Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: ...and Twilight Princess pulls ahead of the pack. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ...and Twilight Princess pulls ahead of the pack.  (Read 6843 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: November 27, 2006, 01:36:10 PM

I started off a little skeptical of the Wii's flagship, not even sure that it was going to surpass Wind Waker (number three on my list, behind Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past), but after the third dungeon the story became fucked up in a way that utterly impressed me and the fighting system gained several improvements that made combat much more enjoyable, thanks to Pious Augustus showing up to teach Link how to murder.  Unless they somehow manage to fuck it up at a later point, Twilight Princess is taking the crown as best Zelda evar in my book.  It's a very slow starter, though; the first few hours of play really don't stand out or show the game in its best light, which explains why it got some less than perfect scores in early reviews.  I think as more people actually play all the way through the game, its reputation will experience a significant upswing.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:10:59 PM

(blah blah stuff) ... made combat much more enjoyable, thanks to Pious Augustus showing up to teach Link how to murder.

Wait, what? As in Eternal Darkness? This is some sort of metaphor I'm not getting, right? I'm pretty f'n confused.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:06:43 PM

Hey...at least that comment tipped me off to a game I need to check out eventually.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:11:49 PM

Somewhere around the 4th hour, when you get into the first dungeon (Forest Temple) it gets good. If it gets really better after that, it'll be a fantastic game.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:24 PM

Hey...at least that comment tipped me off to a game I need to check out eventually.

You never played/watched someone play Eternal Darkness (Gamecube)? Go search your Gamestop's used bin.

No, not later, NOW!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:40:02 PM

Anyone who's played Eternal Darkness (and yes, if you haven't, you should) and lays eyes on the character I'm talking about will make the same connection, I guarantee.  It's not actually Pious, but the family resemblance is undeniable.
Strazos

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:27:53 PM

No GC/Wii.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:39:21 AM

Even I have a GC ;)
Strazos

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:01:03 AM

Buddy had a GC. We used it almost exclusively for Smash Bros. We played a few other games as well, but mostly for Smash Bros.

I plan to get a Wii eventually though. At that point I can go back and pick up cheap GC gems such as this.

Fear the Backstab!
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 08:25:26 AM

Somewhere around the 4th hour, when you get into the first dungeon (Forest Temple) it gets good. If it gets really better after that, it'll be a fantastic game.

Yes, I'm past the first dungeon, and it was great fun.  It's surprising how much content they packed into it, since my first take when I got the map was that it was terribly small.  If the later dungeons scale as dramatically as they did with the original Zelda (and we know there are dungeons with multiple floors in this game), they could be incredibly large and complex.  I'm collecting tears for the next light-person-thing now - it's much more interesting than the first one (just walk down the path).  Also, I badly want to skewer that pixie.  Eee hee. 

As for Eternal Darkness - awesome GC title.  Very Poe, very dark.  If you have a Wii or GC and haven't played it, it's definately worth picking up.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 09:37:10 AM

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 09:41:20 AM

On a serious note, I've just completed the first dungeon and am playing to hope things get a bit better.  I think my problem lies in the fact that the game, so far, feels too linear.  In OOT (and link to the past), after getting out of the forest, even though I couldn't get in every single location of the game I could still ride around and at least see a lot of stuff.  So far, TP is giving me too much of the "you can only go this area, where you get item X, and item X enables you to open this section of the map, where you get item Y to get in area Z".  I didn't get Zelda to play a railed corridor shooter. 

Also, Hyrule field (at least the Faron and Eldin portions) seem EMPTY.  Where are the huts with funny little men who will later give me side quests and games?  Where are the conspicuous boulders hiding holes for me to fall into?  And the map, overall, does seem terribly terribly small.  Also, the color palette is getting to me.  I saw Kakariko Village and thought I was back in the first area of RE4.

Maybe its just that I'm like 6 hours into a 70 hour game.  Supposedly there are tons of sidequests and things to do which are really what make a game for me. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:45:42 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 09:49:49 AM

I wonder if some of the linearity is a reaction to people bitching about the sailboat sections of Wind Waker.

Strazos

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 09:53:25 AM

Link - The Captain Ron of Hyrule?

Fear the Backstab!
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 12:15:38 PM

I guess I am the only person that liked Wind Waker's sailing.

Captain Ron is still the shit.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:47 PM

Freedom is coming, fear not.  The opening of the game has a fair bit of railroading, but it broadens as you go.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 09:48:43 AM

Me, I saw Wind Waker's sailing as more of an additional aspects of the game.  If you wanted the land combat, you've got the land combat on the individual islands and dungeons.  Granted, Wind Waker did expect you to do quite a bit of sailing, including pulling up lots of triforce shards.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 02:43:10 PM

The sailing in Wind Waker is the best loading screen ever devised in a game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 04:31:16 PM

I liked the sailing. What's the difference between whoring for heart pieces on land and doing it in a boat, really?

TP does feel a little locked-in presently, but I have no doubt that the myriad side quests typical of Zelda games will make themselves available once the story really gets going. Still collecting tears in Hylia, and lord knows I hate a Zelda water dungeon, but then I 'spect it'll really get goooooood.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 04:32:44 PM

The sailing in Wind Waker is the best loading screen ever devised in a game.

THUG2.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 09:28:40 PM

You'll not get me to play a skateboard game.  I remember that Simpsons game.  I'll just take your word for it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:33 PM

Here we go, snapped a picture. 

Pious Augustus:

Separated at birth:

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 06:37:37 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: ...and Twilight Princess pulls ahead of the pack.  
Jump to: