Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Everquest 2 Characters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everquest 2 Characters  (Read 32697 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 29, 2004, 05:25:25 PM

So I couldn't help but preorder. One, because I'm a consumer whore. And two, because a lot of the game mechanics sound really fucking cool. Anyway, I'm gonna be making a lot of characters, I'll post them in this thread. Mostly because they don't look like they come from Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum (like the ones used as examples on the EQII home page).

[/img]

Oh and half elves win the prize for most customizable character. By that, the hair choices on them are the best.

Edit: Oh, and I can't seem to get the lips and eyes right. Mostly because the sliders are too finicky as far as the eyes go, and the lips, well the lip algorithm sucks ass.

Another edit: If the EQII live team has their heads on the game, they'll realize that these characters are ripe with possiblities in terms of magical accessories. Instead of rings, they can go the full distance. Magic noserings, hair accessories, tattoos, etc. Kind of like a vastly improved Planescape: Torment system.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 06:18:16 PM

Yes, lips really need work.  You seem to have a bit of a muzzle.  JoJo the dog-faced girl would be a good name for that character.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 06:21:54 PM

One of the problems is the preset skeleton that the skin kind of warps around, I mean seperately a lot of the results are good, but when put together on the morphed skin, it just comes out kinda meh. I'm content though, and the character creation is about as good as CoH. The only reason City of Heroes gets points is you can get your wicked armor at the beginning instead of throughout the game.

I suspect, short of helmets (because a lot of the hair is pretty fucking cool), that your character will only be improved throughout the game. Tailoring better be a fucking easy class (like in SWG to ensure that I can change the way I look.

Edit: that was a wee bit gay, wasn't it?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 06:36:23 PM

It was a wee bit gay and if you continue to create naff looking girls that you seem to think are so hot, such as that French bubble thing in CoH, you will end up a radge wee midden yourself, you midgie raker, you!

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:44:55 PM

Hey hey, the french bubble looked hot beside my little Hellboy character that I didn't think looked like hellboy until I saw the movie last night. The subconscious is a bitch.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 07:27:24 PM

I shall call him Latonza.

He sails the 7 seas on search of lone seamen. I don't know what it is about the character engine, but all of the characters, including the lizards and cats are way too easily homosexual. They really should have tossed in the ability to throw some armor and weapons on these guys so they wouldn't be wearing rags that sort of dance around them.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 08:31:03 PM

Yes, Latonza looks a "wee bit gay" (not that there's anything wrong with that). Perhaps you should take a break. Or stick to the ratonga and trolls for now. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 08:48:21 PM

Didn't he used to be green?  Wasn't he in Angel?

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 08:58:49 PM

Here are some attempts at making chars, don't mind the ghetto shading, my gfx card is getting ready to be replaced.

Gremlin?

Grandpa?

Graybeard in rat form?

Does Kirsten Know?

All this char generation really makes me thirsty for CoH.  Bah!
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 11:40:11 PM

[edit:Oh, so that's how you're doing it. ]

Still, these are nice pictures,  but if you really wanna make a statement, might be worth suggesting to view the game in action.   I just viewed that movie and I'm fairly blown away.  Of course, the gameplay is still fairly nebulous, but I can't question the expertese of the presentation.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 11:54:45 PM

To be honest, it has been the scenery that has blown me away.  Some of the panaramic shots are very nice.  I just have this sinking suspicion that they will need every bit of graphic glitz to hide the omnipresent treadmill_from_hell.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 12:24:06 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmm, that video makes the fanboi in my make happy sounds.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 12:35:30 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
but if you really wanna make a statement, might be worth suggesting to view the game in action.   I just viewed that movie and I'm fairly blown away.  Of course, the gameplay is still fairly nebulous, but I can't question the expertese of the presentation.

Well, other than those of us locked into 1024x768 can't seem to see all of the movie due to the stupid html border.

I wonder if I can just download these from somewhere as files, sans flash interfaces and html borders.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 03:42:15 AM

Quote from: Alkiera
Well, other than those of us locked into 1024x768 can't seem to see all of the movie due to the stupid html border.

I wonder if I can just download these from somewhere as files, sans flash interfaces and html borders.

If you right-click inside WMP movie window and select Properties you can see the URL (you can do this even while it's buffering/loading). You can then use your mouse to select the location text and copy paste it somewhere to download the file directly rather than watching it through the plug-in. For that particular movie the URL is:

http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq2/canned_with_vo_web.wmv
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 03:54:54 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich

Still, these are nice pictures,  but if you really wanna make a statement, might be worth suggesting to view the game in action.   I just viewed that movie and I'm fairly blown away.  Of course, the gameplay is still fairly nebulous, but I can't question the expertese of the presentation.

I really hate the character animation in those videos. Like in the first battle scene that poor barbarian looks like he is walking/running with stick up his butt. Plus his elbows seem to be stuck in a cast or something. I haven't seen animation that bad in a long long time. Even the original EQ animations are better looking than the EQ2 ones -- the EQ2 ones are just so "stiff" looking.

Edit: Fixed typos
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 04:08:10 AM

Here are direct links to all the movies on the EQII movie page for those of you who can't handle the obnoxiously large popup windows:

In Depth An EverQuest II Movie (147 MB, Windows Media Player, the movie linked above)
http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq2/canned_with_vo_web.wmv

You Won't Believe Your Eyes (218 MB, QuickTime)
http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq2/eq2_teaser.mov

Alive With Conversation and Dialogue! (132 MB, QuickTime)
http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq2/eq2_voice_over.mov

EQII goes to the Movies! (37.7 MB, Windows Media Player)
http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq2/eq2_e3_trailer.wmv

A Shining Beacon in a Darkening World (63.7 MB, QuickTime)
http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq2/eq2mixlarge.mov
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 06:48:24 AM

The half elven females have the most finicky lips of the females, which is unfortunate because they have some good hair options.  Wood elf, high elf, and human all have an easier time with the lips.  Not that they look great or anything, but they are better.

Mr.Hat, at least make serious attempts at characters, geez.  You don't even have the age slider turned off in those images, especially the halfling and the gnome making them look like they have genetic skin disorders.

EQ2 and SWG both seem to think that aging is the same thing as dying from a flesh eating virus.  So always keep the age slider all the way left.

As far as animtions, maybe the ORIGINAL EQ had better animations, but the ones in EQ2 are far better than the post luclin animations.  They are still mediocre at best though.  They could use some good motion capture or the guys who did the handmade animations for splinter cell.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 06:50:01 AM

One thing that really bothered me about the character creation was that the hair is treated as a 'wig' instead of actual hair.

I chose hairstyles that didn't have the 'just put this wig on' look because otherwise it looks hideous.

Hideous like Scary Larry up there.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 07:16:37 AM

Ooh, err!  That looked exciting!  I even saw someone who looked and sounded just like Patrick Stewart... and was that MrHat on the ship at the beginning?  I think it was!  

I don't know if it's because I suffered through some of the most boring combat in Hz and SWG but that looked like a lot of fun!

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 08:03:03 AM

I think some of the problem with the lips on that half elf schild is the chin. I found that with some of the elves you can get their chin shaped in such a way that the mouth never looks correct and I think that is what is going on there.

I have made quite a few really decent looking half elves so I know you can get the mouth/chin right but they seem a bit tricker to get the balance than some of the others.

High elves seem one of the easier to get a reasonably pretty face hehe even the men!

The real challange is to make a halfling male or female that does not look scary.

Kaid
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 30, 2004, 08:10:32 AM

The high elven females look kind of like they are drug addicts with the makeup they wear though.  Like permanently strung out on a really bad hangover.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: July 30, 2004, 08:40:24 AM

Quote from: schild
I shall call him Latonza.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

And to avoid the one-word response, you poor, poor bastard. There has got to be a methodone clinic for MMOG's somewhere. You just know she's gonna break your heart again, after stealing your wallet and making you have that threesome with her male friend EQ again.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004, 12:53:34 PM

Quote from: Signe
Ooh, err!  That looked exciting!  I even saw someone who looked and sounded just like Patrick Stewart... and was that MrHat on the ship at the beginning?  I think it was!  

I don't know if it's because I suffered through some of the most boring combat in Hz and SWG but that looked like a lot of fun!

Yaaarrrr!!!!!

Bah, the more I learn, the dirtier I feel.

I can feel that sirens pull of the information before release.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: July 30, 2004, 01:41:52 PM

Ya know, the EQ team is probably the only team I trust to make improvements on the EQ model at all. They know that they have a tons of users because they were the first and only 3d MMO for a while. They also know that there are a lot of stupid fundemental flaws in the game. I quit EQ a month after release but played through the beta, and for some reason I want EQII to come out Now.

Sirens call? Meh, the sirens are right next to me, poking at my wallet.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: July 30, 2004, 01:51:13 PM

That's not your wallet, son, and those ain't sirens, they are stormtroopers with strap-ons.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 30, 2004, 02:04:18 PM

No - those are night elves and daggers....

But they all want your wallet....

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #26 on: July 30, 2004, 02:33:22 PM

For what it's worth, I think that Squaresoft did successfully improve Everquest where several other clones fell short when they made FFXI.

I am curious if the makers of Everquest can really make a better Everquest when so many others tried and either found themselves having to branch out elsewhere or failed outright.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: July 30, 2004, 02:37:46 PM

Ya know, about FFXI, I planned on playing it, until I learned at launch there were no US only servers. Then I'm all like, fuck that noise. I do not want to compete with asian mmo-players who sit at cafes all day. Just wasn't going to happen. Especially not when they had a year jump on everyone else.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 30, 2004, 03:17:29 PM

Quote from: schild
Ya know, about FFXI, I planned on playing it, until I learned at launch there were no US only servers. Then I'm all like, fuck that noise. I do not want to compete with asian mmo-players who sit at cafes all day. Just wasn't going to happen. Especially not when they had a year jump on everyone else.

It was worth to play anyways just from a purely academic point of view.

The grind was still there, oh jesus was it, but there were several game mechanics, of which I'm sure geld will get to if you ask right, that made the game seem like an evolved everquest.

Combat mechanics, instanced housing, players making a difference in the world...
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2004, 03:45:01 PM

All of these characters scare the shit out of me.

That is all.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 30, 2004, 04:19:15 PM

The grind was still there, oh jesus was it, but there were several game mechanics, of which I'm sure geld will get to if you ask right, that made the game seem like an evolved everquest.

Combat mechanics, instanced housing, players making a difference in the world...

To me the grind in FFXI did not become painfully evident until after level 60.  At 60 you got your last piece of AF armor and there wasn't any more carrots until Dynamis which you need to be at least 65 but more like 70 before you could get invites regularly to go.  Before level 60 there always seemed to be large enough reward every 5 levels or so to keep it interesting ie Choco License, Airship Pass and AF Armor.

Personally I hope EQ2 shamelessly copies FFXI's combat mechanics.  As a Paladin I was kept busy during combat with several hate getting options and weapon skills while damage dealers were busied with Elemental Skillchains and Magic Bursts.  I can't speak from the healer-type side of things other than it looked rather boring to me but I've never been one to play that type or avatar.

The Missions and Quests were of two types.  Zerg rush to victory and some that were rather intricate and involved.  The latter rewarded you with meaningful cutscenes which put you in the the storyline.

If there were enough bright shineys at level 60+ I think me and most in the Linkshell I was in would still be playing.  Most have cut all ties with FFXI but I'm hanging on to my account until I see what the exp pack has to offer.  Not to sound melodramatic but the players in the Linkshell (WT) are a great bunch to game with and made a big difference on how the game was percieved as well.

-Tige
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: July 30, 2004, 04:51:00 PM

FFXI was a nice try but it just turned me off.  

First of all, all of your advancement is going to come through pure whack the foozle.  This wouldn't be soo bad if it was fast paced and varied combat, but it really isn't.  The grind for me started to set in as soon as level 10.  You can just feel it in the air pressing down on you, crushing your will to log in.

Plus the complete lack of solobility was something I couldn't stand.  I saw there was the possibility to do a lot of cool quests, get a lot of neat loot, and have some pretty interesting encounters but these were all offset by the monumental amount of catassing needed to reach there.  The game was so parsed out by level, it was disgusting.

However, the atmosphere, some of the quests, and the overall professionalism of the game was astounding.   Valiant attempt, but gearing a game towards 15 year old Koreans with no life isn't going to keep me subbed for long.

This is why I doubt I'll pick up EQ2.  If I have to sit in Sibilis for 30 minutes trying to get a group, I'm just going to flip out and burst an artery in my skull.  If the game provides and ample soloing experience with lots and lots of quests to do and can run on my computer, then I'll pick it up.  I can't do group required gameplay anymore, my life has moved on.

-Rasix
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 30, 2004, 05:07:49 PM

I have one big gripe with EQ2 CC . - Can anyone create any half-elf ,elf , dark elf ,wood elf males which dont look 70 to 100% gay? I mean I spent like 30 minutes trying to create something  looking remotely straight. -Randomizing produced even more gay results.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 30, 2004, 05:10:43 PM

I'm trying to think of *any* elf, in any game that didn't look at least 50% gay.......

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 30, 2004, 06:23:59 PM

God Damn Elves are Gay.

That's not your mother, that's a man baby!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Everquest 2 Characters  
Jump to: