Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Flying with Possible Terrorists? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flying with Possible Terrorists?  (Read 10942 times)
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #35 on: July 26, 2004, 05:12:40 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Most importantly, though, I can't see how putting 14 men on 1 flight would be an efficient use of resources. I mean it took 3-5 men for the 9/11 flights. If the operation is a suicide bombing, that's 14 agents/resources removed from future operations by a successful operation. And it's only 1 plane. Wouldn't it be more efficient to use 3 teams on 3 separate planes?

Yeah, but then if these Terrorists were at all smart they'd know that creating fear in the populace just makes the current regime stronger, not weaker.   Conservatives are an excellent choice when the best your average voter can do is curl up into a fetal position asking, "oh god why?!"

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: July 27, 2004, 08:06:42 AM

Terrorists WANT our government to freak the fuck out and start cracking down on the populace. They WANT that kind of fascistic, oppressive thinking to become the norm, because that means our democracy has been weakened. If the US (or any enemy of terrorists who wish to create oppressive regimes like Al-Qaeda) gives up on its democratic ideals, that's a victory because they can point at it and go "Allah did not bless their democracy, because it did not follow the tenets of Allah's law. Now put your burkah on, bitch."

In short, they WANT silly little bitches like this to freak out every time they see an Arab man, because of the way they will react. Every time they "oppress" or hassle another innocent Arab man, that's one more potential convert or at least a sympathizer. Terrorism is a weapon in the battle for the hearts and minds. Destrcution is the tool, fear is the goal.

I'd say we're about 50-50 right now.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #37 on: July 27, 2004, 08:27:49 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich

Racial profiling makes logical sense, but in application it causes more terrorism than it prevents.    Despite what one's ego might suggest, sadly fascism has time and time again proven failed experiment versus the human spirit.   Maybe if we had chips in the back of neck, Syndicate style, but who would like to volunteer for first fittings?

These people would:

Clubbers in Spain are choosing to receive a microchip implant instead of carrying a membership card. It is the latest and perhaps the most unlikely of uses for implantable radio frequency ID chips.

Good times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38 on: July 27, 2004, 08:57:31 AM

That kind of thing will become much more prevalent, but it'll take a while for the real privacy paranoids to accept that the chip won't be used to spy on their closet furry games.

Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 27, 2004, 09:33:29 AM

After a handful of squadrons in which all planes were piloted by asian men, decimated our Pacific Navy, we instituted racial profiling by warehousing all our Japanese (and Chinese!) Americans into military bases.

Fear racial profiling. Its bad medicine whose side-effects are twice as deadly as the illness they promise to cure.

unbannable
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #40 on: July 27, 2004, 09:38:49 AM

That kind of thing will become much more prevalent, but it'll take a while for the real privacy paranoids to accept that the chip won't be used to spy on their closet furry games.

You mean these people?

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 27, 2004, 10:35:22 AM

I'd be more worried about getting signed up for the Pottery Barn catalog by just walking by the store.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: July 27, 2004, 01:03:13 PM

Quote from: Alkiera

You mean these people?

Holy Fuck. Yeah, those people.

1. With today's bar code technology, every can of Coke has the same UPC or bar code number as every other can (a can of Coke in Toronto has the same number as a can of Coke in Topeka). With RFID, each individual can of Coke would have a unique ID number which could be linked to the person buying it when they scan a credit card or a frequent shopper card (i.e., an "item registration system").

2. Unlike a bar code, these chips can be read from a distance, right through your clothes, wallet, backpack or purse -- without your knowledge or consent -- by anybody with the right reader device. In a way, it gives strangers x-ray vision powers to spy on you, to identify both you and the things you're wearing and carrying.

3. Unlike the bar code, RFID could be bad for your health. RFID supporters envision a world where RFID reader devices are everywhere - in stores, in floors, in doorways, on airplanes -- even in the refrigerators and medicine cabinets of our own homes. In such a world, we and our children would be continually bombarded with electromagnetic energy. Researchers do not know the long-term health effects of chronic exposure to the energy emitted by these reader devices.

Don't they know you can defeat these electromagnetic rays with tinfoil?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 27, 2004, 04:38:48 PM

1.  When you buy a can of coke at the grocery store and pay for it with any method other than cash you could already be tracked as a 'coke drinker'.  Why aren't you?  NO ONE CARES.

2.  Unlike just looking at you and reading the Levi label on your jeans?  Or the Nike swoosh on your shoes?

3.  Radio waves are all around you already every minute of every day.  You can test this at home by turning on your radio.

All that said I have some issues with RFID but more along the lines of being bombarded with advertising that 'thinks' it knows what you want.

edit: I love this one:

Gillette is leading the pack, and recently placed an order for up to 500 million RFID tags from a company called "Alien Technology" (we kid you not).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 28, 2004, 06:20:51 AM

They're probably overreacting, but if someone had told me ten years ago that people would be buying cellular phones as fashion accessories I'd have laughed at them too.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 28, 2004, 07:18:46 AM

I'm not bothered by the fact that they're overreacting, it bothers me that they are overreacting to trivialities.

Come up with a real issue with RFID and then blow up about it.  But screaming about radio waves?  Gimmie a break.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #46 on: July 28, 2004, 08:49:08 AM

http://thecrowshow.com/swf/squoosh.htm

How many white people do you see in this game? Just sayin'.

Racial profiling is morally objectionable, but has some measure of practicality if used intelligently....just like most forms of profiling.

Yes, this lady is probably a kook, but 14 Sysrians with instrument cases is a little odd....if nothing else, who the fuck has ever heard of a 14 piece Syrian band with enough notoriety to land a gig in the US? I'd be a little antsy if each of those same 14 people started going into the same restroom one right after the other. The McDonalds bag and the little red book are certainly no more cause for suspicion than what she had already seen.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 28, 2004, 12:16:29 PM

I welcome RFID with wide open arms.  When I can wheel my cart up to the checkout line, have it display all the items in the cart, the unit prices, and the total without me having to take anything out of my cart, my life has just gotten a hell of a lot better.

Taking groceries off the shelf, into the cart, out of the cart, across the register, into bags, back into cart, out of cart, into car, out of car into house, off the floor/counter into fridge/cabinets is just fucking annoying.  Removing a few of those steps along the way would be wonderful.  As far as bags, I imagine there would be bag dispensers around the store and you would bag them as you take them off the shelf.

At the local wallmart and a few other stores I see they have the help yourself checkout lines where you scan your own stuff... But it is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, because each fucking station STILL has a clerk watching you like you are about to steal some cans of soup.  What is the point anyway?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: July 28, 2004, 12:37:44 PM

When in Connecticut last week, I saw the self-checkout lines at Stop-n-Shop, and went through one. They didn't have a clerk for every line, but they did have a roaming clerk you could ask for help. The asking for help part took up enough time (especially on produce items) that it seemed not much labor cost or time was saved. For pre-packaged items, though, I imagine it's a great deal faster.

WayAbvPar

Reply #49 on: July 28, 2004, 12:41:38 PM

I *heart* the self-checkout stations. I do it nearly every day at lunch at QFC- they have 4 stations, with 1 clerk in between to monitor them. It works like a charm, and I don't have to make small talk with someone while we are waiting on the debit card approval.

I am with Alluvian- bring the RFID on! It would be nice to have a running total on my shopping cart, for instance.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #50 on: July 28, 2004, 12:42:43 PM

Well, you could get RFID chips in every item, and a scanner on every entrance/exit in the building....plus an RFID chip implanted in the body that would deduct the funds from your bank account. There would need to be measures to prevent people from walking out with items they couldn't afford, or applying any overage against a singular personal line of credit.

Of course, such a scenario would be remarkably close to the "mark of the beast" as foretold in the Bible....particularly as it would dictate who is able to participate in commerce. My guess is that a big chunk of religious folks will fight tooth and nail against such a system for that very reason.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: July 28, 2004, 12:53:51 PM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
My guess is that a big chunk of religious folks will fight tooth and nail against such a system for that very reason.

Then I can walk around these stuck-up prigs displaying my RFID chip mark on my arm saying "I'm THE DEVIL! THE DEVIL!!! LAJOJa3#r5#RUE"

Now that's fun you can't buy.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 28, 2004, 01:16:35 PM

Isn't the Mark of the Beast supposed to be on the forehead or something?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #53 on: July 28, 2004, 01:41:01 PM

Quote from: Revelation 14:9-10
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 28, 2004, 01:49:28 PM

Ah, career chips.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 29, 2004, 08:01:34 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
Well, you could get RFID chips in every item, and a scanner on every entrance/exit in the building....plus an RFID chip implanted in the body that would deduct the funds from your bank account. There would need to be measures to prevent people from walking out with items they couldn't afford, or applying any overage against a singular personal line of credit.

Of course, such a scenario would be remarkably close to the "mark of the beast" as foretold in the Bible....particularly as it would dictate who is able to participate in commerce. My guess is that a big chunk of religious folks will fight tooth and nail against such a system for that very reason.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............

I am not thinking about implanted RFID chips at this point.  But lines like the current self checkout lines.  You pull your cart up to a terminal, it scans your cart, lists all the items so you can see if there is a mistake or a pricecheck problem, then you insert your credit/debit card and pay like you nomally do.  No new problems manifesting, no new banking/credit infrastructure required.

Implanting things like RFID chips is abit too much at this time for society I think, and not really needed or productive either.

I will stick with the only implanted RFID chips being the ones in our pets that have our address information for the pound to contact us if they ever get lost.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #56 on: July 29, 2004, 04:03:50 PM

Course', the chips in Syndicate did more than just mark people for easy tracking.   They were installed in the back of the next and actually overrode their very mind.   They were combination addictive drug (as the chips could change people's perceptions to make them think life is great) and control device (capable of turning people into meat puppets for the Syndicate bosses to do their dirty work).

One hopes that this vision remains firmly mired in Science Fiction.  However, it would be a way in which fascism could be successful considering the human spirit to rebel (by destroying that spirit entirely).

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Flying with Possible Terrorists?  
Jump to: