Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: ... and healers around the world said "Wtf!?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ... and healers around the world said "Wtf!?"  (Read 32881 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 13, 2006, 08:27:18 AM

Hey, here's an idea !

Rather than frothing on for another four pages, let's ask in the NDA thread about how this really affects anything and whether it actually works !

Hey !

At least at the moment there is nothing in beta to judge by. There aren't many mods out for beta and the client refuses to load old mods.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 13, 2006, 08:39:35 AM

Well, actually, I was thinking of asking how the whole 'lotsa curses flying around' situation was.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 13, 2006, 08:51:16 AM

Well, actually, I was thinking of asking how the whole 'lotsa curses flying around' situation was.

Beta is capped at L67 for the moment and very few people are even close so it's unlikely anyone is gonna be doing the 25 mans any time soon. And the complaint is about raid decursing, not single group which is trivial for anybody.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #108 on: October 13, 2006, 09:03:34 AM

So removing Decursive is ok, because healing is supposed to suck so much that... you don't want to do it?  Sorry, but you seem to be championing the 'healing SHOULD be a pain in the ass' point of view.

No, I'm championing the, 'if you're going to bitch, bitch about the real problem' point of view.  You go on and on acting like it's some kind of shock that Blizzard would expect healers to focus on peoples' health bars during a raid, and now you're adding that you had no idea that WoW would become so raid-focused for the endgame.  For someone who has been playing MMO's since UO you just don't seem to be too good at noticing trends is all.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 13, 2006, 09:41:20 AM

Finally, I hate, hate, hate, hate when people toss out the 'Omg, I hate playing whack a mole, or having my screen filled up and having my job just healing people and checking out bars and decursing and blah and blah and fucking blah.'

Let's be Clear :  A Priest isn't for You.

What he said.

I always end up playing clerics/priests/defenders/whatever. I usually try other classes first, then after a few weeks suddenly think 'bollocks to this for a game of soldiers' and roll a healer. Reasons being....

1) Nobody else actually ever has to make a decision, or predict what is about to happen next, or seriously assess whether people in their own group are capable of taking the beating they are getting for at least a few more seconds while I focus on that guy over there. (possible exceptions can be made for crowd control guy)

2) Player skill in other classes just doesn't (generally) have the same level of impact on outcomes.

3) The whole ball-ache of trying to find a group if you aren't a healer.

4) The even greater ball-ache of finding a healer for my group if I'm not one.

5) If you want something done properly....

6) Being able to stand at the back where I can admire all the shiny properly.

7) Mouthbreathers will more readily listen to simple instructions given by healers than by other classes. (strangely tanks also get this inherent authority - I say strangely because I can't help thinking of tanks in my group as NPC pets with really bad pathing AI)

8) Not having to get involved in all that uncivilised fightin' and killin'.

I wouldn't want healing which doesn't involve having to identify who is getting hurt, or having to squint at 67 separate effect icons stacked against each player name. You go down that road and a tank player could do it.

I don't play WoW, but this whole thread reminds me of spread-heals in daoc. Fed up of having to decide who needs healing the most? Don't worry, we'll have the spell figure it out for you. Oh... er... thanks.

Certainly the change as described would probably mean that it will take a larger number of priests to manage decursing on a raid, but requiring more of a class doesn't have a history of reducing the number of people who play it.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:44:21 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #110 on: October 13, 2006, 02:18:32 PM

The thing that would suck most about having no decursive would be the need for extra hotkey slots. As a druid you get a spell that removes curses, a spell that cures poison, and a spell that repeatedly checks for poison and cures it (the simple poison cure is more mana efficient, so it's situational). For all I know, the xpack may add more spells to this list. So instead of just hitting a decursive hotkey, you need to find space for all of those.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 13, 2006, 11:00:46 PM

The "dot" decursers cost the same as their single equivalents and do the same exact thing with the dot added on top. So you only really need the "dot" one. Right now I have both types of dispells and decursive so I'll actually go down in hotkeys. :P
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #112 on: October 14, 2006, 02:23:27 AM

Really? Sorry, it's a few months since I've played WoW. Shows how used to decursive I became.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: ... and healers around the world said "Wtf!?"  
Jump to: