Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400756 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39305 on: May 14, 2020, 08:01:03 AM

I had a big 40+ year old ash tree in the "parkway" space between the sidewalk and the street in front of my house when I bought it. Gave the house a lot of shade in the mornings as it was on the east side. It did drop a ridiculous amount of leaves in the fall.

But a couple of years after I bought the house, the city came through and removed all of the ash trees in the neighborhood because of there had been emerald ash borers found on the block. RIP

But they did plant a replacement tree (and a replacment for that when it didn't survive the first mega hot summer, and a replacement for that one when it didn't last the winter) free of charge too.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39306 on: May 14, 2020, 12:23:18 PM

I'm contemplating blanketing my yard with fir trees and never mowing again, to be honest.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39307 on: May 14, 2020, 12:43:11 PM

When we owned, the neighbors were really great about this. He and I walked the property line, discussed the trees, mutually decided to take them down (one was leaning into his yard, another had some kind of fungus, a third we both thought was ugly) and then split the cost. He was very cool about the hippie shit I kept doing near the line as well--multiple birdhouses on poles, fig trees, butterfly bushes, an attempt at a lavender garden (never works, they die off every 1.5 years or so), a little shade garden with carved stone figures because my daughter wanted a "magic garden". I sort of miss doing all that yard stuff except that I really don't.  He planted some maples that would eventually shade out a garden I'd planted in full sun but that was fine, it was going to be 10 years before that happened and I accurately expected that we'd likely sell before then anyway and the next owner would probably want to rip up that sun garden anyway because it was pretty amateurish.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39308 on: May 15, 2020, 10:33:37 AM

I'm contemplating blanketing my yard with fir trees and never mowing again, to be honest.

Swimming pools are a great way to kill your yard!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39309 on: May 16, 2020, 05:11:41 PM

Swimming pools are a great an expensive way to kill your yard!
FIFY

I'd love to have a pool, but the oncoming depression and high likelihood of job loss says no.

Also, we have lots of trees in the woods behind and next door, so it would be a chore to keep clean. I do know a pool guy, though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39310 on: May 16, 2020, 10:13:43 PM

Happy (belated) World Whisky Day! awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39311 on: May 17, 2020, 09:24:35 AM

You lucky motherfucker.

I've been looking for any kind of special scotch bottlings around here and I just don't think our state ABC even bothers to buy them. It's all just the most well-known brands with an occasional 2nd or 3rd bottle of slightly older whiskys.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39312 on: May 17, 2020, 12:16:25 PM

Why does it come in lab sample bottles though? I bet those are from a Wuhan whisky lab. You won't hear about those on the fake lamestream media!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39313 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19:40 PM

Actually, they look like those little single-serve ketchup bottles you get for room service in high end hotels.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39314 on: May 17, 2020, 12:48:20 PM

https://drinksbythedram.com/
https://drinksbythedram.com/collections/advent-calendars

The two above are from this one:

https://drinksbythedram.com/collections/advent-calendars/products/the-premium-whisky-advent-calendar

Edit: also The Whisky Exchange sells miniatures and samples:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/miniatures-and-samples

I imported a bunch of whisk(e)y right before the tariffs went into effect and am still slowly working my way through them
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:55:30 PM by Trippy »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39315 on: May 17, 2020, 03:41:18 PM

I would strangle a hobo to be able to have liquor shipped directly to my house. There is so much out there that I just can't get in stores here.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39316 on: May 17, 2020, 06:24:52 PM

I would strangle a hobo to be able to have liquor shipped directly to my house. There is so much out there that I just can't get in stores here.

Fine Drams just says fuck it and ship whatever to any state, if it gets confiscated the loss is on you.  Success rate is apparently in the multiple 9's.  There is some markup due to the multiple trips over seas  but it isn't as bad as you might think (and certainly better than the secondary market). 
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39317 on: May 17, 2020, 06:36:20 PM

Fine Drams just says fuck it and ship whatever to any state, if it gets confiscated the loss is on you.  Success rate is apparently in the multiple 9's.  There is some markup due to the multiple trips over seas  but it isn't as bad as you might think (and certainly better than the secondary market). 
USPIS isn't very worried about personal consumption levels of spirits, and Customs not much more. The success rate for fentanyl shipments is better than 9/10 to a new address, as I hear it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39318 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:11 AM

They used to be, though. I remember having to help a friend get some South African wine out of the big Customs setup in New Jersey--they basically wanted him to pay for an importer's license for one crate of 24 bottles. That was 25 years ago, though.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #39319 on: May 21, 2020, 12:11:06 AM

Actually, they look like those little single-serve ketchup bottles you get for room service in high end hotels.

--Dave

That was my take.  Metal lids on a lab sample is pretty rare in my experience.  I hope the hooch was super yummy though!

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39320 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:41 AM

Nothing like waking up with a dry cough all morning...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Luckily, the pollen count here is outrageous so has to be allergies since the wife and I have been pretty diligent in staying home and keeping our trips to the stores to absolute minimum and haven't had any physical social contacts. Allergy pill has stopped the hacking, but I could do without the anxiety at every sniffle and throat clearing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39321 on: May 21, 2020, 09:35:21 AM

Yeah, my daughter suddenly had a dry cough a couple days ago and we all got nervous until we looked at the pollen count, which was through the roof that day.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39322 on: June 14, 2020, 10:26:32 AM

So over the years we've had a couple tailless chipmunks in the yard. We call 'em "Stubtail." Not a huge deal, just a little quirk of the house over the years.

This year I noticed we had a squirrel take the role.

Today he came close to the house. Dude is also a tripod (missing front right leg) and my new hero. That's some impressive skill.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39323 on: June 17, 2020, 11:47:30 AM

Moved mask discussion to General COVID-19 thread: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=26159.msg1542899#msg1542899
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #39324 on: June 17, 2020, 09:12:17 PM

Looks like I have high blood pressure and the doc wants to put me on an ACE inhibitor. Anyone else had experience with that stuff?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39325 on: June 18, 2020, 02:31:10 PM

I take Lisinopril. Haven't really had any side effects except the occasional dry cough, mostly when I first started it.

Obviously a bit nervous right now on the rumors that people taking ACE inhibitors are more vulnerable to covid complications. But at the moment, I don't know how you'd begin to separate that out from "people with high blood pressure" are vulnerable to covid complications without an asston of data that we don't have.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #39326 on: June 22, 2020, 05:52:14 AM

Useless Conversation, emphasis on useless:

Watching "Earth Final Conflict" S01E06

Do Amish pray in German?

Their prayer (in the show) starts off with:

Vater unser im Himmel,
geheiligt werde dein Name.
Dein Reich komme.

in Ewigkeit, Amen.

Which is, Vater Unser, in, well, German...

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39327 on: June 22, 2020, 06:05:16 AM

Many of the Amish and Mennonite communities in America have Germanic origins.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39328 on: June 22, 2020, 06:13:50 AM

Around here they're dutch, but that sounds like ze deutsch ja.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39329 on: June 22, 2020, 06:16:09 AM

I spoke too soon - it's more like Swiss German Anabaptist origins for the Amish, and the Mennonites were from Friesland in the Netherlands according to Wikipedia.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39330 on: June 22, 2020, 11:28:33 AM

Mennonites are much more complicated than Amish in this respect. Despite the connection to the Netherlands, the most inward-turning and self-isolating Mennonite groups speak what's called "Pennsylvania German" (to make it a bigger headache, it's also called 'Pennsylvania Dutch', but it's not Dutch, it's a German dialect that has Dutch mixed into it.) This is even true outside of Pennsylvania and in fact outside of the US. But there are Mennonites who don't live in those more inward-facing, self-isolating communities for whom it's really just a church they go to. Plus--bigger headache!--there were Mennonites living in Germany and Ukraine who left right at the end of World War 2 to go elsewhere (notably Paraguay and Uruguay but also the US) because they had actually collaborated with the Nazis who today speak Pennsylvania German/"low German".
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39331 on: June 22, 2020, 12:24:54 PM

Pretty sure the ones here migrated up from PA, buying farms as they spread. Saving a ton of small family farms from going to seed, amazing produce stands. Usual problems from fairly closed communities, the main thing we outsiders hear about is horse abuse (probably because we see their horses regularly). We have several that some to the library regularly, nice folks but I get the sense of a lot more crazy shit going on behind their eyes (the women seem afraid and the men seem angry).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39332 on: June 23, 2020, 07:59:19 AM

I feel like my choice to make our last set of Apple purchases last year was incredibly good timing. Their rate of forced obsolescence has become comical (said purchases were due to that, as were the last several rounds of purchasing), and now we have a new architecture coming down the pike. It went so smoothly last time. Good riddance.

I'll pour a 40 out for the years of reduced support calls, but it's irresponsible to buy Apple for the library now.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39333 on: July 06, 2020, 07:16:26 AM

Trying to convince my daughter to abandon Apple and go Android in her coming phone upgrade. It's a hard sell for her.

Startling to feel really restless and frustrated and a bit hopeless for the first time in all of this. In a way it's good that it's as hot and humid and unpleasant as it is outside, because I'd otherwise really just want to go somewhere, anywhere, despite knowing better.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39334 on: July 12, 2020, 09:52:52 PM

I feel like my choice to make our last set of Apple purchases last year was incredibly good timing. Their rate of forced obsolescence has become comical (said purchases were due to that, as were the last several rounds of purchasing), and now we have a new architecture coming down the pike. It went so smoothly last time. Good riddance.

I'll pour a 40 out for the years of reduced support calls, but it's irresponsible to buy Apple for the library now.

I have loved Microsoft for decades and although I found the forced ribbon experience offensive that pales in comparison to the huge pile of shit their products have become in the last few years.  I'm fairly sure Windows 10 is my last consumer Microsoft purchase and will most likely avoid them when possible on the business side as well.  Maybe I am just old and bitter that the world I knew is moving on.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39335 on: July 12, 2020, 10:48:30 PM

Trying to convince my daughter to abandon Apple and go Android in her coming phone upgrade. It's a hard sell for her.

Startling to feel really restless and frustrated and a bit hopeless for the first time in all of this. In a way it's good that it's as hot and humid and unpleasant as it is outside, because I'd otherwise really just want to go somewhere, anywhere, despite knowing better.

My only Apple experience has been an iPad, but I just upgraded my phone from a Samsung Galaxy S7 (bought 2016) to an LG V40 ThinQ (late 2018/early 2019 LG flagship), a very heavily discounted Android phone right now. Going here for about AUD$500 (US$350) outright.

I've had a really good time doing so. The screen is an outstanding OLED 1440p, the fingerprint reader never skips a beat, it has face unlock if you want it, and the phone is fast, not far behind current flagships. If you want a cheap entry point for her to try a decent Android phone, I'd recommend it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39336 on: July 13, 2020, 06:36:37 AM

I'm still waiting for a reason to upgrade my S7+. And by waiting, I mean happy I don't have to be on the upgrade treadmill.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39337 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:53 AM

I got an iphone X 2.5 years ago.  In theory, I would like to get a new phone, and maybe even and Android phone.  Problem is, shit just isn’t improving in any important ways anymore.  Somebody needs to invent something new.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39338 on: July 13, 2020, 12:11:17 PM

I've had my free iPhone 8 (promo at Tmobile BOGO) for the last 3 years and haven't seen a need to upgrade. I like the smaller profile for portability, but I also like my wife's 8+ size for ease of reading and playing puzzle games. But I'm with Cyrrex, everything now-a-days is just too overpriced and uninspired. I really hoped the Samsung side screen thing would have taken off, but that flamed out before anyone I knew even saw one. Other than the flexible screen stuff, I don't see anything I am excited about.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #39339 on: July 13, 2020, 03:13:12 PM

Co-worker who I worked  with in the field on a boat 12 days ago is out sick with Covid symptoms.  He got tested we are waiting on the results.  

Fun fucking times

*edit* well tonight marks a full two weeks since I worked with him so everything must be OK.. Right?.... Right?!?   why so serious?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:06:14 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: