Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: When DVDs Kill... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When DVDs Kill...  (Read 2132 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: July 27, 2004, 11:45:52 AM

A Case in Alaska is examining the use of DVD viewers in relation to an accident that occured where a driver killed two people by coming across the yellow lines. The driver is charged with second-degree murder in connection with the fact that he was allegedly watching a DVD while driving his car.

Usually, the DVD players have safety devices that do not allow them to operate unless the vehicle is in park, but the driver installed the device himself and thus bypassed those methods. The case itself boils down to a he-said/she-said of the driver denying that he was watching the movie and the prosecution relying on the circumstancial evidence of the installation. The case itself is flimsy, especially for a murder count, but the question it raises is better. Should these players EVER be allowed by law to be in the front seats of cars?

I personally believe they shouldn't. If there is any reason to watch a movie in the car while in park, I see no reason why you can't get out and hop in the back seat. To me, the front mounted viewers represent more of a potential for abuse and serve only the purpose of getting drivers into trouble on the road. Those that want to entertain young ones on long trips can have them in the back with no issues, but the moment they get close to the driver, bad things happen.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 01:00:42 PM

I'm of the opinion they should not be in the front seat, as there is already enough temptation to not pay fucking attention to the road while driving. From doing your makeup to fucking with the radio to blathering on your cellphone (which ought to be illegal BTW), you do not need to see a DVD while you are driving unless your car is being handled by fucking Kit.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 03:58:40 PM

This really seems like a no-brainer to me to be honest. No DvDs in the front seat. I mean, until we have a sci-fi robot car that drives itself we need nothing up there that can distract the driver.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 04:07:27 PM

Seriously.  Do we read books while driving?   If the plaintiff is correct and this guy was distracted by a DVD when driving, the driver's a grade-A dumbass.    (Of course, if there was nobody else in the car, all they really have to prove is that the DVD was playing at all.)

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 04:28:28 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Seriously.  Do we read books while driving?

I've seen it done.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 08:51:36 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
to blathering on your cellphone (which ought to be illegal BTW)

In New York State, it is.  Punishable by a $200 fine.  Whether it is effective at reducing the number of accidents caused by them should be studied.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 01:42:57 AM

Quote from: Alkiera

In New York State, it is.  Punishable by a $200 fine.  Whether it is effective at reducing the number of accidents caused by them should be studied.

--
Alkiera

Ditto the UK.

First fine for this new law occurred in Scotland.  Hooray for the Scottish Dumbasses.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 05:02:11 AM

Quote from: Ironwood
Quote from: Alkiera

--
Alkiera

Ditto the UK.

First fine for this new law occurred in Scotland.  Hooray for the Scottish Dumbasses.

As a transplanted Scott allow me to say: Bugger off my godd man.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: When DVDs Kill...  
Jump to: