Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: My Router Hates Me (troubleshooting router issues) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Router Hates Me (troubleshooting router issues)  (Read 918 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: October 03, 2006, 05:34:49 PM

I have been suffering a rather annoying problem with my router, and am unable to track down exactly what is causing it, so I figured I would ask the guru's here and see what advice I might get.

Some info:
- I supply a shared internet connection through my router, to 2 other people in my residence (one wired connection and 1 wireless conection, in addition to my own wired connection)
- My router is a Linksys WRT54g ver 2 (about 2 years old now i think)
- My firmware is up to date
- Problem ONLY affects the router (its not my NIC or my ISP/Cable modem, cause the issue does not occur if i connect my PC directly to the modem).
- All relavent ports (that i am aware of) are open / forewarded

The Problem:

Everything normally works fine.  Games, email, standard peer-peer file sharing apps (IRC, E-mule) and whatnot all work smootly for long periods of operation.

However, Bit-torrent, for some odd reason, hates my router.  If i fire up a BT client (i have tried 4 or 5, official release, Java Based Azureus, Utorent, Bit Tornado) and leave it running for anything longer then about 4 hours or so, I start to have issues connecting out.  (small note, for some odd reason, this problem did NOT affect the Blizzard downloader client when i left it running for almost 10 hours to download the BC Alpha client)

The torrent starts fine, transfers occur normally (all software indicators are green), but eventually normal traffic just slowly grinds to a halt and the client becomes unable to connect to its tracker, untill eventually anything I try results in a time out.

No web browser will connect to a website, pings dont go anywhere, and even attempts to reach the routers configuration screen just time out after a minute or two of trying.

Worse, this also affects ANYONE using the router, so the two people I am sharing net with come down and yell at me that the internet is out.

I can resolve the problem simply by re-starting the router, but I have been totally unable to figure out what is causing it.

If anyone has any suggestions, i would love to hear it, cause as it stands, I am considering buying a new router.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:52:36 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: My Router Hates Me (troubleshooting router issues)  
Jump to: