were joking.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 07:53:48 AM

Agreed, but green ruins the funny now.  :-(

But I'm a very reasonable person, so if I post something that sounds entirely unreasonable, chances are I'm joking.  Unless I'm not.  Try reading it both ways and see which rings truer.  Out loud.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 24, 2006, 04:41:16 PM

Me and my friends were real ass holes when were younger, there's nobody I know of which I hang/hanged out with which I can think of being physically abused by their parents. Is this sort of stuff common in the states? I'm under the impression that it's at least very rare in Sweden.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 25, 2006, 01:15:44 PM

Asshole is a state of mind and life-long pursuit.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #50 on: December 27, 2006, 05:56:43 AM

It's more common (in the US) than the media cares to acknowledge.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 12 year old arrested for opening gift early  
Jump to: