Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Actual physical MTG cards... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Actual physical MTG cards...  (Read 5364 times)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

on: November 13, 2006, 03:31:32 PM

So in our most recent move, I found all of my old MTG cards from the mid to late 90s.  I know this is the MTG Online forum, but hey, why waste space in a busier forum? 

At any rate, I have no real use for these cards.  I have no idea if any are now rare or valuable.  Is it going to be a massive pain in the ass to determine this?  I've located some price guide sites and it seems that I have alpha and beta series cards, and quite possibly some reasonably rare ones as well.  The problem is that most of the sites don't seem like they've been updated very much.  Is there something I'm missing out on here or should I just trash the cards and not make any effort to sell 'em?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:40:38 PM

Do you have a digital camera, take some pictures. (Not kidding).

Easier than typing them all, which you could do as well (or instead of pictures).
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:41:44 PM

Since they're alpha and beta cards, it's very possible you could have something worthwhile.  Black Lotus, any of the Power Nine, and others could go for dozens to hundreds of dollars.  

You might try Starcitygames.com and check the prices on the cards you have.  I'd be leery of getting it checked out at a card/games shop, as there's a chance the person you're talking could just rip you off completely.  Starcity might buy the cards as well, not sure.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:03:10 PM

www.anycraze.com

I prefer this one to most of the others,  and I've been using it to order from for a while.  They go through the trouble of breaking card values out by set, too.

It'll be higher then you would actually get from ebay/cardstore,  but that goes without saying.

Honestly,  even alpha/beta lands will go for a decent amount (couple of bucks) to people who want to spice up their decks.

After Unlimited,  nothing is really of too high value except for the dual lands (Tundra, Taiga, Volcanic Island, etc),  which still go for $20ish a pop.

Edit:

The "big" finds, which run for $500-2000, would be:

Black Lotus (Anycraze is listing alpha/beta at +$2000)
any Mox (Emerald, Diamond, etc)
Time Walk
Time Twister
Ancestral Recall

Alpha/Beta staples or very powerful cards will still run pretty high.  Alpha/Beta Wrath of God or Armageddon, etc.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:09:57 PM by Johny Cee »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 07:19:33 AM

Do you have a digital camera, take some pictures. (Not kidding).

Easier than typing them all, which you could do as well (or instead of pictures).

Gotta see if I can find the old, crappy camera.  The good one is broken and currently at the mfr. for a fix.  Either that or I'll post what I have.  I know some are not alpha and beta cards, but I have a good amount in a few boxes.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 02:16:58 PM

Since they're alpha and beta cards, it's very possible you could have something worthwhile.  Black Lotus, any of the Power Nine, and others could go for dozens to hundreds of dollars.  

You might try Starcitygames.com and check the prices on the cards you have.  I'd be leery of getting it checked out at a card/games shop, as there's a chance the person you're talking could just rip you off completely.  Starcity might buy the cards as well, not sure.

Starcity generally is very good about buying cards... in person. Pete is more than willing to buy singles and even collections.  That how I disposed of most of my old cards at a release tournament for Kamigawa.  Not sure how they would be trying to sell from long distance, or, you could always go the ebay route...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 02:39:09 PM

The "big" finds, which run for $500-2000, would be:

Black Lotus (Anycraze is listing alpha/beta at +$2000)
any Mox (Emerald, Diamond, etc)
Time Walk
Time Twister
Ancestral Recall

Alpha/Beta staples or very powerful cards will still run pretty high.  Alpha/Beta Wrath of God or Armageddon, etc.

You just made me cry.  I had a BUNCH of these cards from the early 90's and even some unopened packs (Legends? I think) that I gave to a friend when I started med school.  I must have had thousands of these cards, the newest of which were bought in 1996.  I used to really enjoy playing in sealed deck tourneys.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:03:06 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:49:48 PM

Physical cards? Explain.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 07:42:08 AM

I think he took screen shots and glued them on cardboard.

"Me am play gods"
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 07:40:20 PM

You just made me cry.  I had a BUNCH of these cards from the early 90's and even some unopened packs (Legends? I think) that I gave to a friend when I started med school.  I must have had thousands of these cards, the newest of which were bought in 1996.  I used to really enjoy playing in sealed deck tourneys.

Indeed. I had 4 sealed boxes of Arabian Knights that I'd been hauling around because I bought them after one of my tours in Saudi, they had just come out,  and I thought they looked neat. I never never heard of or played Magic, but it sounded neat. But I got bored with the idea before I opened them. So they sat in various closets until my wife and I moved in together. She didn't want them in the house and made me get rid of them in 2000. So I sold them to a local sports card shop for $900 thinking I'd made a good deal. If only I'd known...

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Actual physical MTG cards...  
Jump to: