Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: PS3 Prices Shock the Uninformed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PS3 Prices Shock the Uninformed  (Read 9000 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: November 14, 2006, 06:53:47 AM

PS3 Prices Shock the Uninformed

I thought I lived under a rock.  I don't watch TV for the most part, and I certainly don't read a newspaper... much to my chagrin when I go to vote, but whatever.  I guess that I am actually far more aware of the gaming scene than most people, and according to a news item that I found on Gamasutra, most people planning on getting a PS3 were completely unaware that Sony was planning on gouging them.

According to [Intertron Analyst] Compete’s October 2006 survey of active current-generation console gamers, almost half (48%) of those considering a PS3 expect it to cost less than $300. When told of the PS3’s actual retail price, 73% of all gamers and 59% of those considering a PS3 thought it was overpriced.

In their blog, analysis corp Compete has a nifty chart.  You know how much we love charts at F13.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:00:35 AM

All I can think about is "The Shocker".
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:07:10 AM

Didn't anyone inform them that they should be happy to be allowed to purchase this revolutionary product at any price?

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 08:49:31 AM

All I can think about is "The Shocker".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:45:52 PM

I think it's significant that the survey didn't include the all-important question "will you buy it anyway?".  Because you know that people who were planning on buying a PS3 for $200 will bitch and moan that it's $600, and then line up at release day with everyone else.  Sony knows this.  Sony depends on this.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:02:29 PM

I think it's significant that the survey didn't include the all-important question "will you buy it anyway?".  Because you know that people who were planning on buying a PS3 for $200 will bitch and moan that it's $600, and then line up at release day with everyone else.  Sony knows this.  Sony depends on this.

A lot of these sales depend on Mommie or Daddy being willing to pony up $500-600.  I'm guessing that will not go down too well.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 10:32:00 PM

Christmas is coming.  Mommy and Daddy will pay whatever they think they have to in order to avoid having their child traumatized by not getting the overpriced toy he wants.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:16:12 PM

Assuming any are available for $600 before Christmas.  The way things are going, some long lost U-boat skipper will sink the boat with all the PS3s on it over the Marianas Trench.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 11:19:09 PM

PS3s are already in stores. That's how Gamestop knows they've been stiffed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:31:23 AM

The way things are going, some long lost U-boat skipper will sink the boat with all the PS3s on it over the Marianas Trench.
Aaand...the crab people rejoice.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:56 AM

The way things are going, some long lost U-boat skipper will sink the boat with all the PS3s on it over the Marianas Trench.
Aaand...the crab people rejoice.

Until they realize they won't be able to play any new decent games until next March.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 08:50:32 AM

And then all surface dwellers die.

Damn six word short story thread.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:13:00 AM

Christmas is coming.  Mommy and Daddy will pay whatever they think they have to in order to avoid having their child traumatized by not getting the overpriced toy he wants.

Most parents will opt for the Wii, I think.  Nintendo is much more kid-friendly, plus it's way cheaper.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: PS3 Prices Shock the Uninformed  
Jump to: