Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400224 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38920 on: July 26, 2019, 11:00:50 AM

Georgians rejoice!  Sam's Burgers (of San Francisco) is expanding to Atlanta.  Bizarrely.  I always think of it as "that place you go in North Beach when the bars have closed and you need something to soak up liquor" but apparently Bourdain made it world-famous.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/sams-of-san-francisco-midtown/

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #38921 on: July 27, 2019, 12:34:28 AM

To that end Shake Shack is opening here in Salt Lake City!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38922 on: July 27, 2019, 12:44:37 AM

You already have In-N-Out Burger, though.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38923 on: July 27, 2019, 09:21:07 AM

You guys and your chains....

Ohhhhh, I see.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #38924 on: July 27, 2019, 11:39:08 AM

Buying a car at a dealership is fuck stupid.

- Viin
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38925 on: July 27, 2019, 05:14:39 PM

Shake Shack is the worst of the burger chains, IMO. Five Guys and Smashburger both blow them away, and I'd even pick McDonalds over Shake Shack.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38926 on: July 27, 2019, 05:26:27 PM

and I'd even pick McDonalds over Shake Shack.
Head scratch
schild
Administrator

Reply #38927 on: July 28, 2019, 10:28:04 AM

Five Guys crushes Shake Shack, sure. But McDs over shake shack is weird nonsense.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38928 on: July 28, 2019, 04:51:51 PM

Shake Shack is overpriced and highly variable in quality. The fries are also much worse than McDs. At least at McDonalds you know exactly what you're getting.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38929 on: July 28, 2019, 09:38:16 PM

Shake Shack is overpriced and highly variable in quality. The fries are also much worse than McDs.
At least they are edible, though, unlike In-N-Out's.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38930 on: July 29, 2019, 07:18:51 AM

We don't have In-N-Out over on the east coast.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38931 on: July 29, 2019, 07:30:11 AM

I avoid fast food almost completely. It's tough because the fiancee basically subsists on it.

I also slip on a monocle as I grind my own chuck/brisket blend. Because wtf people.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38932 on: July 29, 2019, 07:41:18 AM

Fast food is absolutely bottom-tier food option for me.  I'll take the sketchiest-looking independent burger place over a McDonald's because at the very least they're probably not leaving their food out under a heat lamp.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38933 on: July 29, 2019, 07:50:34 AM

I eat McD's once a year just to remind myself what I am missing out on.

I miss the flavor of the fries and oddly, the cheese on the burgers.
I do not miss the devastation to my digestive tract.

There is a 5Guys a block or two away from McD's here along with a ton of Asian lunch (fast food) joints, Chipotle, local lunch spots, etc. which I visit any other time of the year. But that is about the extreme of me eating anything resembling fast food. It's strange that as I am getting older, I really am turned off by the commercial fast food places.

But back on topic, IMHO, Jack in the Box had the best burger with that Sourdough Jack meal - but I only got that when I was at LSU. For my youth, nothing better than Mr. Hero if you were willing to pay the price afterwards.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38934 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:55 AM

Discussion of fast food chains invariably makes me sad, so here are some cheap-ass hole in the wall burger places that I'd put up against any fast food joint.  Post your own local faves!

The Alameda Grill, literally a hole in a wall attached to a bike shop, with one sad plastic picnic table outside for seating.  I used to eat here once a week when I worked in Alameda.  Look at that fuckin' tasty burger.

Sam's, one of the top three burgers in the world according to Bourdain.

Beep's Burgers, my neighborhood joint. 

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38935 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:58 AM

Fast food is weird for me. I'm also an indy eatery kind of guy, and I always cook at home from mostly scratch. But every once in a while, almost always on car trips, I get a crazy craving for crap food.

Just last week I stopped at a Krystals (southern White Castle) and gobbled down a four burger combo with cheese all by myself in the truck while driving.

It was delicious.

Eat
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38936 on: July 29, 2019, 10:39:34 PM

Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago is a nice little quick burger, and in a decent location in downtown. Part of the novelty (for me, anyway) is that you have to go down to gritty lower Michigan Ave. I actually wish they had more stuff down there.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #38937 on: July 29, 2019, 11:18:01 PM

Fast food is weird for me. I'm also an indy eatery kind of guy, and I always cook at home from mostly scratch. But every once in a while, almost always on car trips, I get a crazy craving for crap food.

Just last week I stopped at a Krystals (southern White Castle) and gobbled down a four burger combo with cheese all by myself in the truck while driving.

It was delicious.

Eat
krystals is not garbage and it's delicious

mcdonalds mistake was ever pretending to have integrity

Krystals got none.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38938 on: July 29, 2019, 11:26:59 PM

I think picking on McDonalds is not understanding McDonalds.  Their whole schtick is about the fact that a Quarter Pounder you buy in Detroit tastes exactly the same as a Quarter Pounder you buy in Berlin.  Their are regional menu variances and whatnot, but reproducing the same experience every time is at the core of what they are.  This fact, plus the nature of the menu itself, appeals hugely to kids as well.

And the math would indicate that most of you have probably eaten a metric ton of McDs over the course of your lives and are full of shit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #38939 on: July 29, 2019, 11:29:39 PM

Nam Sai on the street. Sitting on plastic chairs at a plastic table, with the traffic about 3 inches from your back.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38940 on: July 29, 2019, 11:33:12 PM

I think picking on McDonalds is not understanding McDonalds.  Their whole schtick is about the fact that a Quarter Pounder you buy in Detroit tastes exactly the same as a Quarter Pounder you buy in Berlin.  Their are regional menu variances and whatnot, but reproducing the same experience every time is at the core of what they are.  This fact, plus the nature of the menu itself, appeals hugely to kids as well.

And the math would indicate that most of you have probably eaten a metric ton of McDs over the course of your lives and are full of shit.
I have eaten McDonald's once in the last 15 years (or more? I lost count a while ago). It was like 8 french fries from my wife's cardboard container.

Yes, everyone understands the core of McDonald's is reproducing the McDonald's experience everywhere. That's basically the core of every worldwide chain with thousands of locations. Subway bread is subway bread. Wendy's burgers are square. Burger King is is trash everywhere. Taco Bell is Taco Bell. We get it. Literally fucking everybody gets it.

Additionally, of COURSE all of us have eaten a metric fuck ton of mcds. We were all raised by Boomers or early Gen X folks.

They eat like garbage and have shit taste.

The fuck is your point?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38941 on: July 30, 2019, 12:20:06 AM

Everyone knows it, sure, and other chains aspire to it.  But McDonald's pulls it off in a way none of the other chains seem to be able to.  I prefer Burger King, for example, but I also know that on any given day in every given restaurant...I don't really know what kind of Whopper I am getting.  There's a range.  This is more apparent outside of the US, so YMMV.  Subway bread is not Subway bread everywhere.

My point?  I don't know.  I just have a strange peeve about things like this where people put on their berets and compare something like McDonald's to something like Five Guys or whatever.  Knowing full well that almost all of the beret wearers eat the ever-loving shit out of McDonalds, despite being so adamant in their disgust.  It rings hollow.  My default setting is disbelief.

Edit:  Just to add, I mean to the world in general, not necessarily what people are or are not saying here.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:27:52 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38942 on: July 30, 2019, 05:35:58 AM

I'm not a huge burger person in general, but when I do want one I'm going to go to Five Guys over most others.

I've tried the boutique ones like Flipburger, Grubburger, etc. My wife likes Smashburger, and I don't.

There are times I want McD's on the road, but I honestly will pick Taco Bell 6 times out of 10 because I unapologetically love Taco Bell.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38943 on: July 30, 2019, 06:39:15 AM

My wife requested McD a couple weeks ago to try their international burger thing. She hated it. I got a quarter pounder, and it was pretty bad. The fries were worse than I remembered.

I occasionally enjoy fast food, greasy badness can be great. McD is just bad. A bad White Castle is better than McDonalds.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38944 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:38 AM

Anthony Bourdain pretty much has the first and last word when it comes to fast food in Budapest (it's an eatery about 1.5km from where I grew up). Sorry for the shitty quality, I couldn't find a better recording on the intarwebs... https://youtu.be/g4MoD2NYnUM?t=88
That's pretty much what everyone is eating over here for lunch etc, though the portions are not necessarily as crazy. The cholesterol content and general unhealthiness is definitely on point, though.

Here are some pics from my recent favorite lunch place (apparently foursquare is still a thing?)

Hungary doesn't have that many fast food chains now that I think about it. There's McD's / KFC / BK all over, there are a few Subways and Pizza Huts here and there, and that's about it...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:08:13 AM by Zetor »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38945 on: July 30, 2019, 11:26:32 AM

That Budapest place looks amazing. And apparently they understand proper portion size over there!

Related to that, there is a passable BBQ joint near me that I grab takeout from from time to time. Good BBQ but this time I was in the mood for their burger. We both had lots of background noise during the phone call and instead of ordering a burger all the way like I usually do I said yes to "The Deluxe." Turns out the trick with 'The Deluxe" is they pile a scoop of BBQ on top of the burger with everything else.

Now, I love BBQ and as I said theirs is passable. They also have a good burger. But piling one on top of the other is not good eats. That is just a smashup for people with taste that has been deteriorated by a lifetime of salt and cheap hot sauce.

So I scraped it off and ate the burger alone, then grabbed some bread and made another sandwich with the BBQ, ate that and the fries, and was good for nothing for the rest of the day....
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38946 on: July 30, 2019, 11:32:44 AM

When you say they put BBQ on top of your burger, do you mean pulled pork? I've never heard/used barbecue to refer to a specific food before.

schild
Administrator

Reply #38947 on: July 30, 2019, 12:02:57 PM

When you say they put BBQ on top of your burger, do you mean pulled pork? I've never heard/used barbecue to refer to a specific food before.

it could mean fucking anything, a man can't just throw the letters B B and Q into a sentence without modifiers and expect people to know what the fuck is going on.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38948 on: July 30, 2019, 12:08:03 PM

Sigh... Pardon the regionalism, but yes around here BBQ used alone defaults to pulled pork with a sauce.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38949 on: July 30, 2019, 12:26:48 PM

I only got there because I couldn't think of any other barbecue dish that could conceivably be served atop a burger.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38950 on: July 30, 2019, 01:05:30 PM

What's wrong with BBQ brisket on top of a burger?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38951 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:11 PM

There used to be a Chinese/American fusion place in Alameda that served BBQ ribs over hand-pulled garlic noodles.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38952 on: July 30, 2019, 04:37:12 PM

Crave Burger in Colorado does the Three Little Pigs burger with pulled pork, bacon, and a slice of smoked ham. Plus cheese, smoked ketchup, and onion rings. It's awesome.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38953 on: July 30, 2019, 05:45:42 PM

Yeah I guess it's just a matter of taste. I've always felt that a good burger, like a good steak, doesn't need to have any other meat piled on it. Nothing wrong with something like surf and turf, and I'll give a pass to bacon (that's a condiment!), but loading on a big dollop of brisket is just ruining both flavors.

Clearly, this may very well be a minority opinion.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38954 on: July 30, 2019, 05:46:51 PM

Yeah I guess it's just a matter of taste. I've always felt that a good burger, like a good steak, doesn't need to have any other meat piled on it. Nothing wrong with something like surf and turf, and I'll give a pass to bacon (that's a condiment!), but loading on a big dollop of brisket is just ruining both flavors.

Clearly, this may very well be a minority opinion.

I'd say it would depend on the meat used in the burger, but then we are getting into the fashion burger spots.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: