Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve 14 day trial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eve 14 day trial  (Read 10774 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: July 18, 2004, 10:21:33 AM

First: You have to sign up to MMORPG.com to get it. I did it awhile back for a sign up like this so I don't remember how painful it really is. It's a 14 day trial that doesn't require the use of a credit card. You can find it all here - http://www.mmorpg.com/eve_trial.cfm.

Edit after actually reading some things: Apparently this opportunity is until the end of this month and that's it. Also, I believe the minute you click "Get your key" (or whatever the button says) the trial begins then. Not 100% on the last part.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 01:04:51 PM

I think it's worth a shot for people who have never tried the game out before.    I played it for about a month and then cancelled.  It got a little old pretty quick, and the long travel times didn't help too much either.  I've heard that the PVP in the game is pretty fun, but I never got into a corp that was into PVP.  I think once the upcoming Shiva expansion is released I will resub and give it a shot.  The changes and additions look like great fun, and will hopefully make it the game I wanted in the first place.

-Liquidator

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 02:27:53 PM

Yeah, when they made the change to longer travel times via quicker warp core depletion, I started to dislike the game. The rest of the game is perfect, just the travelling was key and I didn't have the patience for 30-45 min trade trips.

Just looked at the expansion too. Some very interesting stuff being added. I also just remembered how nice the game looked. Even when I was running a GeForce 4 MX SE (AKA Honda Civic of video cards.)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 04:13:31 PM

DAMN.  That Eve expantion looks sweet.  I remember playing the game during beta and really liking it.  I mean, other then the fairly non interactive space combat, it was a really good game.  

Sure, some might find it boring as hell, but when i think about it, being subbed to both EVE and CoH at the same time would probably totally fill my gaming needs for damn near eternity.

EVE to take care of the days when i feel like carefully planning, working on intricate character building, and with its insanely deep economy system.

CoH for whenever i need my fast and hard action fix.

I may really have to look into subbing to EVE when Shiva goes live.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 09:29:57 PM

Quote from: NiX
Even when I was running a GeForce 4 MX SE (AKA Geo Metro of video cards.)

FIFY.  GF4MX line might have Civic-like sales figures, but the relative performance values definately put the card into the 3-cyl Metro range.

--
Alkiera, owner of an '89 Civic Si.

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 06:50:28 AM

Quote from: Alkiera
Quote from: NiX
Even when I was running a GeForce 4 MX SE (AKA Geo Metro of video cards.)

FIFY.  GF4MX line might have Civic-like sales figures, but the relative performance values definately put the card into the 3-cyl Metro range.

--
Alkiera, owner of an '89 Civic Si.

Don't mock the Metro (or the Chevy Sprint either).
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 02:10:01 PM

What about the colt?

Actually, my MX SE got some good run out of it. CoH AND FFXI both ran on it without chugging along.

But, back on topic - Anyone know if they got rid of 90% of the error bugs? I Hated docking at a station to be visually raped by numerous error messages.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 02:20:01 PM

When that expansion comes out, I might have to check back. But only if they do something to the travel times. Sorry, I don't like watching a game move my ship for 45 minutes while everyone spams the chat channels with what they're currently reading or watching on TV :)
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 02:20:49 PM

I've played for quite a bit, and many of the errors have been removed. T2 frigs are mid-release (all Interceptors are out and a couple of the race Cover Ops as well.)

As for travel times, ya, they're annoying, but shuttles and frigates now warp travel in-system at 6au/s vs. 3 (? 4?) that the cruisers and BS's go. Seems a bit snappier to me, but YMMV if you're used to PoK'ing around Norrath or with a port bot.

I find it currently very time-intensive as a freelancer (solo mostly) altho I have a T2 BP...

Shiva will most certainly rock.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 02:28:25 PM

6au/s is is about what it was when I played iirc. The thing that got me was the missions. Do missions to make money. The system and market make perfect sense particularly coming from SWG, though Eve is a bit more NPC centric on the friend end (complete with fluctuating and regional micro economies and such).

But dammit. Doing a 7-hop mission (one way) and then returning for the next is about an hour and a half. Figure half that if heading out to mine and refine resources to certain quantities.

Whereas most games are about X amount of XP over Y amount of time, Eve was the first gamI where I trully measured time by just time. Not as AFK-able as SWG, but just enough to be a viable all-day game interspersed with the rest of life. If that was what I was looking for.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 12:51:09 AM

Unholy baby of Christ. It's a goddamn Massive Multiplayer Online Screensaver.

I've never wanted to quit from a game so quickly before. I shit you not when I say Horizons kept my attention longer than this, and I would consider myself rather patient. I can only assume, from what I've seen, that this game is played by people in some sort of catatonic state. If you're wondering what I did in my 2 hours in game:

1. Did the tutorial
2. Mined some precious tritiunocolockaheekem or someshit
3. Got stabby with my eyes

Can someone please tell me when the 'fun' starts?
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 03:32:55 AM

Quote from: schild
Can someone please tell me when the 'fun' starts?

The fun starts when, as you approach an asteroid to mine, you hear the dert-dert-dert of your targeting system pinpoint an approaching pirate. Then you get to dance with your weapons, and later pick up the loot. Perhaps it's something you need, or perhaps you can sell it and buy something you need, an upgrade or ammo or a new weapon. And maybe as you are there you see some goods selling at a low price; you check the market and discover you can sell it at a profit somewhere else.

Man, I am starting to want back in the action.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 07:15:54 AM

Well, like a born fool, I just started up Eve again.  I played a bit in December, couldn't find anyone to play with, and quit.  So if anyone is in a decent Corp or wants to start one up, let me know.  My name is Pysek in-game.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 08:35:03 AM

Eve is an awesome economic sim. However, the blocks preventing players from having a good time are two fold:

1. Approaching the asteroid and hearing the dert-dert-dert only came after the 25 minutes you watched your ship jump 7 systems to get there.

2. It takes far too long for players to get to a point where combat becomes more than an actual form of hit-auto-attack-and-watch, far more automated than even the most stereotypical parroting of someone else's experiences in the earliest days of EQ. As a Warrior.

"Get back into the action"? Maybe I've lost my patience with slow lead-ins to games, but I had more action in the first 9 levels of Lineage 2 than I ever did in Eve. Abstract decision making, yes. Actual engaging immersive gaming? Not by a way long shot.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 02:44:25 AM

Wow, so I grabbed that 14 day trial because I was bored this weekend. I really don't know how one can stand this game when he only has one computer. Travel times are insane. Mining times for beginners are insane. skill training times are insane (although they work offline).

I honestly swear to god, this must be the first time people pay to do something different than what they pay for. But at least I got the 3d graphic support on my linux server working and spent some quality time playing Nethack. I guess I will have ascended a few times when the trial is over...
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 07:43:08 AM

I'll sign back up to check out Shiva when it arrives.  Maybe sooner a few want to try and set up a small combat-oriented Corp.  I think a subscriber can sign people up for a two week trial without having to jump through a bunch of 3rd party hoops.  I think all I have is a Merlin and about 1.5 mil in the bank, all from combat, not mining.

The one thing that would add tremendously to combat would be the ability to bring items off and online inflight, especially when it comes to combat.  I would like to be able to power up warp core stabilizers when needed then power them down to free up the cpu to activate turrets or missles later on in the fight.

I could only take about an hour of mining when I started EVE.  After that it was all combat in the lowest security sector my Merlin could stand.  

The Corp I was in is now defunct but we started one of the first wars when EVE was released.  I never had a more satisfying PvP experience than the time I suprised the opposing Corp's badger and 2 Condors equipped for mining in my combat equipped Merlin.  Good Times.

If anyone can confirm that subscribers can get a trial for other players and wants  to give it a shot, let me know.  I'm kinda tempted to sign back up and check it out again.

-Tige
Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 08:21:36 AM

The one thing that would add tremendously to combat would be the ability to bring items off and online inflight, especially when it comes to combat. I would like to be able to power up warp core stabilizers when needed then power them down to free up the cpu to activate turrets or missles later on in the fight.

You can take any modules off line in space. The catch with powering modules back online in space is you need 95% current capacitor and then it drains about 50% of it for the action of bringing it online.

Eve timeline goes a bit like this:
Sign up -> Tutorial -> Mine, get bored -> Combat, loose ship -> Logon only long enough to train for 3-5 months -> Have Fun!

~C~
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 11:44:35 AM

Speaking as someone who only played in beta, but rather liked the game, did they ever fix the whole:

- spend all your cash on a good ship and equipment
- get hozed during a fight (or in my case, lose your battleship to a bunch of faction NPCs when you get disconnected from the server)
- say fuckit because you just waisted a month or two of your game time

I know that they were supposed to be instituting some kind of ship Insurance policy into the game, so that if you did lose your ship, it didnt totally cripple you.  Is that now in?

Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 12:04:54 PM

Ya insurance is in, although it does cost an arm and a leg for Battleships.. it does prevent the "o m g... I'll never recover from this loss" feeling.

~C~
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 05:48:36 PM

If you don't self-insure, CONCORDE will insure you at 40%. Makes the I-just-lost-my-4M-cruiser-and-I-want-to-curl-up-and-die a bit less of a death knell.

Still annoying to lose your Rupture and have to work back up mining in a Probe. (Do you hear the voice of experience?)

If you're in a corp it's likely much easier to weather such storms, however. And getting ~100k a mission from lvl 3 agents is much more palatible (you >>do<< have Connections and Negotions at lvl 4 don't you? :) )
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 11:01:00 PM

Speaking of skills, I seem to remember when I was playing around in the last weeks of beta creating multiple characters, that there were some skills that you could NOT purchase from shops.  You could ONLY get them during the initial stages of character creation. Is this still true?  Or is it possible (given enough time and money) to learn every skill in the game on a single character?

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 04:12:36 AM

Quote from: SurfD
Speaking of skills, I seem to remember when I was playing around in the last weeks of beta creating multiple characters, that there were some skills that you could NOT purchase from shops.  You could ONLY get them during the initial stages of character creation. Is this still true?  Or is it possible (given enough time and money) to learn every skill in the game on a single character?

The biggest problem with those skills - like Astronavigation or some Market skills - was that they weren't implemented at that point. :)

There are still skills you cannot buy, but they drop as mob loot.

(I've seen some cases of "skill griefing" though, where some rich mofo buys up all of a low-cost skill and then resells them for a million a piece.)

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve 14 day trial  
Jump to: