Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3421283 times)
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3325 on: July 19, 2008, 11:26:20 PM

I am trying to get my company to move to Google Apps. 

Most of us travel around constantly and need a safe, secure and easy to use system for working on documents.  A lost or broken laptop can really ruin one's day.

Plus, microsoft fucking sucks.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3326 on: July 20, 2008, 12:49:28 AM

You need to be able to have social skills. theres a way of bing respectful and making people not feel stupid when you point out that they have been doing wrong.

Ho ho ho.

http://www.geeksugar.com/1573854  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3327 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:19 AM

Fresh chat log excerpt.  Names modified.

D. P. : HI Gary.
me: hi
D. P. : How much memory do we have in T59?
me: i was told to give 32gb
D. P. : physical?
me: is there some other kind

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3328 on: July 21, 2008, 04:09:52 PM

me: is there some other kind

Virtual

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3329 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:49 PM

I would slap someone who had 32GB of virtual memory.

Hell, physical memory even.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3330 on: July 21, 2008, 07:45:45 PM

Hmm, well when someone asks me to put 32GB of memory on a server, I don't think "Hay, maybe I can give them 16GB of RAM and 16GB of paging space".  Perhaps this is just me.

Stray, I'm not going to be able to invite you over.  You be slappin' bitches everywhere.  That server he was asking about is indeed virtual, and I just "built" it today.  It does have 32GB of physical RAM allocated to it, out of a total 128GB or so in the frame.  It's a logical partition, or LPAR, which is somewhat different from a virtual I/O, or VIO, partition, because it has actual physical I/O adapters assigned to it directly from hardware slots (much easier on me).  VIO partitions have virtual everything: the "disks" are logical partitions served from the VIO server, the ethernet "adapters" are virtual ones mapped to physical ones in the VIO server (could be several virtual ethernet adapters sharing one physical).  However, whether the partition is a VIO or a regular old LPAR, the memory and CPU are the same: memory is mapped from the hypervisor via address translation table and CPU are just "slices" of real CPU.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3331 on: July 23, 2008, 07:52:36 AM

Woohoo, I have finally found my niche (on craigslist).

I am currently looking to employ someone who is skilled in the art of music and familiar with the Legend of Zelda series. I have always known Link to be a mover and shaker, but for the longest time never really knew why. Yes I am aware he has things to get done. But what drives Link? Music. How is it that Link never gets tired from running all over Hyrule? Music.

I have come to a place in my life where finding motivation has become very hard. Even to just get up and get a cup of coffee in the morning. This is where you come in. I as reach in my cabinet for my morning pop tart, as soon as I lift that cardboard tab, exposing a delicious strawberry treat, you play on the keyboard with all the soul in your body, the Open Treasure Box theme. Of course the different things I do throughout the day will need different themes, this is why it's important for you to have a pretty thick knowledge of Zelda. Here are a few examples of themes that could work:

1. Running into someone cute: Zelda's Theme.
2. Waking up in the morning: Hyrule Field Morning Theme.
3. I get lost driving: Lost Woods.
4. Taking a shower: Water Temple.
5. I miss a work deadline: Game Over.

But you can be creative. Also, its not extremely important, but a Tingle outfit would make things run smoother. Please email me to discuss pay, serious inquires only!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3332 on: July 23, 2008, 12:08:24 PM

Grandmother just pegged it.

Expected and a mercy and all that.  Sucks for my mother tho.

Heart

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3333 on: July 23, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

sorry for the loss.  Mine's been on the border for about 5 years now.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3334 on: July 23, 2008, 12:42:27 PM

Mexican ?

Or do you mean the Pakistan-Iraq Border ?

Don't worry about it.  It's not my loss as such.  She had a long and enjoyable one.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3335 on: July 23, 2008, 12:45:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, Ironwood.

If it's not a big joke on the Americans and y'all really do celebrate such things by partying and drinking heavily, tip one back for her in my stead.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3336 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:02 PM

No, that's not a joke.  There are going to be some pissed Scottish people this weekend.

Well, more than usual.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3337 on: July 23, 2008, 01:00:04 PM

I am of Scottish decent and am pissed almost every day. Especially in traffic.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Sorry to hear about your granny. My wife lost hers in April. The good news is I got to use some of my bereavement time to get out of work, so it wasn't a total loss.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3338 on: July 23, 2008, 01:20:11 PM

Sorry to hear that Ironwood, always hard to see someone go.

On another note, I finished my last flight exam last night and now I'm an officially rated instrument pilot. What's that mean? Mostly that I can stop throwing around wads of $100 bills every weekend, but - most importantly - that I can legally fly in 'less than perfect' visibility conditions. Not that I ever want to (the whole point of flying is being able to see stuff from a new view point), but it damn well better make my insurance rates go down.

"Hard IFR" instrument approach to landing

- Viin
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3339 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:41 PM

I'm sorry, too, for Ironwood.   Heart

I'm scared for the people who live under Viin.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3340 on: July 23, 2008, 01:47:18 PM

Sorry to hear too, IW. Grandmother on my mother's side passed just recently. She was the last of my grandparents.

Viin, that's cool as hell. I'd like to try that myself.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #3341 on: July 23, 2008, 02:21:37 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3342 on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:57 PM

iTunes has made me weep inside.   Went to pick up a few songs and off to the side I see the "top songs"  listing.  Topping it is "I kissed a girl" by some chick called Katy Perry.   I think "someone made Jill Sobule's song?"  No.. its in fact a horrible synthpop song with super vocal modding of the same premise but with vapid unintelligent lyrics.   I feel dumber for just having heard the 30 second clip and seen the lyrics.

And of course the comments that aren't decrying the song for 'corrupting youth' in a writing fashion that make me think /b/ got ahold of the idea of raiding iTunes are praising this girl for this horrible, horrible sonic weapon. 

I'm going to have to ban radio from my house and force my kids to listen to real music and musicians if this is the shit that gets played on non-rock stations these days.  It's worse than new country.  ACK!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3343 on: July 23, 2008, 04:03:14 PM

My nephews listen to T-Pain.  They are 10 and 5.  I think they play that crap on Disney's XM channel.  Makes me want to cry. 

Yah, I just watched part of that song you mentioned on youtube.   ACK!  Time to go listen to some Pixies.  Goddamn it I feel old now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:07:13 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3344 on: July 23, 2008, 04:17:23 PM

It's not so bad a song, been in occasional rotation on Radio1.

You guys are just too old.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3345 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:30 PM

Cut your hair, hippie.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3346 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:33 PM

It's not so bad a song, been in occasional rotation on Radio1.

Long-dead musicians want to sodomize you with a sheet music stand for that.

It's horrible. Not in the "rock and roll is devil's music because I'm too old" sense. In the "WTF IS THIS?! It's NOISE BRANDED AS MUSIC" sense.

Now, if Sky or another actual musician comes by and says, "Dude you're wrong, here's the breakdown," and makes some musical sense of it for me, I'll concede.   

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3347 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:22 PM

Shit, it's not that bad (it's got a melody at least -- that's my only breakdown). This would Noise. Or this
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3348 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:10 AM

I hate that fucking song. I hear it all the time on the radio station my fiance likes to listen to.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3349 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:09 AM

I think they play that crap on Disney's XM channel. 
This is the most insidious of many insidious RIAA intrusions on humanity. Our maintenance guy has a couple kids, whenever we take his truck somewhere he has that shit playing. It's so awful.

But then, his iTunes bag is filled with Greatest Hits of the 80s kind of shit. It's like walking past every song you never want to hear again, the worst overplayed shit evar, when you go by his office. And he won't shut it off when he leaves. And his office is right by the break room.

Listening to my music library is finally starting to get my fiancee weaned off classic rock radio. I like that stuff, but the rotation level is sickening.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3350 on: July 24, 2008, 06:50:27 AM

Shit, it's not that bad (it's got a melody at least -- that's my only breakdown). This would Noise. Or this

I like some noise and I love Keiji Haino! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3351 on: July 24, 2008, 08:10:03 AM

Katy Perry?  swamp poop  ACK!

Why do you people keep sending me to songs that suck monkey ass? I watched parts of 3 videos of this talentless hack... she's #1 on the charts? Holy fuck, each song was worse than the last.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3352 on: July 24, 2008, 09:01:19 AM

I like some noise and I love Keiji Haino! 

Yes, Keiji is cool... But he definitely makes a bigger racket, I'd say.  tongue
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3353 on: July 24, 2008, 09:45:16 AM

My Blackberry 7-something was just replaced by a non-steam-engine one, the 8330.  I'm excited that it accepts audio files other than MIDI, so I can finally have a ringtone that doesn't sound like I made it on a Commodore 64.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3354 on: July 24, 2008, 11:37:25 AM

My Blackberry 7-something was just replaced by a non-steam-engine one, the 8330.  I'm excited that it accepts audio files other than MIDI, so I can finally have a ringtone that doesn't sound like I made it on a Commodore 64.

also awesome that if you have an office voicemail system that forwards voicemails as wav files to your email it works!  That used to frustrate me to no end on the 7 series.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3355 on: July 24, 2008, 01:16:15 PM

That sounds pretty awesome.  We don't have that.  I suppose it's OK because it's difficult for me to understand thick Indian accents.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3356 on: July 24, 2008, 01:20:36 PM

I like old school ringtones. My phone doesn't offer anything cool like that though, except the default.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3357 on: July 24, 2008, 02:54:19 PM

speaking of cell phones, anyone know of a phone that can do 2 Sim cards at once? love to have my work and personal lines on the same phone.

Found a dual sim adapter but you can only do one at a time.

- Viin
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #3358 on: July 24, 2008, 10:14:17 PM

You need deprogramming. Listen to each of these five times:

Koenji Hyakkei
Boredoms
Merzbow
Ruins Alone
Acid Mothers Temple
Yoshida Tatsuya & Eiko Ishibashi
Cornelius
Melt Banana
OOIOO
Boris

For the boys - Boris' sexy guitarist:

Wata
Wata

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3359 on: July 24, 2008, 10:21:35 PM

Bleh. Way to remind me how I need to get rich and get a decent sound system so I can listen to all that stuff properly again. Thanks, Righ.

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: