Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:43:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: New Ryzom webpage, more game info 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Ryzom webpage, more game info  (Read 7136 times)
schmoo
Terracotta Army

on: March 21, 2004, 06:46:03 PM

As of March 19, but I just noticed it today.  Interesting game ideas. Anyone in the beta?

Edited to add obligatory link:

http://www.ryzom.com
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 08:17:12 PM

Yes and it's not _that_ bad.

It feels too childish though.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 07:00:33 AM

Hm. See, now, when I click on a thread about a new webpage, I tend to assume there will be a link to the page.

And, yes, I'm sure I could guess the link. Probably in fewer characters than this takes. But it's the fucking principle of the thing.

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
Div_Devlin

Email
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 07:25:07 AM

Quote from: HRose
Yes and it's not _that_ bad.

It feels too childish though.

Heya HRose, there is about eight of us in also, if you want to hook give me a shout (maybe on the q3 boards, to many folks getting banned here, I hear).
schmoo
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 07:57:49 AM

Quote from: Snowspinner
Hm. See, now, when I click on a thread about a new webpage, I tend to assume there will be a link to the page.

And, yes, I'm sure I could guess the link. Probably in fewer characters than this takes. But it's the fucking principle of the thing.

And principles are important!

Link added for the principled.

When you say 'feels too childish', HRose, do you mean graphically childish or childish gameplay?  Or what?
Stige

Email
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:08:30 PM

I played it some and I agree it does feel childish.  Childish in the graphics.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 02:20:25 PM

Quote from: schmoo
When you say 'feels too childish', HRose, do you mean graphically childish or childish gameplay?  Or what?

The interface, then the graphic and even the gameplay. But I don't know if there's depth below. The ideas behind the game seem quite new.

It's very polished as a beta, it offers a decent newbie experience and it feels completely at the other side of something rough. Like something ready to go gold. But it's still the impression I got installing and logging in for a few minutes. I don't know what it offers in the long distance.

P.S.
Just noticed: there's collision detection both with mobs and players.

More EDIT:
http://www.gamezone.com/news/03_22_04_12_02PM.htm

That's a biased/interesting interview.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 09:10:53 AM

Some Info:
http://nevrax.com/about/

Founded in early 2000, Paris based Nevrax is an Online Game and software development company that specializes in Massively Multi Players' Online Games.

Utilizing NeL, its open source platform, NEVRAX's team of 50+ engineers and designers are nearing the completion of their first MMORPG, a Science Fantasy game entitled, "The Saga of Ryzom".

http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=ryzom.com

domain:      RYZOM.COM
owner-address:   Nevrax Limited
owner-address:   60 Lombard Street
owner-address:   EC3V9EA
owner-address:   London
owner-address:   United Kingdom

http://www.nevrax.org/docs/

What is NeL
NeL is a toolkit for the development of massively online universes. It provides the base technologies and a set of development methodologies for the development of both client and server code

It is clear that 'look alike' products that use the complete set or a sub-set of the features for an existing NeL product may get away with no extra technology development work at all.

NeL MMORPG architecture
The NeL solution is designed around a typical client/ server setup with the following physical machines:

Admin site
Login server
Manages user login and password authentication and negotiates with shards for connection points for clients.
Shard administration servers
Server that communicate, by secure means, with the different servers of the different shards that are up.
Client site
Client PC
Has client software & data installed
Server site
The servers at each site are organised into sets that each manage simulate a single complete instance of a virtual univers. These groups arerefered to as shards. Each shard has the following servers on its own dedicated LAN :

Front end servers
A number of servers that manage player connections
Back end servers
One or more servers that manage the game world and AI.
The back end software comprises a set of executables called 'services'. The list of services required to run a shard back end is product dependent. Any number of services can run on each back end server.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 09:52:51 AM

They are obviously smoking the good stuff... I mean just look at the gameworld and screenshots too.

They also are paying Themis. /shurg

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: New Ryzom webpage, more game info  
Jump to: