Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:43:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: BF2142 has Spyware? /dropkick 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BF2142 has Spyware? /dropkick  (Read 35859 times)
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 17, 2006, 10:02:33 PM

Well said, schild.

Another option: Develop a BF2 mod that's set in the futher, with frickin' laser beams and mechs. The key would be for it to be just different enough from BF2142 that EA couldn't stamp it out.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 07:02:32 AM

Quake Wars is coming soon, ID will hopefully crush EA/DICE.  Short video (I don't think the "coming in 2006" is still true).
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 08:07:24 AM

Even though EA has been doing some stuff recently that I didn't like, I admittedly haven't let that stop me from buying an EA game that was a decent one. This changes that, I'll vote with my wallet this time. And this was a title I was on the fence with, then tried the demo and had enough fun with it that I decided I was going to buy it. I'm just amazed that people won't find this out until after they have broken the seal on the box. Ah well, another reason I don't preorder games nowadays.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 08:08:30 AM

Quake Wars is coming soon, ID will hopefully crush EA/DICE.  Short video (I don't think the "coming in 2006" is still true).

This looks good, I hope they don't fag out and make it PS3 or Xbox360 title.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:30 AM

I never really liked the controls of the BF games...Quake/UT is much more my style.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 10:34:34 AM

Huh?

Every PC FPS is basically the same. WASD. 1-10 weapon cycling. Spacebar Jumping.
Strazos

Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 10:37:11 AM

I mean the general aiming and movement physics of the game. I have the same problem with Counterstrike, though the stupid hitboxes in that game piss me off to no end.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 11:35:52 AM

I never really liked the controls of the BF games...Quake/UT is much more my style.
Bunnyhoptarded rocketjumper!

tongue

Actually I feel the franchise is going too far in the action/quake/ut direction. 1942 was much slower paced. I've mentioned this before with my wish for a WWI BF. Mustard gas those bunnyhoppers that are camping the airstrip for biplanes!
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 12:11:51 PM

I tend to agree that they don't get better from the days of CS. For example in BF2 sniper rifle bullet does not follow gravity arc or you can shoot machine gun nearly point blank and miss all of your shots.

Strazos

Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 01:04:02 PM

you can shoot machine gun nearly point blank and miss all of your shots.

This shit happens in CS, constantly.

No, I don't do any of that crap. What I mean is, my shots actually go where I aim at, not like that crap in CS where my reticle simply get's bigger to indicate lowered accuracy. I understand that rapid fire kills my accuracy - just make my actual reticle move then, so I can at least compensate.

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 01:30:23 PM

you can shoot machine gun nearly point blank and miss all of your shots.

This shit happens in CS, constantly.

No, I don't do any of that crap. What I mean is, my shots actually go where I aim at, not like that crap in CS where my reticle simply get's bigger to indicate lowered accuracy. I understand that rapid fire kills my accuracy - just make my actual reticle move then, so I can at least compensate.

You would actually prefer the reticle to jump around? /boggle

The expanded reticule is actually pretty realistic- when shooting full auto, even an expert can only place shots in a certain area. There is just no way to control the gun unless you have some way to completely dampen the recoil.

Learn to shoot in bursts, noobler  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 01:33:26 PM

I thought the expanding reticle in FarCry was pretty nice.  I could gauge the spread, unlike with, say, a jiggly reticle.  Also: shoot in bursts, Count Noobula.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos

Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 11:13:05 PM

I am talking about bursts; Of course I don't expect to be able to compensate for the amount of jump I would see in the reticle when going full auto - that's what tracer rounds are for.

But what I mean by the expanding reticle is that the more expands, the crazier your shots get. Hell, I'm fairly sure I could aim better than the in-game avatars IRL sometimes...I wouldn't be firing at the ceiling or adjacent walls. Or when the gun is kicking up, I wouldn't be hitting the floor...I just don't find it to be intuitive.

Fear the Backstab!
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 06:34:00 AM

Spray should not be random like its in BF2 - one bullet hits too high followed by another hitting too low. I shouldn't be able to side step someone with auto weapon and pistol them to death while they are trying to shoot at me.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 07:46:43 AM

Day of Defeat actually had a real recoil system back in beta 2 (I think....).  Your gun actually jumped up with each shot.  How much drastically depended on the caliber of the gun and weather you were standing/crouching/laying when you shot.  I really liked it.  It had a steep learning curve cause it was really hard to shoot people, but once you got a feel for the guns you could actully get pretty good with them.  It felt realistic and took actuall skill to hit people.  But then they patched it into the standard "growing or shrinking hitbox" system that most everyody else uses, and now I can empty my tommy gun into somebody almost point blank and not kill them sometimes :(.  Ah well, Day of Defeat is still probably my favorite online shooter, though I liked the old recoil system better.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 19, 2006, 10:14:39 AM

Has anyone overcame their Napster/I2hub/whatever indignant rage for long enough to actually tell us about the gameplay? 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 19, 2006, 11:28:46 AM

It could be robot jesus and I still wouldn't buy it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: October 19, 2006, 11:40:25 AM

My buddy at work bought it, and didn't give a shit about the spyware installed, despite being a paranoid motherfucker. He played it past midnight last night, which is strange for him, because he's usually in bed by 11 p.m. at the absolute latest on work nights.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 19, 2006, 12:03:21 PM

My buddy at work bought it, and didn't give a shit about the spyware installed, despite being a paranoid motherfucker. He played it past midnight last night, which is strange for him, because he's usually in bed by 11 p.m. at the absolute latest on work nights.

Cool, all I need to know.  Merely being on the Internet and buying things on it results in the exact same data being collected, so I don't care.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #54 on: October 19, 2006, 12:27:34 PM

That's all you need to know?  That some guy you don't know stayed up an hour past his bedtime?  I see you put as much thought into your video game purchases as you do political affiliations.   tongue

On a more serious note the main forum for bf2142 has the following threads in general discussion.  These are stickied threads in what should be a fanboy forum...

Sticky: If you are still experiencing Disconnect problems
Sticky: "2142 Sucks" - Consider before Posting
Sticky: Will you be patching your game? If so, *READ THIS*
Sticky: For those who can't log in...
Sticky: NO MORE adware/spyware threads - I refer you to...
Sticky: Demo Bugs
Sticky: 2142, Spyware and You.

It is a shitty game, full of bugs with the added bonus of in-game dynamic advertising and spyware.  I think you can download a demo if you still want to try it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #55 on: October 19, 2006, 01:06:46 PM

Damage Control, report to the engine room!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
littledude
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 19, 2006, 01:41:45 PM

Must sleep....must sleep...

Holy shit, I pre-ordered it and got my veteran name reserver and since I bought it from EB I got an instance rank up (do both before installing the game).  DvD installed pretty quick, small patch to down load from EA (I don't use the EA downloaders so I have to go to the site and down load and install it).  Took about a hour to get the hang of it...and damn my sleep is screwed up!  I work nights anyway...come home at 0730 and played till 1100...then sleep till 1430 and get the kid and go do stuff.  Heck both my 10 year old and I have had a blast playing it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: October 19, 2006, 02:58:08 PM

It is a shitty game, full of bugs with the added bonus of in-game dynamic advertising and spyware.  I think you can download a demo if you still want to try it.

You could have just said it's an EA DICE game and that'd handle all your descriptors.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 19, 2006, 03:48:27 PM

PR damage control 

WTS a BS review, cheap. WTB bank stick [1 charge].

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:51:33 PM by sinij »

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #59 on: October 19, 2006, 09:06:58 PM

BTW, since 2142 is out of the question, what shooters are you guys playing atm?
Strazos

Reply #60 on: October 19, 2006, 10:33:18 PM

I'm not even playing any shooters ATM...back to playing my good old stand-by MU*.

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #61 on: October 19, 2006, 10:35:00 PM

I was thinking of firing up Far Cry again.

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #62 on: October 19, 2006, 11:03:52 PM

The worst part about the whole thing is how LAZY it seems like these guys are about the program. An in-game advert program does not have to be connected to the Net at all times.

They're not looking to do a traditional wide-spectrum ad-dump.  They're looking to target ads directly towards you and whatever your browsing habits are.

Yeah, this is insidious, and instead of trying to block it everyone just needs to not buy the damned game.

I'm not in any way taking a "pro" position on this tech or it's use, but didn't anyone else ever say "damn that would be cool" when they saw the focused advertising in that damned Tom Cruise movie, uhh, can't remember it atm.

While of course collecting the data is going to be considered by some to be intrusive no matter how it's done, advertising in and of itself isn't a bad thing in my opinion....I actually do want to know about products that may interest me, and if I have to take advertising in any way, I'd much rather it be about things I'm interested in.

Rumors of War
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #63 on: October 19, 2006, 11:11:42 PM

There's enough advertising in the world as it is. I don't need to be reminded of products. Especially in games. That I pay for.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 20, 2006, 05:15:38 AM

Relying solely on google finding the testimony of 'random people on the internet', this appears to be just unecessarily wide legal ass-covering language. I gather the 'spyware' just takes a guess at what region you live in, and records when you play BF2142, then sends that information to the ad server so that you get ads in the right language. Naturally 'random guy on the internet' is not an unimpeachable source.

Has anyone found any actual analysis of what the software does?

Has anyone overcame their Napster/I2hub/whatever indignant rage for long enough to actually tell us about the gameplay? 

Random people on the internet say it is good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #65 on: October 20, 2006, 05:51:57 AM

Ah well, Day of Defeat is still probably my favorite online shooter, though I liked the old recoil system better.

Damn, I forgot I have the whole HL2 shebang on this computer. I should give DoD another go sometime.

Buggy? Unfinished? What? From Dice/EA? I can't believe it!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 20, 2006, 05:55:25 AM

I'm not in any way taking a "pro" position on this tech or it's use, but didn't anyone else ever say "damn that would be cool" when they saw the focused advertising in that damned Tom Cruise movie, uhh, can't remember it atm.

Seek help, because that squicked me out more than the eyeball removal scene did.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #67 on: October 20, 2006, 07:12:35 AM

That scene wasn't supposed to make you go "wow, cool" it was supposed to depict the very real possibility that advertising will get that aggressive, invasive and hyper-annoying.  I can't imagine what kind of head-space you are coming from that you would think that was cool.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #68 on: October 20, 2006, 07:25:43 AM

Seek help, because that squicked me out more than the eyeball removal scene did.

Siding with Big Gulp here.  Not cool and in fact very un-cool.  My wife and I probably aged to retirement after viewing that scene, decrying the rapid decline of our wonderful way of life.  "Shit, Johnny, I remember the Good Old Days when God-damn billboards didn't creep ya the fuck out by calling out yer fuckin' name and pushin' shitty products on ya based on how yer God-damn last medical exam came out."

In the future, old people will have incredibly foul mouths.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: October 20, 2006, 08:53:34 AM

BTW, since 2142 is out of the question, what shooters are you guys playing atm?

I've been kicking some UT2k4 Onslaught during lunch at work lately. I'll occasionally play at night, but I'm mostly engrossed in FIFA 07 on the X-Box at home.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: BF2142 has Spyware? /dropkick  
Jump to: