Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Pokey response time on inital login 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokey response time on inital login  (Read 5793 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: October 13, 2006, 05:30:45 PM

Natch, anybody else getting this?

The first time I start up the game for a session, the login is really slow, it takes time for the character select screen to come up and then it takes more time for me to choose and load a character. Once in game, the lag is insane.

Now, if I log out, quit and restart the game, everything's a s snappy as it should be, considering this is still a game in early beta, but it works. Why the latency and pokiness on the initial login?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:13 PM

How much RAM do you have?
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:55:06 PM

I get this as well.  I can't remember the last time I saw my characters at the select screen since I just select the name and keep on going.  This is with 2 gigs of RAM.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:04:35 PM

I get this as well.  I can't remember the last time I saw my characters at the select screen since I just select the name and keep on going.  This is with 2 gigs of RAM.
Have you tried rebooting your machine, not launching any apps, and then running LOTRO? The symptoms you guys describe is almost certainly Windows thrashing about swapping things to the swap file to make room for LOTRO in memory. Do you guys have dynamic (i.e. "system managed") or fixed sized swap files? If they are dynamic you should try it with the swap file at a fixed size.

I have 2 GB of RAM as well and I don't see this problem except for a few seconds when I first enter the world and it's still loading textures and stuff into memory.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:50:54 AM

I thought it might have been 'doze on my machine as well (which had 2 gigs of RAM), but I got the same results on my new rig with four gigs of RAM and a spanking new install of the OS.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 06:57:43 AM

My situation is like Trippy's, it is only slow due to loading graphics and even then it's not bad.  Character login/creation is pretty snappy for me.  My geriatric rig only has 1.5GB of RAM.  Maybe it's the GFX card?  I have a GF 6800 256MB and I run the game at 1280x960 or some such, but not with all of the candy enabled.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 07:32:19 AM

Highly unlikely it's the graphics card. The GPU memory is cleared when you quit the game. Therefore if it is the GPU memory (or lack thereof) you should get the same behavior everytime you run the game. The fact that it's slow the first time you launch the game but fine the second time and the game isn't creating any sort of game cache files on disc that I can see (like how BF2 rebuilds certain data files everytime you touch the graphic settings) tells me it's an OS issue and like I said almost certainly a swap file issue of some sort.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:33:11 AM

I thought it might have been 'doze on my machine as well (which had 2 gigs of RAM), but I got the same results on my new rig with four gigs of RAM and a spanking new install of the OS.
What are your virtual memory settings?
vex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 11:08:43 AM

Highly unlikely it's the graphics card. The GPU memory is cleared when you quit the game. Therefore if it is the GPU memory (or lack thereof) you should get the same behavior everytime you run the game. The fact that it's slow the first time you launch the game but fine the second time and the game isn't creating any sort of game cache files on disc that I can see (like how BF2 rebuilds certain data files everytime you touch the graphic settings) tells me it's an OS issue and like I said almost certainly a swap file issue of some sort.

I'm inclined to agree with this.  It sounds like disk thrashing on my machine.  I have a fixed sized swap file but I can't remember the last time I rebooted it.  I bring it up from hibernate everyday which isn't the same thing.  I mostly just ignore since it doesn't affect game play at all. 

I guess if I cared I’d walk all the way downstairs, reboot my machine and try but there is that flight of stairs to think about and then I’d probably have to move my luggage I just dropped in front of the door.  This could take all day so I’ll just sit here a bit.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:54 AM

You don't sit anywhere close to your machine? Also, why can't you just soft-reboot from Windows?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
vex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 11:34:08 AM

I have computers sprinkled around the house.  My gaming one is downstairs.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 05:08:38 PM

My virtual memory settings are set for highest performance.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 05:10:20 PM

What's the Virtual Memory setting to go with? I remember it being 2xRAM or something like that.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 08:39:49 PM

My virtual memory settings are set for highest performance.
Wrong screen. You want to go to:

My Computer (right click) -> Properties -> Advanced (tab) -> Performance (Settings) -> Advanced (tab) -> Virtual Memory (Change)

Note that while some virtual memory settings guides suggest you move your swap file off your C: drive (or wherever Windows is located) if you have multiple hard drives mine is still there because my D: drive is used by my PVR software so I don't want any OS related disc thrashing to cause "hiccups" in my recordings.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 08:41:59 PM

What's the Virtual Memory setting to go with? I remember it being 2xRAM or something like that.
Mine is currently set to the Windows recommended amount. 2 x RAM is a rough rule of thumb but it depends on how many apps you like to have loaded simulatenously.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 06:08:47 AM

Having a page file with a size based on RAM is something I find silly.  If you have more RAM, you need less paging space.  It really comes down to how overcomitted you are.  Even people you think would know better (SAP AG) use the "multiple of RAM" rule, which is rather ridiculous if you have enough RAM to run everything in real memory.  You do want some for spillover, of course, but 2 or 3 times RAM is silly if your machine is properly sized.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 06:23:20 AM

You are assuming the Windows paging algorithm actually makes sense, which it doesn't, or at least it doesn't at first glance. E.g. I have 1.5 MB of RAM free at the moment and yet Windows is using 640 MB of page file space and it's going up at the moment (20 MB in the time it took to write this). I.e. Windows is actively writing stuff there even though I have gobs and gobs of RAM free. I originally had my page file at 2 GB but I recently saw that it somehow got up to 1.4 GB for some inexplicible reason so I bumped it up to the recommended 3 GB.

And actually after I first built this computer I "turned off" the page file since I have 2 GB of RAM and yet Windows still created a page file behind my back and was using it constantly so I went back to the fixed size technique.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:26:13 AM by Trippy »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 03:06:55 PM

You are assuming the Windows paging algorithm actually makes sense, which it doesn't, or at least it doesn't at first glance.

You got me there.  In my world, things are loaded into RAM and kept there until it runs low.  If OS and apps don't consume all RAM, the rest is used for filecache.  Paging space is untouched until a low RAM condition is reached.  You can specify exactly what that is, too.  And more.  DOS makes me groan.

And actually after I first built this computer I "turned off" the page file since I have 2 GB of RAM and yet Windows still created a page file behind my back and was using it constantly so I went back to the fixed size technique.

You commented on this before so I also went back to the static pagefile.  Also the Titan Quest demo refused to run without virtual memory.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Pokey response time on inital login  
Jump to: