Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 09:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games  (Read 645441 times)
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #455 on: July 31, 2008, 03:31:32 PM

That's what I meant!    Ohhhhh, I see.

But the "s" is ESSENTIAL!  YOU MUST HAVE THE S!!!!!!

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: July 31, 2008, 04:54:35 PM

I don't pimp myself and I don't and haven't engaged in telling you this is the greatest game ever. I certainly won't post to downplay the product and given the total absence of content in my posts the only thing I can talk about is the excitement in what I am seeing.
Cuffing just isn't in the cards and it really is on me to live and learn, which I think I have done and will continue to do.
I have always enjoyed interacting with the communities of the different MMO forums and see no reason why that would ever stop.
As a gamer first and foremost I will always interact in this sort of discussion and since I have founded a company that's making an MMO some of the topics and discussions here might be relevant to something we are doing, you never know.

If you really want to interact with this MMO community here, then maybe you should try becoming part of it.  Post in other threads.  Hang out.  Get to know people, etc.  That's how communities work.  I think you'd be surprised how much more successful that would be, rather than telling me how awesome your team is over and over because it's all you can say.

AKA Gyoza
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:19 PM

Like to put your "money" where your mouth is? You define train wreck, and let's see if we can't find something in common, and I'll bet you something VERY cool it is anything but that.

I made a picture instead.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: July 31, 2008, 05:27:42 PM

Heart

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #459 on: July 31, 2008, 05:35:45 PM

I liked New Coke awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #460 on: July 31, 2008, 05:44:27 PM

HA!  And here I was expecting not to laugh tonight!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: July 31, 2008, 06:42:16 PM

I think Schilling already has the cards stacked against him when it comes to interacting on MMO forums just because of the sad, bullshit-stewn wake that Brad McQuaid left behind.

I dunno, I'm not as jaded as most of the folks here. I still like the diku/leveling model, I think it works and I think variations on that theme can still be very successful if done with the right amount of care, knowledge, and aesthetic sensibility.
WayAbvPar

Reply #462 on: August 01, 2008, 07:19:07 AM

I still like the diku/leveling model,

Lucky you, since there are a dozen or so games out there for you to choose from. Some of us are hoping that someone (anyone) will have the stones to buck the trend and make something different.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #463 on: August 01, 2008, 07:50:21 AM

I think Schilling already has the cards stacked against him when it comes to interacting on MMO forums just because of the sad, bullshit-stewn wake that Brad McQuaid left behind.

That would be true if I had some sort of evil plan behind doing this. I don't. For the most part I am no different than most here with the exception of being able to throw a baseball a lot harder than all of you and the fact I don't throw out F bombs like I used to since I have 4 kids and grew up a little bit. Other than that there isn't much difference in me and most here. I post because I enjoy playing MMO's.

Someone earlier mentioned I'd fit in better if I posted around the forums. I am not looking to 'fit in' in that manner I don't think. I post in forums that are of interest to me. The ONLY game that's got my attention outside of WoW right now is Sins of a Solar Empire (which I don't think I can recommend highly enough).

schild
Administrator

Reply #464 on: August 01, 2008, 07:51:34 AM

The ONLY game that's got my attention outside of WoW right now is Sins of a Solar Empire (which I don't think I can recommend highly enough).

Curt, this is part of the problem people are having.
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #465 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:26 AM

Meaning? People are having problems that WoW is the game I am playing? Oh I have dabbled in ALL of the MMO's to date. From UO to EQ, EQ2, AC, GW, DAOC, TR, all, but none has hooked me to stay other than EQ, EQ2 and WoW.
The change over from EQ2 to WoW was one made kicking and screaming at the time, but I laugh at now. Anyone calling WoW carebear has not experienced t4 to t6 raids.
But if people have a 'problem' with me not playing that much, well not much I can do about that.

schild
Administrator

Reply #466 on: August 01, 2008, 07:56:05 AM

What other games did you play and enjoy in the last year?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:11 AM

I enjoyed Sins of a Solar Empire. Why are we grilling curt?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #468 on: August 01, 2008, 08:01:42 AM

I'm not grilling him. I'm just interested in his gaming habits. I'm interested in Everyone's Gaming Habits.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: August 01, 2008, 08:04:43 AM

I'm not grilling him. I'm just interested in his gaming habits. I'm interested in Everyone's Gaming Habits.

Ah, ok. Was meaning the flurry of postings razing him. but yeah, it would be interesting to know what hes into.

Here my question:

What MMOs have you played. a list would be good. and perhaps a one sentience about what you liked, and disliked.

If so inclined.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #470 on: August 01, 2008, 08:05:56 AM

Bloodworth, my question is far more interesting. He's discussed his MMOG habits a lot more than anything else. Thx for totally interrupting though.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:47 AM

cool I hope he answers both.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #472 on: August 01, 2008, 08:44:37 AM

I still like the diku/leveling model,

Lucky you, since there are a dozen or so games out there for you to choose from. Some of us are hoping that someone (anyone) will have the stones to buck the trend and make something different.

This is my plan should I win the Powerball, but that $2 a week just isn't turning over like I'd hoped.  Damn hillbillies need to stop playing and let me win.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yes, yes, there's better uses for the cash than a game.. but all winners blow their money in spectacular fashion. I choose mine to be a more public spectacle.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #473 on: August 01, 2008, 09:00:35 AM

Heh. That is one of my fantasies too. Wild West MMOG with PvP and skill based advancement! Now, I just need to win a couple of hundred million...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #474 on: August 01, 2008, 09:15:14 AM

Yeah.  As if you guys would bother with any of that if you win the lottery.  You'll be too busy driving fast cars, flying to your island holiday homes and buying awesome toys like this:

Especially WAP.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: August 01, 2008, 09:28:12 AM

Heh. That is one of my fantasies too. Wild West MMOG with PvP and skill based advancement! Now, I just need to win a couple of hundred million...

I got my hopes up with Frontier 1859, but I've given up.  Hurry up and win the lottery.  I want this game too. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:30:42 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: August 01, 2008, 09:30:49 AM

Does fallen earth count?

schild
Administrator

Reply #477 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:50 AM

Fallen Earth isn't a game yet.

Edit: I'm surprised someone hasn't started a "Infinite money and time, what MMOG would you make?" thread.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #478 on: August 01, 2008, 09:43:14 AM

Fallen Earth isn't a game yet.

Edit: I'm surprised someone hasn't started a "Infinite money and time, what MMOG would you make?" thread.

You should do that!  I would but I'm tired and you're closer to the internet.

gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #479 on: August 01, 2008, 09:54:13 AM

For the past few years I always had a game or two that I needed to quench my gaming thirst as we traveled on the team plane. The last few years it was Rome:Total War and the Expansions which led to Total War 2. Company of Heroes was in there. This year it was, believe it or not Warcraft 3:) I never played beyond the original Warcraft and I didn't get too far on the first pass. I had a blast finally learning some of the WoW back story and being able to log in and see it.

Sins of the Solar Empire is my current non-WoW fixation. Fantastic game, incredibly well polished and as well done a UI as one could possibly hope for when managing potentially endless force size and composition.
MMOs?

Well again, it was UO and EQ. The switch from UO to EQ was as hard as the switch from EQ2 to WoW was for me.

I am a die hard wargamer by nature. Check out www.multimanpublishing.com if you are by chance an old grognard board gamer. That's my small publishing company I've owned for about 15 years now.

38 Studios owns the IP to about 95% of the games there with hopes to flesh that out into a full blown online wargamming community someday.

Problem with me is that I am ADD in a bad way and OCD a bit as well. When I lock onto a hobby it's usually at 150% of my time and attention when I was not playing baseball.

Some of my favorite older games? Games that will date me?

Well my first love and probably funnest memories are with Wizardry. Was and always will be the one that hooked me forever.

Anyone else totally smitten by X-Com? Loved that one.

Was big into SSR and their military stuff. Age of Sail was literally the E-version of Wooden Ships and Iron Men, a game I loved.

Advanced Squad Leader was my favorite, and still is, board game of all time.

I think my favorite RPG of all time would be a Curse of the Azure Bonds. IMO it was the first and best story I've ever been allowed to play out.

Baldur's Gate, BF 1942 I loved. Castle Wolfenstein, the FIRST ONE!! And the new one was awesome as well.

Only console games I got hooked on were Madden. I love the realism thing in sports sims.

APBA baseball was something I wasted thousands of hours on as a kid.

schild
Administrator

Reply #480 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:06 AM

So, you're ADD and OCD. Much like me.

But......... you don't play console games? Do you just not enjoy them?

I am a die hard wargamer by nature. Check out www.multimanpublishing.com if you are by chance an old grognard board gamer. That's my small publishing company I've owned for about 15 years now.

38 Studios owns the IP to about 95% of the games there with hopes to flesh that out into a full blown online wargamming community someday.

THIS IS FASCINATING.

Where's Jain Zar? Did we actually chase that cranky old weirdo away?
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #481 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:40 AM

Not really no. There are some great ones, Bioshock, Halo, NBA2k, but once I realized the depth a computer game could give you I never really went back to consoles. When I was in the minor leagues we always had console games in our apartments to blow time but I was never a fanatic for that type of game or platform once I realized I could outfit a PC or laptop on an unlimited budget and enjoy games running at their max settings:)

The twitch aspect isn't as enjoyable to me as it might have once been.

schild
Administrator

Reply #482 on: August 01, 2008, 09:59:36 AM

You know, I could ramble off a list of wargames and SRPGs that are as deep if not deeper than anything found on a PC. But I'm not sure whether it's a wasted effort or not. Suffice it to say, I'm a big fan of people playing of breadth in people's gaming habits. When you focus too much, you miss out on a lot of gems and - well, essentially it boils down to a massive case of tunnel vision.

Here, I'll bite, ever heard of Dai Senryaku?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:01:16 AM by schild »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #483 on: August 01, 2008, 10:02:45 AM

I weigh more than 120 pounds these days.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

With or without pants?

Both.  awesome, for real

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:31 AM

Advanced Squad Leader was my favorite, and still is, board game of all time.

You had me at "hello". 

Make an online playable version of this, please!  I miss the days of arguing over machine gun penetration factors.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #485 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:43 AM

You know, I could ramble off a list of wargames and SRPGs that are as deep if not deeper than anything found on a PC. But I'm not sure whether it's a wasted effort or not. Suffice it to say, I'm a big fan of people playing of breadth in people's gaming habits. When you focus too much, you miss out on a lot of gems and - well, essentially it boils down to a massive case of tunnel vision.

Here, I'll bite, ever heard of Dai Senryaku?

No

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #486 on: August 01, 2008, 10:08:59 AM

See, if you do that? You have my attention from the word motherfucking go. (Yes, me likey the F bombs) The wargaming community needs an online injection of cash, development and shit to play more than the entire world needs another fantasy diku MMOG. Shit, go give the guys at Creative Assembly an asston of money if you want to spend your cash on some game development.

But an MMOG? A fantasy MMOG with Salvatore and McFarlane as the only selling points you can tell us about right now? I have trouble even getting the least amount of interest up for it. I've seen it. YOU'VE seen it. Hey, it's your money and I'm just a foul-mouthed asshole on the Internet. But I can tell you which market is more saturated with samey-samey clones.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: August 01, 2008, 10:11:16 AM

I must've missed something, because with the exception of a couple, most of the red names only post to the threads about their own properties or interests...  I don't see any reason this example should be any different, and possibly the only difference is eevryone trying to one up each other. Everyone here stopped discussing the game and company involved here pages and pages ago, just like every other discussion past page 3 here. I also haven't ever seen another red name that was greeted in this fashion, but I give up trying to understand this place. /shrug

I wonder what the derail will discuss for the next 3 pages?

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: August 01, 2008, 10:11:58 AM

Again Haemish encapsulates my thoughts.  I built a brand new machine in anticipation of WWII Online (*waits for laughter*).  I don't think I'm alone.  There is such a vast expanse of emptiness in the wargame/wargame-mmo hybrid arena that anything produced with even mediocre gameplay would likely be self-sustaining.  It would never capture the mass appeal of WoW, but I think shooting for that market is a monumental mistake.  There are many niches out there with a strong following that could easily sustain a well made and maintained project.

-  Mark Twain
gehrig38
Developers

Green Monster Games

Reply #489 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:43 AM

You've seen it? Hell I haven't seen it before and I am looking at it every day. It's not what you've seen before.

As far as wargaming and MMO gaming, one is a market, the other is a niche. That's ok though because we'll be making games WE want to play throughout the life of 38 as opposed to making games that someone above us would be asking us to make to better position ourselves or our products in the market place. That's the one other aspect of this that I am excited as hell about. The games we make, from this first IP on, will be games we want to play and love to play, as opposed to games needed to be made for business reasons or partnerships.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Schilling's Green Monster Games  
Jump to: