Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 05:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PS3 Q&A Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PS3 Q&A Thread  (Read 104120 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #350 on: March 23, 2007, 08:24:49 AM

My setup can't do 720, so I'm just looking to get what I can get.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: March 23, 2007, 10:48:37 PM

Question about folding@home: are we able to run it in the background while playing a game or watching a movie?  I ask because the PS3 gets awfully warm when left on for extended periods, and I can't see myself just leaving my ps3 on at all hours.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #352 on: March 24, 2007, 05:30:33 PM

Don't think you can. Background running (or screensaver mode) would be a nice feature to add though.

In other news, the PS3 is a beast.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #353 on: March 24, 2007, 05:32:50 PM

And the client isn't even publically available yet.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #354 on: March 24, 2007, 05:37:58 PM

Oh? Not available for who? I'm confused.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #355 on: March 24, 2007, 06:02:28 PM

The PS3 client(s). If you go to the Folding@Home Web site they say it'll be available at the end of the month and it's not listed on their download page.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: March 24, 2007, 06:31:09 PM

The PS3 client(s). If you go to the Folding@Home Web site they say it'll be available at the end of the month and it's not listed on their download page.

Hmm?  PS3 people have been downloading it and returning packets.  What're you talking about?

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #357 on: March 24, 2007, 06:50:50 PM

Hmm?  PS3 people have been downloading it and returning packets.  What're you talking about?
My bad, the client was made available on March 22 through the PS3 1.6 firmware update. I assumed it was going to be something you could download off the main Folding@Home Web site.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #358 on: March 24, 2007, 07:00:09 PM

Yeah, it's downloadable through the XMB, starting with the patch from last week. I've had it since then. That pic above is the number of normal PS3 users who were running Folding@Home when I made that post. Just a modest number of clients, and they're already nearing a petaflop on their own. Pretty neat.

It's probably not listed as downloadable from a website because the distribution is wacky for that format or something. But it is downloadable through the PS3 itself.
schild
Administrator

Reply #359 on: March 25, 2007, 09:04:51 AM

Huh. So, all those jokes about the PS3 not having games but being able to cure cancer (or someshit) might turn out to be right. Between SETI@Home, Folding@Home and that other one, has Anything good come out of these distributed projects?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #360 on: March 25, 2007, 10:48:42 AM

Folding@Home, relatively speaking, hasn't been out that long.

As for anything good coming out of them, I don't know... Probably not. But I think it's Seti@Home that gives distributing projects an air of futility. Folding@Home might be reaching for the impossible as well, but the goal is more down to earth than searching for ET through radiowaves.

[EDIT] Ok, here are some results they've had with it:

http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

It's greek to me, but at least they learn things incrementally. Whether they're "curing" cancer or not, it aids in research. SETI, on the other hand, is not for research. I imagine that there isn't much to learn at all. You only have two possible answers: Yes, aliens exist. Or, no, they don't exist.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 11:08:51 AM by Stray »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #361 on: March 25, 2007, 02:46:29 PM

I submit that SETI actually gives you "Yes, aliens exist" or "Not sure".

In regard to PS3 and heat, I leave mine on for days at a time.  If I'm not near a save point in FFXII, I just pause it and leave... in fact it is paused right now.  I did enlarge the hole in the back of my cabinet to make sure the fans could expel the hot air; with just a hand test, it seems to have decent airflow.  The PS3 makes much less heat than some of the Power4 machines at work, but it is some magnitude smaller.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: March 25, 2007, 05:16:12 PM

Huh. So, all those jokes about the PS3 not having games but being able to cure cancer (or someshit) might turn out to be right. Between SETI@Home, Folding@Home and that other one, has Anything good come out of these distributed projects?

Of course there has! Just read this and you'll see it clearly!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #363 on: March 25, 2007, 06:13:08 PM

Folding@Home, relatively speaking, hasn't been out that long.

As for anything good coming out of them, I don't know... Probably not. But I think it's Seti@Home that gives distributing projects an air of futility. Folding@Home might be reaching for the impossible as well, but the goal is more down to earth than searching for ET through radiowaves.

[EDIT] Ok, here are some results they've had with it:

http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html
This is the better page for what F@H has contributed so far:

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-diseases.html
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #364 on: March 25, 2007, 06:20:04 PM

Folding@Home is doing very useful stuff (see above link). Some of the other distributed projects like distributed.net are helping test the strength of cryptographic systems that a lot things depend on now. And then there are the just for fun projects (well fun to math geeks) like the search for Mersenne primes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #365 on: March 28, 2007, 06:40:37 PM

Thought this sounded a bit interesting:

PS3 Gets Pixel Junk
New casual game download service from the maker of Star Fox.

March 28, 2007 - PlayStation 3 downloadable content has been a bit slow off the start following the system's launch late last year, but Sony at last seems to be kicking things into high gear. The Game Developers Conference brought about first details on Home and Little Big Planet. And now, the latest issue of Famitsu has revealed first details on an original Japanese production, Pixel Junk.

Pixel Junk is a game distribution service by Kyoto-based Q-Games (not to be confused with Tokyo-based Q Entertainment, maker of Lumines). While the magazine only managed to get the vaguest of details, the service promises to feature unique, casual game experiences delivered to PS3 owners via the PlayStation Network.

The name "Pixel Junk" may seem a bit odd for a Japanese studio operating out of Japan's historical capital, but Q Games is no ordinary Japanese studio. The studio was formed in 2001 by Dylan Cuthbert. Nintendo fans will recognize Cuthbert as the guy behind Star Fox (and its unreleased sequel, Star Fox II) on the SNES. Also a founding member of the studio is Kenkichi Shimooka, the creator of the original Ape Escape (hired by Sony on the strength of his work with the DIY "Game Yaroze" project on PS1.)

Cuthbert has worked on numerous projects with Sony in the past, including the famous duck tech demo from the PS2's launch as well as the impressive PSP demos from E3 2004. Every time you turn on your PS3, you're witness to a Q-developed product, as the studio worked on the PS3's operating system, notably the wavy pattern that appears in the background of the main menu. The team's most recent game productions were the mainstream DS title Star Fox Armada and the more esoteric GBA bit Generations game, Digidrive.

What kind of games can we expect to carry the name Pixel Junk? That's unknown at the moment, but Q-Games talked way back in 2004 about a "next-generation broadband online project" that it was developing technology for. The team estimated at the time that its work would take 3-4 years of development to achieve ... it looks like the wait is now over, and with so much time invested in the production (as well as the top-tier talent behind the project), Pixel Junk may be very exciting stuff for PS3.

While pricing and release plans were not revealed in Famitsu, given Q's pedigree, we can't wait to immerse ourselves in Pixel Junk
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #366 on: March 28, 2007, 08:13:48 PM

Casual games that were 3-4 years in the making?
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: March 29, 2007, 06:02:38 AM

Casual development.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #368 on: April 06, 2007, 01:00:37 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #369 on: April 09, 2007, 06:28:06 AM

Fuck Dragon's Lair.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #370 on: April 09, 2007, 09:54:11 PM

Does anyone remember this one Dragon's Lair type game that was more anime based, and contained a story with helicopters in it?

I stumbled across it once when I was a kid, but never knew the name. I've been trying to figure out that one for a long ass time.

In other news, some new Heavenly Sword pics (GamePro are bitches for making them so small though). Looks like they got rid of the bloom.

(love the asscheek)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: April 09, 2007, 10:01:35 PM

Nice ass.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #372 on: April 12, 2007, 11:30:35 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #373 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:55 PM

That can only be good, if you ask me.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #374 on: April 12, 2007, 01:05:01 PM

That can only be good, if you ask me.

I'm not sure how you figure that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #375 on: April 12, 2007, 01:10:44 PM

I will pretend I am a math professor and ask you to demonstrate how it will be bad.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #376 on: April 12, 2007, 01:14:29 PM

It's probably good, they won't have to waste their expensive and difficult to produce components on the crappy version no one wants.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: April 12, 2007, 01:17:29 PM

Does anyone remember this one Dragon's Lair type game that was more anime based, and contained a story with helicopters in it?

I think it was called Cliff Hanger.

They had one at the Showbiz Pizza Place by my childhood home.  Happy birthday boy or girl.

Brief review and some tiny tiny pictures.

IMDB

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:25:25 PM by Driakos »

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #378 on: April 12, 2007, 01:34:07 PM

I will pretend I am a math professor and ask you to demonstrate how it will be bad.

For those not interested in Wi-Fi, the 20GB was the better deal as you can get a new HDD (one bigger than 60GB if you want) for less than the $100 extra you'd pay for the 60GB model.  As long as they kept a $100 between the two models when they did price drops, the 20B is the model I would have gone for.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: April 12, 2007, 01:49:35 PM

Too much HDD. Does anyone really need that kind of storage in a console?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #380 on: April 12, 2007, 02:05:35 PM

Too much HDD. Does anyone really need that kind of storage in a console?

DVR use among other things.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #381 on: April 12, 2007, 02:12:51 PM

For those not interested in Wi-Fi, the 20GB was the better deal as you can get a new HDD (one bigger than 60GB if you want) for less than the $100 extra you'd pay for the 60GB model.  As long as they kept a $100 between the two models when they did price drops, the 20B is the model I would have gone for.

Sound reasoning.  In my case, I have found that my future self never worries about that Franklin I once had more than the wi-fi I don't have.  My shining example is how I passed on seeing Bowie at Chastain Ampitheatre because I felt bad for wasting the money on frivolous things.  Which one do you think I would miss more today, that lousy $100 or seeing the Reality tour in a non-stadium venue?  Sometimes logic bites you in the nutsack.

Also, Sky, are you being serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: April 13, 2007, 08:09:39 AM

my future self never worries about that Franklin I once had
cry

And yeah, I was genuinely curious. I never used my xbox hd for anything except a few save games.

Also, I've never regretted spending money to see an artist I admire. I get to see Buddy Guy twice this year!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: April 13, 2007, 08:14:45 AM

I absolutely need more than 20 gigs (err 15) on my 360.  I'm already finding myself deleting things that I would rather save to make space for new things.

I'm presuming you will be able to put the Elite's 120 gig'er onto the regular 360.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #384 on: April 13, 2007, 11:00:04 AM

I absolutely need more than 20 gigs (err 15) on my 360.  I'm already finding myself deleting things that I would rather save to make space for new things.

I'm presuming you will be able to put the Elite's 120 gig'er onto the regular 360.

Yeah, but I think the 120GB is going to cost around $180 iif you buy it separately.  I'm hoping that once MS gets the 360 to recognize a HDD bigger than 20GB, someone will figure out how to get other HDD's to work in there.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PS3 Q&A Thread  
Jump to: