Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Clover Dissolved by Capcom 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clover Dissolved by Capcom  (Read 8720 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: October 12, 2006, 03:38:19 AM

Clover Dissolved by Capcom

As the title says, they've been shut down. They brought us Viewtiful Joe, Okami and the recently released God Hand. I haven't been this upset since Black Isle Studios was shut down.

If you don't know who they were you should be ashamed. Go buy their stuff, make a point.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:11:43 AM

That's too bad.  Okami is a lovely game.  (even though I'm so uncoordinated that it takes me forever to get anywhere)  It's a LOT of fun to play, even with my horrible gamepad control.  I would reccomend it to everyone.  I haven't played the other two, but I'll take a look at them and maybe pick them up later.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:13:05 AM

Signe, I can't see you liking God Hand at all. It is brutal.

Same with Viewtiful Joe...

Really, Clover did not excel at making games "easy." Making Okami as easy as it is was probably a monumental effort for them.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:26:11 AM

You're saying I have fat fingers, aren't you?  Well, ok... I believe you.  I do still enjoy games that I play badly, you know.  That's what cheating is for.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:32:41 AM

God damn it.  I liked Viewtiful Joe.  Although, tragically, been too distracted by my other gaming pursuits to complete Viewtiful Joe 2.  Maybe that's a sign that my involvement with the franchise was over.  Still, it's tragic when a talented team of game developers are dissolved by a clueless corperate egomass.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:34:24 AM

wow, people dont wait do they?  they decide revenue before something's even had time in the market, like Okami.  Stupid.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:55:25 PM

Damn that's a shame. Viewtiful Joe is an amazing piece of work; they clearly had some talented designers there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 02:37:54 PM

wow, people dont wait do they?  they decide revenue before something's even had time in the market, like Okami.  Stupid.

This announcement came the day God Hand hit american shelves.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:51:37 PM

A source who wishes to remain anonymous is telling me that the Clover gang actually wants to split from Capcom and form their own independent development studio. So the dissolution, then, would have been caused by the developers deciding to take off.

From Kotaku via Joystiq.

Hmm.
Abel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 03:31:51 AM

It appears the studio was shut down because much of its star talent had walked out, rather then (perceived) poor sales. From Gamespot news:

Clover stars had split Capcom
Publisher confirms that Viewtiful Joe producer and Devil May Cry director left the publisher earlier this year; Resident Evil creator remains as contractor.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Oct 13, 2006 1:40 pm PT
When Capcom announced yesterday that it was shutting down its creativity focused subsidiary Clover Studio, one of the big questions was what would become of its big-name talent. Clover counted a number of notable names on its development roster, including Atsushi Inaba (producer of Steel Battalion and Viewtiful Joe), Shinji Mikami (creator of Resident Evil), and Hideki Kamiya (director of Devil May Cry).

Today Capcom confirmed that two of those three are no longer with the company and actually hadn't been there for some months.

"Mr. Mikami is still working as a contracted producer for Capcom, but unfortunately Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya are no longer with the company, having left respectively in June and July this year," a Capcom representative told GameSpot. "We obviously hoped that Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya would return to work for Capcom, but both were looking for fresh challenges."

As for what happens with the rest of the Clover crew, the rep said that Capcom is "currently in discussions with remaining staff members to incorporate them into positions within the Capcom R&D teams."

[UPDATE] Until Clover's doors are closed for good in March 2007, the Capcom representative said that the remaining staff will be busy working on the PAL versions of Okami and God Hand. She also confirmed that Capcom retains all the intellectual property rights to Clover's games.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:35:07 AM by Abel »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 02:40:18 AM

Anyways, this thread deserved a follow up:

http://www.seeds-inc.jp/

Heavy Hitters:

Atsushi Inaba (Clover producer)

Hideki Kamiya (DMC and Viewtiful creator/RE2-Okami director)

Shinji Mikami (RE creator/RE4 director)

"We are the Seeds that caused the vibrant flowers Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Steel Battalion, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami to come into bloom," reads the introduction, which goes on to state that the studio is currently actively hiring. "Now, with a renewed spirit, we want to once again challenge the world of entertainment. But to do this, we need many, many more seeds... Would you like to make some 'preposterously amazing' games with us?"
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 11:57:25 AM

Yea, saw that on NeoGAF yesterday. Exciting times we live in.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:47:24 PM

Yea, saw that on NeoGAF yesterday. Exciting times we live in.

Really cool as far as what Seed themselves might come up with.

Kind of sad for Capcom though. I hope the Clover guys have passed down their wisdom enough...Else future big franchise titles could go the way of DMC2 or Outbreak.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 02:46:49 PM

Would you like to make some 'preposterously amazing' games with us?"

Heh, I like their attitude.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 09:18:13 PM

I think Capcom will be OK.  More interested in what these guys might put together.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 10:54:07 PM

The loss of the guys responsible for DMC, RE and VJ is a big hit. What does Capcom have left? More Mega-Man?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 12:13:46 AM

Well Mega-Man teams are in tact (but Inafune has moved to new titles like Lost Planet and Dead Rising).

Phoenix Wright

Devil May Cry 4 is being directed by the same dude who directed DMC 2 and 3. He may not be the creator (DMC creator was the Okami and VJ guy), but DMC4 will probably be cool. DMC2 wasn't that great, but DMC3 was.

Some of the older RE and Onimusha teams are working on Resident Evil 5, but the director intends to not deviate from what RE4 did.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:47 AM

84 of the 88 people in Clover were put back into the Capcom pool.

Most of them went to RE5.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Clover Dissolved by Capcom  
Jump to: