Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Win a Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Win a Wii  (Read 9474 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: November 29, 2006, 11:41:42 AM

Well, looks like I am going to have to clear off the honeydew schedule.

Dear Yegolev,

Want a chance to win a Nintendo Wii™, a NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 Graphics Card or one of four $100 Best Buy gift certificates just for playing in The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ (LOTRO) Beta Program? Well now you can when you take part in our server stress tests!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:41:38 PM

I gotta admit, it is a damned good way to get folks online for your stress tests. I just wish they weren't so damned late. I would be amazed if I was home in time to participate. Snow+ice+n00b Seattle drivers = hellish commute.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:14:55 PM

Living in Aus, as I do, can I win?

Someone read the fine print for me!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 07:17:28 PM

Eligibility to win a prize is restricted to U.S. residents age 18 or older. Employees of Turbine and its licensors, and members of their households, are excluded from participation. Winners may need to execute an affidavit to confirm all eligibility requirements are met. The odds of winning a prize in the Stress Test drawing will depend on the number of eligible participants.
(It's on the forums)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:20:42 PM

Eligibility to win a prize is restricted to U.S. residents age 18 or older. Employees of Turbine and its licensors, and members of their households, are excluded from participation. Winners may need to execute an affidavit to confirm all eligibility requirements are met. The odds of winning a prize in the Stress Test drawing will depend on the number of eligible participants.
(It's on the forums)

Thanks.

Looks like I wont be logging on again for a while then.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:47:02 PM

This should actually be fun.  I am curious to see how well the server reacts to a gazzilion nooblets logging in.

Cal, would it be possible to get some sort of estimate as to how many players were on at once?  Just for curiosities sake. 

edit. additional
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:51:10 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:56:57 PM

World is full.  2303 in queue.  I hope there's refreshments.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 04:58:11 PM

In 5 minutes reports went from around 700 people in que to over 2600 3100 people (according to the message board).  I feel bad for feeling annoyed at being # 120.  Heh.  I am becoming a fan boy, I fear  :-(
2 minutes to go.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:59:48 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:05:16 PM

I'm 3503 in queue.

Screw that.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 05:06:19 PM

I am in.  Took a few extra seconds to load, but that could be due to the patch from the other day.  Things seem smooth now, though.  I am waiting for Bree to ASSPLODE.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 05:07:13 PM

I must really be a jaded ass.  When I saw this email, the first thing that popped into my mind was: "at this stage, this game isn't very fun ... so here's a bribe to log on".  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 05:21:28 PM

We're slowly opening the server capacity. So people will get in in groups of 500-1000.

And Nebu, yea that's pretty jaded. ;)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 05:30:17 PM

Cal, did you guys fix the ass from last patch?  I am in North Downs, and having ZERO issues.  I am impressed. 

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 05:31:11 PM

Cal, did you guys fix the ass from last patch?  I am in North Downs, and having ZERO issues.  I am impressed. 
Looks like so far so good. The server is actually above capacity right now.
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 06:25:35 PM

Looks like so far so good. The server is actually above capacity right now.
Spoke too soon. :)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 06:26:29 PM

Server finally crashed and burned, mwahahaha.  Not bad, almost an hour and a half  :mrgreen:

Some people report being 5000 in the que.  Christ, how many invites went out?  People really want that Wi!

Still pretty impressive, Cal.  Except for not being able to ride a horse in North Downs; everything seemed pretty smoooooth.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 07:03:27 PM

We're adding to the prizes to make up the long queues.

http://beta.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=9684
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 07:07:09 PM

Holy shit Cal, you read my mind.  I was going to request an invite get sent to my best buddy who just got back from out of town and missed out on last round.  You have always been a great community manager, keep it up! /fanboyoff

Will more beta servers be launched soon?  Seems that there are a LOOOT of people in beta now.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 07:14:15 PM

Holy shit Cal, you read my mind.  I was going to request an invite get sent to my best buddy who just got back from out of town and missed out on last round.  You have always been a great community manager, keep it up! /fanboyoff

Will more beta servers be launched soon?  Seems that there are a LOOOT of people in beta now.
Hehe, thanks! :)

More servers, yes. Not tonight, but coming soon.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 08:31:51 PM

In 5 minutes reports went from around 700 people in que to over 2600 3100 people (according to the message board).  I feel bad for feeling annoyed at being # 120.  Heh.  I am becoming a fan boy, I fear  :-(
2 minutes to go.

Man, you're easy.

Edit: Doh, can't win a Wii since I forgot about logging in today  undecided
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:08:20 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 07:44:44 AM

I never actually made it in to the game, at least not while I was conscious.  It stayed at 2303 in the queue and kept counting from 14 down but never changed my place.  I fell asleep.  When I woke up, it said I had been booted from the game and it was well after 10 PM.  Actually, it was Righ's account but we were trying to log in from my computer so I got to doze off in front of it.  (he was busy on his computer)

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 08:00:56 AM

You still have a shot:

Quote from: Calandryll
This week, on November 30th and December 1st (Thursday and Friday), we will be running server stress tests and we need your help! Log in and play LOTRO between 8pm and 11pm EST on Thursday and Friday of this week for your chance to win a Nintendo Wii™, a NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 Graphics Card or a $100 Best Buy gift certificate!

Event schedule:
Thursday, November 30, from 8pm until 11pm EST: two players will win a $100 gift certificate!
Friday, December 1, from 8pm until 11pm EST: two players will win a $100 gift certificate!
Players who log in and play both days from 8pm to 11pm EST will be entered into a drawing to win a Nintendo Wii™ or a NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 Graphics Card!

One Grand Prize
One winner will be randomly chosen from all players who log in and play LOTRO on both days (Thursday and Friday) between 8pm and 11pm and will receive:
§ Nintendo Wii™ (approx. retail value: $249.99)

One First Prize
One winner will be randomly chosen from all players who log in and play LOTRO on both days (Thursday and Friday) between 8pm and 11pm and will receive:
§ NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 Graphics Card (approx. retail value: $400.00)

Four Second Prizes
Two winners from each day (Thursday and Friday) will be randomly chosen from all players who log in and play during the three hour window, and each will receive:
§ $100 Best Buy gift certificate (approx. retail value: $100.00 each)

Winners will be contacted after the event via e-mail by January 10, 2007.

Be sure to stay in game the entire time between 8pm and 11pm EST on these nights to have a chance to win! The longer you are logged in and the more nights you participate, the better your chances! Players must participate in the events on both days to be eligible for the grand prize and the first prize – a Nintendo Wii™ or a NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 Graphics Card!

I wonder when we get our free beta invites?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 08:30:20 AM

And Nebu, yea that's pretty jaded. ;)

I probably shouldn't have written that, but I was in a snarky mood yesterday.  I realize that you're working crazy hours under contraints that you'd rather not have to adhere to.  I didn't mean to demean your hard work.  So my apologies, Cal.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 08:31:14 AM

You still have a shot:

Be sure to stay in game the entire time between 8pm and 11pm EST on these nights to have a chance to win! The longer you are logged in and the more nights you participate, the better your chances! Players must participate in the events on both days to be eligible for the grand prize and the first prize – a Nintendo Wii™ or a NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 Graphics Card!

Not for the Wii or graphics card.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 08:49:20 AM

You still have a shot:

Not for the Wii or graphics card.

Goodness, I did miss that.  Guess I need to work on reading comprehension!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 02:22:48 PM

Well, we are almost to the next server meltdown; little under 3 hours. 

ROUND 2, FIGHT!

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 02:47:16 PM

I have to say, Chedd...your enthusiasm for LOTRO has me playing more often.  If I were Cal, I'd so hire you.

I'm sure I'm hopelessly behind you in levels, but we should conspire to play together at some point in teh coming week.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 02:53:13 PM

I have to say, Chedd...your enthusiasm for LOTRO has me playing more often.  If I were Cal, I'd so hire you.

I'm sure I'm hopelessly behind you in levels, but we should conspire to play together at some point in teh coming week.

If you look back in my posting history, I was not too thrilled with the game at first.  I spent a month or so barely bothering.  Anyhow.

I love parts of this game, and see how things are heading (in a good way).  I am up for playing with anyone; the trait systems is a boon for explorers like me as we enjoy completing and finding things within virtual worlds.  In a nutshell: I have not completed every quest, would love to (and do) join lower levels to help with quests, and in return I get missing traits and whatnot as a bonus.

On a tangent:  Traits are AWESOME.  I took some time to complete a few just to see how I would perform, and it truly is a noticable difference.  One recommendation I would give: make shit percentages.  An example is my herald.  It gives 1.1 Morale to everyone in a fellow.  Thats great, but slightly confusing to average Joe 6 pack.  Would be easy to make it say 10%.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 03:11:31 PM

/snicker

My daughter just found out I am playing LOTR.  Evidently her mother let her watch the movies, and she is all sorts of excited about it.  When told that Daddy needed to log in tonight to help with the stress test, and may even win a Wi (Told her chances were non existant), she informed me she could play Nintendo.  Good thing I already planned on purchasing one!

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 03:17:11 PM

/snicker

My daughter just found out I am playing LOTR.  Evidently her mother let her watch the movies, and she is all sorts of excited about it.  When told that Daddy needed to log in tonight to help with the stress test, and may even win a Wi (Told her chances were non existant), she informed me she could play Nintendo.  Good thing I already planned on purchasing one!

Heh, good luck!  I'm calling all kinds of stores here in Chicago and finding bupkus.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 05:14:32 PM

/snicker

Heh, good luck!  I'm calling all kinds of stores here in Chicago and finding bupkus.

2533 in que.  Hawt.  And its only 8:14pm or so.  I think things will be smoother tonight due to less people logging in.  Just a hunch...

I live on hunches and do well with them.
/shrug I have faith. 

Back on topic, I am logging off and logging back in, just to see if it was as fun as last night.  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:16:15 PM by Cheddar »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 05:47:30 PM

I probably shouldn't have written that, but I was in a snarky mood yesterday.  I realize that you're working crazy hours under contraints that you'd rather not have to adhere to.  I didn't mean to demean your hard work.  So my apologies, Cal.
Nya nya, you got caught red handed!  :-D

After getting in from 2,100th in queue last night, I found the game played fairly well.

I found the NPC/mob movement interesting. Like a cannary in a coalmine, you can predict a looming lag spike when a mob starts teleporting (heh, "telewarping) along their planned movement path. It was something like a 5 second warning. Just enough to not engage that Orc ;)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 05:54:55 PM

Number 562 in que now, plan is to get in then relog in que.  Just curious as to how well it works (already tested lag last night).

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 06:04:01 PM

Number 562 in que now, plan is to get in then relog in que.  Just curious as to how well it works (already tested lag last night).

Whoa, game got in QUICK.  Restarting que now, will do so for another 30 minutes or so.  If I was to estimate, I would say about 75% gave up after a half hour, and 50% by an hour.  After this times dropped dramatically, and log in times as a consequence improved as well.  Just guessing, though :)

All total?  I would say 10k attempted last night, and around the same tonight. 

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 06:13:23 PM

Your avatar. Eyes bleeding. Words. failing... wtf?!  shocked
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Win a Wii  
Jump to: