Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gygax Interview from Game Banshee. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gygax Interview from Game Banshee.  (Read 2160 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: July 22, 2004, 09:14:47 PM

He looks pretty healthy now, so I've taken him off my dead pool.  Hopefully, I've not made a mistake.  I'm still not convinced, however, that Lejendary Adventure will ever be completed.

Anyway, here you go:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/garygygax1.php

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 08:31:31 AM

I blame Gygax for level based MMOGs.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 08:48:07 AM

I hope he is healthy enough to keep working soon. FWIW, I like the sound of LA (at least the PnP version). Skills > classes every time, and I like % skill checks better than D20.

I blame Gygax for level based MMOGs.

While most level-based games are based somewhat on D&D, I don't think you can hang that on Gygax. He isn't the unoriginal bastard who can't conceive of any other advancement scheme, after all.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Anonymous

Email
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 12:05:06 PM

I don't think developers are incapable of coming up with a different advancement scheme, I think there is a difficult time selling players on different advancement schemes.

For that, I blame Gygax.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 11:05:14 AM

Quote from: Soulflame
I don't think developers are incapable of coming up with a different advancement scheme, I think there is a difficult time selling players on different advancement schemes.

But D&D, Rolemaster and the Palladium systems are relatively unique in that respect: Most newer PnP RPGs have no levels, but are skillbased (the Chaosium system) or point-based (most others). Surely there must be some way to get a company to see the error in their ways and implement a MMORPG with the GURPS (max IQ and DX for teh win!) or Champions/Hero (killing attacks in PvP only) rulesets?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Vespasian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 08:31:41 PM

While the AD&D ruleset does seem like the groundwork for all the level based MMOG crap today, it worked well in that system.  Campaigns work fine when you have a good DM/GM to play God and keep people from bending rules stupid little rules and gray areas or doing things that drag the game down.  The downfall of MMOG's is that you have to rely on hard code to do that, which players always find a way to exploit legally to their own advantage.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 10:03:34 PM

Quote from: AOFanboi
Surely there must be some way to get a company to see the error in their ways and implement a MMORPG with the GURPS (max IQ and DX for teh win!) or Champions/Hero (killing attacks in PvP only) rulesets?

To me, CoH feels a lot like Hero, with a level system tacked on.  They hide most of the numbers, but for some reason, the system feels like Hero... Unfortunately, it's not quite close enough.  We really need to ditch levels, and even the 'lotsa levels' systems we call 'skill-based', like UO and SWG.  IMHO, a points-based system, with some templates pre-made for beginners, a-la AC, are the way to go.  Maximum flexibility, and if you go with a fairly well pre-balanced system like Hero seems to be, you don't get the wild 'build X is too powerful!!!11!' issues from the peanut gallery.

In terms of CoH, give a starting character a buncha points, and let them choose their starting powers from that.  Keep powers grouped as they are, with later powers being semi-dependant on some earlier ones, like the side pools are.  Make even the side pools available at creation, and have characters start with a powerlist equivilent to a current level 6 or 8.  Re-build all the content with that as a baseline, and reward characters with points for certain actions, (missions, saving people on street, etc... but not just kills, except in certain areas/cases), let them spend points to buy powers later in the pools they have.  I think this could work, but apparently it's too risky from either a dev or invester point of view.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gygax Interview from Game Banshee.  
Jump to: