Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:16:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: BF2142 has Spyware? /dropkick 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BF2142 has Spyware? /dropkick  (Read 35855 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 23, 2006, 08:22:54 AM

How are the other maps?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #106 on: October 23, 2006, 08:40:10 AM

Generally, when I go with friends, we burn ad time by talking. And heck, I actually like some of the trailers for upcoming movies, because I don't pay too much attention to movies.

The trailers are not the ads that bother me. Trailers are a part of the movie-going experience I look forward to, even though they are ads for other movies. It's the HEY BUY COKE! and retreads of TV commercials that piss me off. It's one reason I only pay matinee price for movies. I figure what revenue they lose from my refusing to pay the $8 price tag for movies gets made up for with all the shit shit shitty ads I get shoved down my gullet.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #107 on: October 23, 2006, 12:47:37 PM

And theater ads don't bug me, because I stopped going to the theater years ago. But product placement that's glaringly obvious bothers the hell out of me. I start yelling "HOLY SHIT I SUDDENLY HAVE AN OVERWHELMING URGE FOR A COKE!" and doing a monkey dance. So it's probably good I don't go to the movie theater anymore.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 23, 2006, 01:14:10 PM

How are the other maps?

I don't know - do you know anyone that has the game? I don't know about you, but for some reason I am feeling weak today and I may just buy it...

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:02 PM

Buying BF-Adds-in-Space game will mean all games will have adds in the future. Show a backbone.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: October 23, 2006, 01:36:36 PM

If that was true all games would have pacman in them today.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #111 on: October 23, 2006, 01:58:12 PM

Buying BF-Adds-in-Space game will mean all games will have adds in the future. Show a backbone.

That's cute. Here's a hint. All games by "major" publishers are going to have them in the future ANYWAY. If it makes you feel better not buying from EA, and buying from EA always makes me feel bad even when there's no other choices for the type of game I want (FIFA 07 and Wii Madden), then don't buy it. But boycotting BF2142 won't change it, because there will be enough people who don't give a shit to make up for you.

schild
Administrator

Reply #112 on: October 23, 2006, 02:02:36 PM

That's cute. Here's a hint. All games by "major" publishers are going to have them in the future ANYWAY.

Nah, couldn't be more wrong.

All it's going to take is for one game that was supposed to be huge to monumentally flop. It will be a lot easier to take the advertisers out of the gaming arena than it will to keep the companies from allowing folks to put ads in their games. Though, it could work out the latter way. UBISoft isn't using Starforce anymore...

On another note, Splinter Cell does advertisements goddamn delicately. It has real phones in the game, real office equipment (some, here and there). Real billboards from real places. It's exactly how it should be. I can honestly say, not that I've seen it with ads - I'm glad they're there. It's not going to change my shopping choicesa and result in a shopping cart full of Nivea for Men merchandise, but it does ADD to the immersion.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: October 23, 2006, 02:10:05 PM

All the major publishers WILL have them. They may not be as clumsy and intrusive as the lazy fucks at EA insist on, but they will be there. If gamers are lucky, they'll be subtle like your Splinter Cell example or billboards in racing games, or they'll be annoying but unintrusive to gameplay like the Nvidia "The Way" ads. But they will be there, because it's too big a revenue stream for publishers to ignore. And there are way too many ad execs who are salivating over the captive audiences of video gamers, especially online gamers.

But not buying BF2142? Won't matter, because this is EA. These fuckers eat gamer's dreams for lunch and shit out games. They don't fucking care. It would have to sell 0 copies to matter to them.

Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 23, 2006, 02:17:16 PM

The ads are far and few in between. In fact I haven't actually noticed any in the game though I'm sure they are there. The maps are big enough that you'd have to be pretty close up and most likely purposefully looking for the ad to actually see it.

As for the game itself, it is fun as hell. The whole unlocks and pins/ribbons/medals system is just awesome. It gives your play experience a little more depth than the round-by-round number of kills in every other shooter I've played. Also, your score in each round is not solely determined by kills. You get points for a lot of different thing like defending a silo/capture point, successfully assaulting a point, reparing vehicles (you have to do quite a it of reparing to get a point though), following orders (IE killing people near where you commander has told you to assault), etc. You also do get points for kills and like half a point (not sure) for kill assists. At the end of the round your points are tallied up, along with any extra points for pins/ribbons/medals won during the round and it's added to your Career advancement, which is sort of like levelling in a MMO.

All in all I'm having a lot of fun. I do have to agree with someone earlier who mentioned the aiming system for guns which I'm not too fond of. It feels way too random. I've played CS way more than other shooters and I much prefer the feel of it. That said, I have been slowly adjusting to it and increasing my accuracy some.

Also just to assuage any fanboy concerns, I hate EA. I'm judging the game based on it's merits. I used to play Earth and Beyond and EA destroyed my dreams, so I'm none too fond of them. But I'm not about to pass up a good game, especially in my time of need where nothing else is appealing to me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:19:56 PM by Trouble »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #115 on: October 23, 2006, 02:24:59 PM

The ads are far and few in between. In fact I haven't actually noticed any in the game though I'm sure they are there.
No, they're not in yet, that's why you haven't noticed them.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 23, 2006, 02:27:11 PM

I suppose that would be why I haven't seen any then. Here's hoping it's not too bad, or that the negative publicity dissuades them.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #117 on: October 23, 2006, 02:38:21 PM

I guess they are hacking into the game and have found a way to place their own ads on the billboards.  This image is what would happen if McDonald's started advertising.  In other games these could also be animated and have sound, could happen in bf2142 too.  I imagine McDonald's might be around in 2142 though, what would piss me off are movie advertisements in my future sim.

Really the main reason I'm not playing 2142 is because bf2 is better, the only tempting thing is all the new maps.
WayAbvPar

Reply #118 on: October 23, 2006, 02:39:58 PM

The advancement system DOES intrigue me. Wish they could retro-fit it to BF2. I have 14k points before I can get the last 2 unlocks, and i am pretty sure I left 2 of the best guns in the game (SCAR-L and L9A31 or whatever the sniper rifle is) for last. Bugger.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
littledude
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: October 23, 2006, 02:45:18 PM

I am a BF/EA/DICE whore I am :D

I went and pre-ordered from EB and got an unlock right after install along with reserving my name with the veterans status (basically reserves a name you want to use, nuthing special), there is another gun skin that you could get by buying the pre-order from best buy I think, but I would rather have an unlock than a gun skin.  linkage: http://battlefield.ea.com/battlefield/bf2142/landing.aspx?lang=us

The game is fun for me, I enjoy FPS more than any other genre of games, and team based games are even more my cup of tea.  Right now, they have two types of games with BF 2142: Conquest and Titan.  Conquest is pretty much capture and hold or capture the flag.  Titan games involve having two big motherships in the air and your goal is to blow it up.  All the standard BF system is there with some improvements, the squad functions seems less clunky, the voice over internet seems a little better, and the rewards system is a lot nicer.  They did reduce the classes to 4, made air power easier to fly, made AA wicked :D , and seemed to strive for a balance between vehicles, air craft, and grunts.  As far as the four classes, I'm mainly played support so I can't give a good feel on the rest of the classes.

I don't notice the adds, seems to be more on the 48 player maps playing titan mode, noticed a lot less on the 64 player maps, but that may just because those maps are bigger.

About the only bitch I have is that the support class seems a bit wimpy, the unlock heavy machine gun doesn't have enough umph on it, the crappy shot pattern with it means that I'm missing a shit load with it (even doing the wiggle the site all over the place), and I've noticed most of us use the standard support gun instead of the heavy or the unlock of the heavy shot gun (not bad, but too slow to reload and not enough damage again).  I notice a ton of assult, engineer, and recon players, and I've goofed around with the standard assult weapon which seems a bit better on shot placement and power.

I'm enjoying the game, oh BTW, the Australian version doesn't have the dynamic adds because of some law that they have... http://en.wiped.org/wiki/Battlefield_2142  Maybe the US ought to adopt the law that they have.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: October 23, 2006, 03:27:40 PM

But not buying BF2142? Won't matter, because this is EA. These fuckers eat gamer's dreams for lunch and shit out games. They don't fucking care. It would have to sell 0 copies to matter to them.

Wrong, if putting intrusive adds into game decreases sales its no longer simple matter of increasing revenu and in a way will be a check on whole thing. Not buying games with adds might not completely stop all adds in the future title but it WILL put checks in place. So if BF5 has ‘punch the monkey’ adds, as opposed to subtle and thematically appropriate adds we have fucks like you that went and bought BF2142 to thank for it.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 23, 2006, 03:32:02 PM

I am a BF/EA/DICE employee that paid to post PR BS.

Fixed it for you.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: October 24, 2006, 07:42:57 AM

Since they don't have the ads turned on yet, I justified my purchase that I could later complain to the FTC.

Not sure I like the unlock system. (Have to unlock 4 minor items to get to each weapon upgrade). Granted some of the unlocks along the way are nice. (claymore is still an instakill).

I really like the pin system (Think merit badges). You do something like get 5 kills in a row and you get 10 extra points, everything is worth points. Kill streaks, defense, it's great. I'm just not sure there is a class I will "fit".

I'm going to make a new character tonight to see how much I like stealth.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 24, 2006, 09:50:00 AM

Claymore should maim. Then you could limp around for a while. Screams would be a nice ambient touch.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 24, 2006, 09:51:02 AM

It's not about them. If more ads go into games, I play less games. That's ok, too. I've got a lot of songs to learn.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 24, 2006, 11:12:30 AM

Wow, yay for Australia and not putting up with that kind of bullshit.  Anyone getting the game should get it imported from there; I think it might send a bit of a message if 90% of the game's sales came from Australia...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #126 on: October 24, 2006, 11:28:08 AM

Wrong, if putting intrusive adds into game decreases sales its no longer simple matter of increasing revenu and in a way will be a check on whole thing. Not buying games with adds might not completely stop all adds in the future title but it WILL put checks in place. So if BF5 has ‘punch the monkey’ adds, as opposed to subtle and thematically appropriate adds we have fucks like you that went and bought BF2142 to thank for it.

Hate to tell you this, but I'm not buying BF2142. Or BF2 or BF1942. I have yet to buy a DICE game because on release, they are all buggy in ways they shouldn't be, and by the time they get unbuggy, most of the world has moved on and I'm not bothered to buy them. The closest I've ever gotten was playing the BF2 demo. I wasn't planning on buying it before the ads thing, I'm not planning on buying it now.

What I am telling you is that you are an insignificant microbe to EA. They give not a fuck about you, or any of the fuckers who won't buy the game because of ads. Unless there are ABSOLUTELY ZERO, NIL, THE NULL SET sales of the game, it won't dissuade EA, because they don't give a fuck about making good games, they give a fuck about making their investors happy and keeping the stock price high.

WayAbvPar

Reply #127 on: October 24, 2006, 12:11:52 PM

You really need to buy BF2 (should be cheap now) and come shoot people in the face with us.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #128 on: October 24, 2006, 12:29:09 PM

BUT TEH ADS!!!! TEH SPYWURE!!!!

I'm been obsessed with FIFA 07 for the X-Box lately, which is worlds better than the World Cup game EA did this summer in every way. Oh, and saving up for a Wii.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 24, 2006, 12:35:29 PM

You should upgrade to the latest Way, getting little pins and points as pavlovian feedback for maiming and being a good soldier make 2142 a better game then BF2.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: October 24, 2006, 12:48:19 PM

I have yet to buy a DICE game because on release, they are all buggy in ways they shouldn't be, and by the time they get unbuggy, most of the world has moved on and I'm not bothered to buy them.
You need to use smacktard philosophy. When 2142 comes out, all the people that were fagging up BF2 special forces are playing that instead. Goddamned people and their 'skill' and 'map knowledge'. Makes it tough for old grandpas like me. Now it should be fun again :)

The world moving on isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's just how I like it, dernit.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 24, 2006, 01:05:10 PM

I have yet to buy a DICE game because on release, they are all buggy in ways they shouldn't be, and by the time they get unbuggy, most of the world has moved on and I'm not bothered to buy them.
You need to use smacktard philosophy. When 2142 comes out, all the people that were fagging up BF2 special forces are playing that instead. Goddamned people and their 'skill' and 'map knowledge'. Makes it tough for old grandpas like me. Now it should be fun again :)

The world moving on isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's just how I like it, dernit.

I have not seen a single bunnyhopping tard in 2142 yet... I think they are all still in Special Forces.

WayAbvPar

Reply #132 on: October 24, 2006, 01:14:52 PM

BUT TEH ADS!!!! TEH SPYWURE!!!!

I'm been obsessed with FIFA 07 for the X-Box lately, which is worlds better than the World Cup game EA did this summer in every way. Oh, and saving up for a Wii.

No ads or spyware in Bf2, n00bler. At least not in game. At least that I have noticed.  rolleyes

I have heard good things about FiFA 07. I am anxiously awaiting WE 10 for my next fix.

You should upgrade to the latest Way, getting little pins and points as pavlovian feedback for maiming and being a good soldier make 2142 a better game then BF2.

NO!

I am getting my last 2 unlocks in BF2 even if I have to play on the last server standing, goddamn it! 13k+ points to go.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #133 on: October 24, 2006, 01:48:42 PM

I tried WE9, played two games and sent it back. I just couldn't get into it, either because I don't have enough knowledge of soccer to know what the fuck I'm doing wrong, or because I've gotten addicted to the EA flash. It didn't help that Liverpool was called Merseyside Red; I mean, they could afford the licenses for the players, but not the clubs?

FIFA 07, though, is really really good. YMMV

WayAbvPar

Reply #134 on: October 24, 2006, 01:50:11 PM

Yeah, the team name thing sucked. The rest of it is fanfuckingtastic, however. So many options, and the actual controls are so complex (but really damned cool when you learn to use them!!).

Write up a FIFA 07 review for me so I can decide if it is worth checking out  evil

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #135 on: October 25, 2006, 08:20:46 AM

Somewhat on-topic: The demo instantly crashes on my system. Apparently, it did not like my "non-standard" drivers.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #136 on: October 25, 2006, 08:42:45 AM

Somewhat on-topic: The demo instantly crashes on my system. Apparently, it did not like my "non-standard" drivers.

you mean Omega's?  fug
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #137 on: October 25, 2006, 09:18:48 AM

Correct sir. The .exe crashed because it could not find a very particular DX file or something. Gogo EA and telling me how to run my own damn system.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #138 on: October 25, 2006, 09:26:39 AM

There was some notes in the beta download that said you had best have the very very latest DX9, which has the .dll file required. Try that before uninstalling the omega drivers.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
kidder
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 25, 2006, 09:31:30 AM

Two of my buddies had the same problem.  DX 9.0c is needed I believe.

Kidder
-I read forums.  Dur!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: BF2142 has Spyware? /dropkick  
Jump to: