Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Heroes (SPOILERS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes (SPOILERS)  (Read 209488 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 04:28:00 PM

One possibilty I've pondered is that G-Man may have done something to help awaken Cops telepathy. He went from barely picking up thoughts to being full fledged Jean Grey "Oh my God! I'm being assaulted by the voices!"

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 07:15:28 PM

No cop this week. Yarg!

Claire seems to be catching on, and whoever said ms. pixie-face was an agent sure called it.

Didn't have quite the 'oh, damit!' ending of the last few weeks, but the preview makes next week look promising.  I wonder how Dad's going to explain having to choke mom through her chest.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 07:30:07 PM

I was also disappointed they didn't show the cop at all.  So far I kind of like this show.  I just hope it doesn't end up like Lost where they write the episode the night before it airs.  It always leaves me befuddled.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 07:30:37 PM

Night before it airs? What are you talking about? I thought Lost was live and they wrote parts during commercials.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 07:33:16 PM

This last episode seemed like it devoted a lot to Niki (and I still don't know much about her). Didn't say a whole lot outside that.

[edit]

Or maybe I should just say that it seems like the pace of the show has changed. Maybe because it has finally moved past the character intro stage.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:40:17 PM by Stray »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 04:32:17 AM

whoever said ms. pixie-face was an agent sure called it.

I was interested that she referred to Isaac generically as "what do you want me to do with the pre-cog?". As if subjects with precognition are a familiar category to her, suggesting the abilities may not be one-of-a-kind (or perhaps they've talked about Isaac so often that he's simply become "the pre-cog" to them).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:34:12 AM by Tale »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 05:39:49 AM

This last episode seemed like it devoted a lot to Niki (and I still don't know much about her). Didn't say a whole lot outside that.

Well, we know that her alter ego is a sociopathic mass murderer with a body count much higher than Syler's so far.

Over and out.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 11:45:43 AM

I have trouble trying to figure out how Niki is going to fit in with the "Superheros" theme. Is she going to be a badguy? Is she going to merge with her other self? She just doesnt fit to me.

I want to see more of the Hero style stuff, like Peter and Hiro. And less of Niki looking confused and the Cop trying to save his marrage. I think that kind of stuff can come a bit later, but for now they need to develope their "Main" heros more. I still really like the show, but I figured out what was bugging me about it.

Heroes feels like it is more of a mini series, or a long movie cut in to chunks (Rome), than a episodic tv show ala Smallville. But you can tell the producers or editors decided they wanted each show to have a mini story arch. The only problem is, the mini archs dont work as well as the overall arch of the series, so a lot of times it leaves you feeling unfulfilled at the end of an episode. They need to stop having a begining middle and edning to each show, and just run with the overall series arch. I think that would make it a better more enjoyable show overall.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #43 on: October 31, 2006, 11:57:34 AM

It's on episode 6. 

Gyah.  Unless it's a 10 show run, they're doing well. I'm pretty glad they had less emo-Pete this time.  Fucker was annoying as hell on Gilmore Girls. As much as I haven't liked the whole Niki/ikiN story-line, I found this last one to be pretty enjoyable.

Long-story arc shows are pretty much all like this.  You have your main theme/plot/baddie for the season but each show can stand on its own merits.  It's still very early on, but I like the tightness of this show already.  Not too much useless meandering.

-Rasix
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #44 on: October 31, 2006, 06:26:38 PM

When I watched the first four episodes back-to-back it was great. Watching individual episodes since is too small a taste - I'll have to go cold turkey and binge again in December or something :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:21 PM

When I watched the first four episodes back-to-back it was great. Watching individual episodes since is too small a taste - I'll have to go cold turkey and binge again in December or something :)

Yeah, that's the downside to the series. It just fits together so well as mini story arcs as opposed to serialized episodes. In that respect, it's very much like the way comics are written now, where one issue feels incomplete but works out well in 6-issue arcs.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #46 on: October 31, 2006, 09:10:54 PM

I did that with Eureka and liked it.  But then it disappeared.  It seems whenever I start liking some show, it goes POOF!  It makes me nervous to say how much I like Dexter. 

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 04:36:42 AM

I love this show so far.  But ya, when I watched 2 ep's back to back, it was supergreat, and now, 1 by 1, it's a bit slow.  But I don't want to miss out on an episode and someone at work come up and ruin it for me.

I feel they're setting up Nikki for one of 2 outcomes (they talked about it being one choice and all that).  Either Good Nikki fights her way for control of her alterego and thereby gets superstrength (which I think is the superpower, not the twin thing, that's just psychosomatic), or Evil Nikki wtfpwns Good Nikki into some sort of bitch child who only comes out when that's most beneficial (primal fear!).

DL is a good guy, he might end up being the check for Nikki's darker side too, since finesse > str in this case.

I agree, I want more of Hiro, that guy takes the show everytime he's on.  All in all, I'm still really enjoying the whole "what would you do if you could freeze time" ideas.  In so far as character intro goes, I'm afraid if we get too entrenched in the story, introducing new characters will come a little harder (that new french guy on Lost, wtf is up with that, we don't care!).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 08:32:46 AM

I did that with Eureka and liked it.  But then it disappeared.  It seems whenever I start liking some show, it goes POOF!  It makes me nervous to say how much I like Dexter. 

Don't worry, Eureka's coming back in 2007. It's already renewed, and was apparently Sci-Fi's top-rated original show.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 09:53:56 AM

Oh good.  You're the one who told me about it in the first place, I think, and I was really enjoying it. 

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 09:07:17 AM

Eureaka Kind of snuck up on me, but I'm liking the alternate seasons that Sci Fi / USA do. It's a great filler for those rerun periods on broadacast networks.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 07:10:28 PM

I so want Micha's power.  Touch the tech, fix the tech. Awesome. Looks like we have our explaination about the nuke as well.

However, is anyone else starting to see the coincidental links between the Heroes as being stretched just a little thin?  They had the perfect vehicle in the Comic book, but they seem too caught-up with the "oh oh oh, will the find out who each other are?!?!!" melodrama.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006, 08:23:21 AM

I think they are going to explain the coincidental meetings of all the players as part of the "magnetic attraction" effect, i.e. like attracts like. These guys are pulling so much energy that they are naturally drawn together.

As for the nuke, I'm thinking that it isn't the distraught husband, it's Syler gaining the distraught husband's powers by killing him and eating his brain. I don't think G-Man is a bad guy with nefarious plots, I just think he's a spook trying to keep a lid on the whole powers thing. The more I watch, the more I like Ali Larter's character Nikki. I think she's just a multiple personality where the Jessica personality has the powers of super-strength and super badassitude.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: November 07, 2006, 09:44:41 AM

See, I figured it was a multiple personality thing, too, but Nikki was the dominant.  She's had a shitty life and is ultra-passive, so Jessica is her way of dealing with not only getting walked all over, but the freakish strength she's found out she has.

I agree on the Sylar going nuclear thing, rather than the husband.   I still have trouble with the whole 'magnetic attraction' explaination.  Seems a little too far-flung as it starts to tread on "destiny" grounds rather than evolution, which is what all the voiceovers are pushing.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #54 on: November 07, 2006, 09:55:06 AM

They really need to stop spending so much time on meaningless or trivial side plots and work more on the major plot line. Honestly, Nikki is my leave favorite character and they probably have devoted 40% of the entire series to her. Its starting to get frustrating.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: November 07, 2006, 09:58:36 AM

See, I figured it was a multiple personality thing, too, but Nikki was the dominant.  She's had a shitty life and is ultra-passive, so Jessica is her way of dealing with not only getting walked all over, but the freakish strength she's found out she has.

Yes, Nikki is the dominant, she's just fragile. Jessica is the protection mechanism.

I agree on the Sylar going nuclear thing, rather than the husband.   I still have trouble with the whole 'magnetic attraction' explaination.  Seems a little too far-flung as it starts to tread on "destiny" grounds rather than evolution, which is what all the voiceovers are pushing.

The voiceovers are walking a line, asking the question is it destiny or evolution, but falling on the science portion of the explanation. But you have to remember that all the voiceovers are Mohinder, who doesn't buy into the destiny part anyway. Magnetic attraction isn't really about destiny so much as it is forces in the universe with such a srtong pull that sooner or later they come across each other forcefully.

Did anyone notice the tattoo that was forming on the cop right before he punched his friend? Was that just the beginning of the little S thing Nikki has, or did it look like a different symbol?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #56 on: November 07, 2006, 10:07:46 AM

Did anyone notice the tattoo that was forming on the cop right before he punched his friend? Was that just the beginning of the little S thing Nikki has, or did it look like a different symbol?

It looked like a different symbol and the radioactive man had it also. My friend thinks its going to be a different symbol for the good guys and the bad guys. Cause Nikki's symbol only shows up when she is evil nikki (Jennifer?).
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 07, 2006, 10:20:31 AM

Great, great show...Have loved every minute of it...

Couple thoughts...

Could the G-man and DL (nikki's husband) be twins/brothers (edit)?

Something bothers me about the cremation thing...How can we actually be sure that the cremated remains are actually the guy that was doing all the research (supposedly a good guy)?  Cant remember the dead Indian guys name, and I never saw the first episode.  What IF the Indian guy that is supposedly dead/cremated is Syler?

Seems a little cliche-ish, but...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:22:55 AM by SnakeCharmer »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: November 07, 2006, 10:22:18 AM

We've already heard Syler's voice on the answering machine and it's not Mohinder's dad (Dr. Suresh).

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 07, 2006, 10:25:12 AM

We've already heard Syler's voice on the answering machine and it's not Mohinder's dad (Dr. Suresh).

forgot about that...

and thanks for the names...couldn't remember them...

just to throw this out there:  We've got people who can fly, phase through objects, bend space/time, 110 lb girl that can toss a 200 lb guy like a ragdoll....Someone having the ability to disguise their voice (or morph their body to something/someone else) wouldn't be too far of a stretch, no?

edit: or is it too convenient?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:27:32 AM by SnakeCharmer »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #60 on: November 07, 2006, 10:43:43 AM

As for the nuke, I'm thinking that it isn't the distraught husband, it's Syler gaining the distraught husband's powers by killing him and eating his brain.

What about Peter? He could also end up with the nuke powers and he's potentially a vulnerable/emotional character too. He could end up accidentally becoming a risk while trying to "save the world", depending on the actions of his brother, his girlfriend, g-man, etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:45:52 AM by Tale »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 07, 2006, 10:54:06 AM

Nathan's wife is the hawtness, wheelchair or not.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: November 07, 2006, 11:24:16 AM

I just thought of something. Syler... he's the dark side of Peter. I don't mean he's Peter with Nikki syndrome, I mean he's the batshit crazy equivalent to Peter. I think all the main character heroes we have seen so far are going to have dark side equivalents who will choose the darker paths, and Syler is the dark version of Peter.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 07, 2006, 11:49:21 AM

Peter with the whole group around him is THE superhero. Haemish is right about  Sylar being the anti peter. The difference would be, that Peter matches Sylar when the group is together, but the group could also function at the same time. Working together, the group is much greater than the sum of its parts.

It also explains the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" concept. Peter, for all of his powers when the group is together, could still be picked off by a skilled opponent, like Sylar. Give him the indestructible regeneration quality of Cheerleader girl, and he's a walking  "I win" button.

I don't think there will be evil counterparts to the heroes, or at least living ones. I think Sylar consumes all the power he can, good or evil. Evil and teamwork don't exactly  got together, but evil and domination of one man's extension of will and power sounds entirely plausible.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:55:43 AM by sigil »
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 07, 2006, 12:35:25 PM

I'd just like to repeat that they are "Lost-ing" the fuck out of this show.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 07, 2006, 10:53:08 PM

Each episode is fun. So whats your hurry? There is no mystical endgame to reach here.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #66 on: November 07, 2006, 11:19:35 PM

Peter with the whole group around him is THE superhero. Haemish is right about  Sylar being the anti peter. The difference would be, that Peter matches Sylar when the group is together, but the group could also function at the same time. Working together, the group is much greater than the sum of its parts.

It also explains the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" concept. Peter, for all of his powers when the group is together, could still be picked off by a skilled opponent, like Sylar. Give him the indestructible regeneration quality of Cheerleader girl, and he's a walking  "I win" button.

I don't think there will be evil counterparts to the heroes, or at least living ones. I think Sylar consumes all the power he can, good or evil. Evil and teamwork don't exactly  got together, but evil and domination of one man's extension of will and power sounds entirely plausible.

Great post. I think you're right. And it's all so cool.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #67 on: November 08, 2006, 04:55:10 AM

I'd just like to repeat that they are "Lost-ing" the fuck out of this show.
How so? It still makes sense. Right there they have Lost beat.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #68 on: November 08, 2006, 05:22:05 AM

My theory is there is some grand conspiracy involving DNA injections from the 40's.  That symbol that keeps showing up screams experiment. I agree G-Man is not evil, but he's definitely involved what with Shady Memory Wipe Man on his shoulder whenever he needs him.

As for why they all keep running into each other, I"m going to chock it up to evolution.  If these genetic mutations are truly evolution, then they should inspire some sort of community amongst those that are different.  Just like early humans congregating to each other for safety.  Just like religion manifesting itself to form stronger bonds amongst communities.

Syler eats brains.  That's an awesome evil power by itself.  He eats brains!  If he can gain powers by consuming other people, does this mean that special people can transfer their powers simply through blood, or is Syler's power that he can gain other peoples powers by consuming them?

I love me some Hiro.  Favorite character so far. I just hope they don't go and fuck it up by doing too much time-travel stuff.  Teleporting I don't mind.  Small breaks in time I don't mind.  But travelling into the past hasn't gone well for any single piece of fiction to my memory.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: November 08, 2006, 09:53:49 AM

But travelling into the past hasn't gone well for any single piece of fiction to my memory.

Worked out pretty well in that short story where the guy fathered and gave birth to himself.  But yeah, other than that you're right.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Heroes (SPOILERS)  
Jump to: