Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:53:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Game mechanic questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game mechanic questions  (Read 3012 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

on: November 14, 2006, 06:33:15 PM

Figured it would be nice to get a fresh thread of questions going, since we have an influx of nooblets.

What is mood, hope, and dread?  I noticed it tonight for the first time, and was wondering what the hell it was for.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:52:19 PM

Has anyone checked out this beta player's guide that is in the LOTRO directory?  I need to read some kind of manual, it seems.  Is it going to be worth reading or will it make my brain hurt?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:55:53 PM

There's a player's guide?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:30:53 AM

The beta manual is in the install directory, it's about 7-9 pages long from memory and doesn't really have much in it.

Mood, Hope and Dread have just been added in the latest patch.  I believe they affect your stats, as your stats affect your skills, higher Dread (after a recent death) just weakens you a bit.

The major change I have noticed is area based elements to this, Rivendell has a positive effect on your character, this might boast stats slightly (I'll have to check) so eventually it might give a small bonus to crafting criticals.

At moment there's a couple of localised areas in the North Downs where Dread badly affects your character, you are stunned for about 4 seconds and cower in fear, this repeats every few seconds, it's really annoying.  The areas are SW of Fornost and on the road to Angmar, it's clearly something they will adjust in future patches.  The Dread doesn't affect the whole area as if you manage to get past the gates on the road to Angmar the small part of the road beyond that you can enter is not affected.

The most useful tip I have for game mechanics is that the delete key highlights the closest clickable object, so if you are looking for an object to collect for a quest, running around and taping "delete" then doing /follow helps a lot.  It's useful for finding chests in the wilderness as well.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:00 AM

The beta manual is in the install directory, it's about 7-9 pages long from memory and doesn't really have much in it.
There's the Alpha 2 quick start guide but that just has an explanation of the basic controls.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:12:30 AM

http://beta.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=449

The Beta User Guide is located in your LOTRO directory. Assuming you used the default directory, it should be located here:

C:\Program Files\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\en

Yeah there's not much in it, but Turbine refer to it as the Beta user guide, so if there's another user guide I don't know of it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Game mechanic questions  
Jump to: