Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400760 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #39340 on: July 16, 2020, 12:33:11 PM

Co-worker who I worked  with in the field on a boat 12 days ago is out sick with Covid symptoms.  He got tested we are waiting on the results. 

Fun fucking times

*edit* well tonight marks a full two weeks since I worked with him so everything must be OK.. Right?.... Right?!?   why so serious?

Probably, yes  smiley

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/latest-evidence/epidemiology
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:35:16 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39341 on: July 17, 2020, 04:06:56 AM

As a fun note, I got the results back from my antibody test. Apparently my antibody levels for SARS2 novel coronavirus aren't high enough for therapeutic use of my plasma, which means I don't know if I've had it or not and even if I did I'm probably not immune now.

I am a little worried that this could be dengue style thing where a low level of antibodies means that I'm still susceptible but my immune system will go into meltdown if I do get infected. Fun times.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39342 on: July 17, 2020, 09:49:27 AM

Assuming it's not a false positive (which can big a big assumption, depending) then you have had it. As for immunity that's still unclear. Even with low or no detectable antibody levels you still may be able to fight off a reinfection if your T-cells now respond to the virus.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #39343 on: July 22, 2020, 06:40:27 AM

Here is a good article about an airspace incident over Austria some time ago. (And I am not saying that because they featured my tweet)

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/35025/the-time-when-the-usaf-got-caught-trying-to-sneak-f-117s-through-austrian-airspace

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39344 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:59 PM

Do we have anyone at Spotify? Because I'm trying to figure out how I've been paying them for 5+ years since Rdio folded and they can't figure out a simple shared queue of songs between users.

We were doing this shit live with multiple users, multiple ingredients, multiple recipes at allrecipes to have a group of users share menus - It's literally just an object all permitted users can access to CRUD. I'm super confused how simple features take years when you're the ONLY service available anymore. Spotifly either has an absolute shit codebase or just doesn't give a shit. Google how to do a simple thing in their app; all you'll find is 4+ year old CS responses "thank you for your suggestion, this is not available at this time".

Ok, I'm done now. :(
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39345 on: July 23, 2020, 10:16:59 PM

Everything simple is ridiculously complicated when you have a massive mountain of tech debt.

(I don't work at or know anyone at Spotify, but I recognize the signs.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39346 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43:36 PM

It's more that they probably don't have people that care about those things. It's like how Slack has the shittiest and least customizable chat UI ever (not to mention it's a slowass dogshit JavaScript app). And don't get me started about how every major revision of Jira makes the UI even less usable than the previous one.

Edit: extra a
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:47:55 PM by Trippy »
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39347 on: July 24, 2020, 12:15:00 AM

And don't get me started about how every major revision of Jira makes the UI even less usable than the previous one.

Fuck yes!

This times a billion.

Fuck the 'new editing experience' on Confluence, and double fuck the new Jira UI. Especially double fuck the way they propagate the Jira UI changes to Tempo and fucked that up even worse than it already was.

if it was possible to kick tech companies repeatedly in the nuts, I'd be doing that to Atlassian right fucking now.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39348 on: July 24, 2020, 05:26:55 AM

As much as I love and use the shit out of Spotify as a service, as software they are utter dogshit. Just the (what should be simple) act of getting an export of your playlists is fucking impossible and even the 3rd party solutions I've seen out there don't fucking work when I was investigating it a few years ago. I don't know if it's laziness, stupidity or keeping your subscribed by making it difficult to port your lists of music to another service, but it's infuriating.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39349 on: July 24, 2020, 06:30:59 AM

Spotify isn't going to make it easy to export playlists because they want your money.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39350 on: July 24, 2020, 06:35:30 AM

Is there actual software out there that updates features, works well, and is well designed? Because my experience with software vendors is 'yeah we'll put it on the [feature/bug/honeydew] list' and that's the end of it.

We're getting pushed into new time management software after we basically handed them a point upgrade's worth of improvements that have all sat in 'planned feature release' status...since 2012. Or the experiences our staff is having with facebook. Everyone is doing livestreaming and pre-recorded videos while we're physically restricted, the entire UI has changed at least once in the last couple months and features will randomly work or not, buttons get moved around inexplicably. And that's before you get into phased rollouts, so half the staff is working on a different version.

And there is Google, the leader of killing off software randomly. Rolling Google Play Music into Youtube Music. I had begun uploading my collection into Google Music back before Play, I've got a huge amount of stuff on there. Now I can shift it over to YT Music for a limited time and then for a limited time enjoy free background streaming (which is 99% of how I used it). So it looks like I need to upload all my stuff again...to my own server (in fact, I'm kind of amazed at how many of these cool Internet things are turning into something I host myself because it's been removed or screwed up over the years).

I'd retire today if I could, just because the state of software development is complete garbage. Doesn't help that I can count on one hand the amount of competent techs I've worked with in my 20 year career. So many used car salesmen.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39351 on: July 24, 2020, 10:47:45 AM

Is there actual software out there that updates features, works well, and is well designed? Because my experience with software vendors is 'yeah we'll put it on the [feature/bug/honeydew] list' and that's the end of it.

All software has a lifecycle and decay is a part of that, there have been many successful software projects that managed to meet your criteria here for a decade or more.  I hear you though, it seems like so much software now is worse than it used to be and many of the web folks are just doing there thing in a bublle and very distant from their users.  The field has exploded and the supply of competent developers who give a shit about doing things to a certain standard (other than their own made up standard) has not kept up with the demand for them.  Also, not just devs, ux/design, project managers, product owners, execs a shortage of competency and a plethora of complete fakes  all around.    

I'd retire today if I could

I hear ya, If I was flying solo and in my current position I would liquidate every last fucking thing I own except for a weeks worth of clothes and go live a vastly simplified carefree life.  Tech is still fun for me but retirement would just give me the freedom and time to actually enjoy it.

And don't get me started about how every major revision of Jira makes the UI even less usable than the previous one.

It always was a piece of shit though, from the beginning they totally ignored all web/ux standards in favor of "what they thought was best".  They have been called out repeatedly for stupid design decisions and the answer is usually "Fuck you! Look at how successful our product is! We know what we are doing!".  I still wistfully remember using Redmine 10 years ago.  Of course that also hearkens to a time when I was able to use the project management software to increase my productivity, now it seems more to just be a tool to prove how necessary it is to maintain a 5 fuckwads to 1 developer ratio on the team.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:01:27 AM by Salamok »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39352 on: July 24, 2020, 12:00:46 PM

Facebook is notorious for absolutely fucking up their user and developer tools on a regular and completely unannounced schedule, and their tools have always been complete and utter shit. They will just up and change design specs even down to the size and ratio of images with no fucking warning, just because. Their latest branding changes are also fucking awful.

In short, Facebook needs to die.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39353 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:42 PM

It always was a piece of shit though, from the beginning they totally ignored all web/ux standards in favor of "what they thought was best".  They have been called out repeatedly for stupid design decisions and the answer is usually "Fuck you! Look at how successful our product is! We know what we are doing!".  I still wistfully remember using Redmine 10 years ago.  Of course that also hearkens to a time when I was able to use the project management software to increase my productivity, now it seems more to just be a tool to prove how necessary it is to maintain a 5 fuckwads to 1 developer ratio on the team.
Yes it's always been bad, even as Web UIs go, but it keeps getting worse over time. Important features are removed for some inexplicable reason, things are moved around or hidden inside "menus" or require switching display modes to reveal, and performance gets slower and slower. And whoever thought it was a good idea to replace the default font with one with non-equal width numbers is a fucking idiot.

Edit: whoever
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:06:44 PM by Trippy »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39354 on: July 24, 2020, 02:07:20 PM

We moved from Phabricator to Jira at work a few months ago and man does it feel like a major downgrade.  Phabricator very much has the "built by engineers for engineers" feeling which means it's not super pretty but it tends to show you the stuff you need to see to get your job done and otherwise do its best to stay out of your way.  Jira is basically a hate crime  by comparison.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #39355 on: July 26, 2020, 01:08:22 PM

Some folks at my office started making noises about moving from Clubhouse to Jira a few months ago. Thing is, a lot of my coworkers are ex-Atlassian so I'm not sure how aggro I can be on the subject while remaining politic.

I wound up just posting the image from this documentation page under "reasons not to switch" without further comment.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39356 on: July 27, 2020, 05:13:52 PM

I really don't know what to do about our 16-year old blind and deaf dog. He's cognitively impaired as well at this point--he just turns in tight circles until he collapses from dizziness and then he goes to sleep. He won't rest if someone tries to cuddle him--he used to--and he won't walk very far if he's taken out. Doesn't really seem to respond strongly to environmental smells. Still knows when I'm cooking but what he does is comes into the kitchen and then echolocates on me by circling until he hits flesh. Then he stands right behind me and hopes something will be fed into his mouth from whatever is being cooked. He was fantastically house-trained but he's incontinent now. I'm close to thinking we have to put him down but it isn't really about pain or suffering, and I don't want to do it because it's inconvenient. It would probably be worse if we were in the office every day, I don't know what he would do then. He's always slept with us and it's never been a terrible issue until now but now he often kicks and scratches for the first 15-30 minutes and then settles, but we tried him in a crate and it was howls and cries and incessant motion all night long. I don't know how to tell when "my life sucks" is something *he* feels as opposed to us remembering the sprightly lad who loved long walks and cuddles and playing with his toys and so on.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39357 on: July 27, 2020, 07:11:29 PM

Some folks at my office started making noises about moving from Clubhouse to Jira a few months ago. Thing is, a lot of my coworkers are ex-Atlassian so I'm not sure how aggro I can be on the subject while remaining politic.

Yeah, you're doomed. 

First one team is going to start using it and you'll think "well fine if it makes them happy, long as I don't have to deal with it." 

Then they'll start making noise about how confusing it is to have two different systems.  Then there'll be a period of "discussion" about standardization where most of the engineers say "please don't make us use Jira." 

Then the results of the discussion will be announced: surprise, the overwhelming consensus was for us to standardize on Jira!  Followed by be a hastily forced migration in which you will probably lose most of your data and break all of your workflows.

This has happened at every single software company I have worked at.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39358 on: July 27, 2020, 07:32:01 PM

I really don't know what to do about our 16-year old blind and deaf dog. He's cognitively impaired as well at this point--he just turns in tight circles until he collapses from dizziness and then he goes to sleep. He won't rest if someone tries to cuddle him--he used to--and he won't walk very far if he's taken out. Doesn't really seem to respond strongly to environmental smells. Still knows when I'm cooking but what he does is comes into the kitchen and then echolocates on me by circling until he hits flesh. Then he stands right behind me and hopes something will be fed into his mouth from whatever is being cooked. He was fantastically house-trained but he's incontinent now. I'm close to thinking we have to put him down but it isn't really about pain or suffering, and I don't want to do it because it's inconvenient. It would probably be worse if we were in the office every day, I don't know what he would do then. He's always slept with us and it's never been a terrible issue until now but now he often kicks and scratches for the first 15-30 minutes and then settles, but we tried him in a crate and it was howls and cries and incessant motion all night long. I don't know how to tell when "my life sucks" is something *he* feels as opposed to us remembering the sprightly lad who loved long walks and cuddles and playing with his toys and so on.

Is your dog happy? I mean, does this seem like a dog that enjoys being alive in this state?

We really struggled with one of our cats trying to get him better. The last six months of his life were a real slog. I don't regret the twice-day intravenous fluids that he didn't like. Ultimately though, we were spending more than an hour a day caring for him alone and it really wore us down. He got really bad when my dad died and I was gone for six weeks. I pretty much got home from burying my dad and had to send my favorite cat off a week later. 

Couple recommendations here. When it's time, be there with your dog. I think it's extremely important for their well being at the end. Also, some vets will do house calls for the service. It's really the best way for them to go, if an option. It's expensive, but the dog has no worries about being at the vet or anything, just goes to sleep and we bear the stress, not the animal.

One of our first cats we took to the vet and he was sick, but not quite gone. I asked the vet how to know when it's time to make that decision. He said "you'll make the decision about two weeks after the right time". I thought that was a super callous and shitty thing to say. When I look back, though, he would be right for just about all of our animals. Especially the cats with kidney or liver failure, they usually don't snap out of that and trying to get them better just has never worked for us.

Whatever you do, I feel for you and the family. Losing pets just just about the hardest thing I have done. It never really gets easier.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39359 on: July 27, 2020, 07:59:46 PM

It's so hard to figure. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He basically seems like an elderly relative who has Alzheimer's--if you give him his three squares a day, he's ok, but most of his day is turning in tight circles and walking like a zombie behind me if he smells something good cooking. And then being kind of fighty and annoyed when we try to get him to sleep even if he's plainly exhausted from turning in circles and his walk. Also: no walks EVER at night, he fucking freaks out (I think his blindness still lets him see whether it's day or night or light or dark), no walks if it's raining (he's never liked that), and no walks if it's very cold or very hot. Plus incontinence. It's just, well, I don't think he's grossly unhappy or aware of his diminishment, it's just us.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39360 on: July 27, 2020, 08:22:00 PM

Are you using Proin for the incontinence, if possible? Prescription from your vet for bladder control. That and Carprofen for our 12yo German Shepard Dog turned her into about a five yo dog again, within twelve hours she was a new dog.

It’s a tough situation, but if the dog seems happy and not in pain, then it just becomes up to your quality of life, too.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39361 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:28 PM

My 14-year old Fluffy is blind with cataracts, has diabetes and a little arthritis and is probably going into dementia. He still gets up and goes walking with me so he's not having the incontinence issues (though he does seem to do it in the kitchen sometimes when he's mad we won't feed him our food). Every walk he'll get stuck in a circle for a little while, but I just keep gently pulling him until he gets somewhere that his nose recognizes enough for him to straighten out. When he gets really excited, he is running into things but he isn't really hurting himself yet. Some days he will only eat a little bit of food by himself but if I hand feed him, he'll eat most if not all of his bowl. He tends to have those bad days when it's raining or about to rain, which is probably his arthritis.

As long as he's not in pain and not injuring himself, as long as he's still eating, if you can handle the messes, handle them. I look at it this way, having had to put down my first dog of my own last year - I'm going to do what I can to keep him with me as long as I can. He's not the same cuddly dog he was - he used to sleep in the bed all night, snuggled up against me or my wife. Now we're lucky if he stays in bed asleep for an hour. But I'll keep him going as long as I can and try to make him as comfortable as possible until I can't anymore.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #39362 on: July 27, 2020, 10:20:31 PM

Hawkbit's vet's callous comment strikes home.

Our ancient Golden Retriever must have been 17 or maybe more when she finally couldn't go on anymore. But even then a month before she would still break into a trot sometimes. But I still had to assist her up and down the porch stairs, and had to do that most of the last year of her life. I even built a ramp for her -- that she was terrified of and wouldn't use. I have no idea, the other dogs thought it was great fun and would run up and down it uncoerced.

Honestly I wanted her to pass unassisted, but she was just too stubborn for that, and when she collapsed on the floor and couldn't move anymore I realized that I had waited too long.

Khaldun, if the dog isn't in pain and still likes the taste of food then I would certainly take care of him as best as possible for his last days. It's the least we can do for the love and loyalty they give us for all of our days. But just watch for signs that you are in that two week too long time. And be there to say goodbye.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39363 on: July 27, 2020, 10:36:43 PM

Dammit you guys  Heartbreak

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39364 on: July 28, 2020, 04:23:45 AM

Can we post the dying pet stuff in the Depressing Pet Death thread so the rest of us don't need our hearts broken randomly?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #39365 on: July 28, 2020, 04:25:59 PM

Cry

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39366 on: July 28, 2020, 07:58:29 PM

We moved from Phabricator to Jira at work a few months ago and man does it feel like a major downgrade.  Phabricator very much has the "built by engineers for engineers" feeling which means it's not super pretty but it tends to show you the stuff you need to see to get your job done and otherwise do its best to stay out of your way.  Jira is basically a hate crime  by comparison.

The main issue with Jira/Confluence is that Atlassian just buys up anyone with a remotely adjacent product and crowbars it into their suite without worrying about trivialities like UX, or interoperability.

We had a new guy on our team last week and we use Tempo to log our work so he asked me how to do that. It took me ten minutes to figure out how to get to Tempo from Jira (on my machine I just leave it open in a pinned browser tab).

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39367 on: July 28, 2020, 08:13:57 PM

I spun up a new Trello board to organize multiple major repairs to our house. First time I’ve used in in a few years. Was surprised to see it now an Atlassian product but also surprised it hadn’t been touched too much by them. Seems the same as four years ago.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #39368 on: July 28, 2020, 08:30:16 PM

Rational. I still have to use Rational for things.  Argh! Our documentation solution for this (unannounced) product is even worse. Fuck me, it's bad. I yearn for the days of Confluence.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39369 on: July 28, 2020, 09:25:35 PM

Like Jira, Confluence isn't what it was. Basically once they got rid of mark up mode a few years back it's been a steep decline. They even decided to get rid of the ability to make links within a document for things like footnotes recently (which were already made more difficulty than earlier versions) because reasons.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39370 on: July 28, 2020, 10:08:31 PM

If it weren't for the stranglehold Atlassian has on the industry I would go back to Redmine.  Literally the only impressive thing I've seen Jira do is handle 15k+ users, most of em active weekly if not daily and about the only positive change i've seen out of them is renaming "stash" which IIRC is what they were calling their bitbucket piece originally before they bought bitbucket. 
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #39371 on: July 30, 2020, 03:19:28 AM

Get a mustache guys!

471 - Because the young ladies admire it

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39372 on: July 30, 2020, 04:42:02 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39373 on: July 30, 2020, 08:27:27 AM

If we're doing that, I'll see your Seth MacFarlane and raise you John McCrea: https://vimeo.com/34356835

schild
Administrator

Reply #39374 on: July 30, 2020, 12:02:30 PM

because the young ladies admire it
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: