Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 [1098] 1099 1100 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400856 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #38395 on: March 21, 2019, 07:30:10 AM

I mean, livestreaming your own immolation would definitely get you Internet points.
It finally went out. Then Shell started leaking benzene. Although in all fairness to Shell, the leak was below OSHA "oh shit" levels and restricted the immediate sector of the plant where they make the stuff, so it's not like it was sniffing around my neighborhood.

I really should move.

You really should.  https://abc13.com/shelter-in-place-issued-for-personnel-around-itc-facility/5209552/
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38396 on: March 21, 2019, 10:25:55 AM

Yes. $15 for a double of whiskey and coke...

As someone who has been to cocktail bars in London, that's pretty reasonable.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38397 on: March 22, 2019, 09:26:42 AM

That one pissed me off, especially the road closures. They had like two monitors outside the plant proper (the fire and leak being miles from any home) report spikes just above 1ppm. Two widely separated monitors. And decided road closures and shelter-in-place were in order.

You can't even smell benzene until 1.5 ppm (and that's if you're super sensitive, it's 5ppm before everyone can smell it) and you smell benzene every time you fill up your car. Those two spots could have been a leaky gas station, the amount was so small. OSHA is absolutely fine with 1ppm, as long as your average exposure over a workday doesn't go higher. Short-term exposures can be higher and they're fine with it.

They issued that because a bunch of people have given themselves psychosomatic symptoms from the fire from worrying about it too much, and some people were panicking. Even though the prevailing winds were lifting the smoke from the  fire, at least, up and away from Deer Park and the symptomatic people worrying themselves into illness. (At least with the benzene, the wind was towards Deer Park)

There's actual real shit those refineries make that warrant shelter-in-place and evacuation, but 1ppm of fucking benzene two miles apart from each other with every monitor in between fine is not one of them, and this kind of crap just makes everyone who didn't panic take the next warning less seriously.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38398 on: March 22, 2019, 09:29:22 AM

So I got into following the Iditarod this year because of a musher I follow on Twitter.

One of the best things about following along on Twitter is the follow-ups she's been posting about why certain dogs were dropped along the way, especially the dog named Colbert (yes, after Stephen Colbert.  He's the only Catholic dog on the team).  He made it through over 80% of the race but then got into the sled at a rest stop and ate 15 pounds of chicken skins.

No ragrats.

Apparently, this dog was put on a diet for the race because he's a bottomless pit of eating (usually you have to make the dogs eat, I guess).  When he got to Nome to wait for Blair to arrive, he conned the volunteer watching him into giving three meals at once ("well, he seemed like he wanted more")

Yeah, probably no one else cares, but it's been fascinating learning about mushing and the dogs and seeing videos about the training and them running.  I'd mostly heard the stories of how the dogs are abused (and I'm sure it happens with the skeevy sorts) but seeing the dogs just jumping and barking and striving to pull when they're hooked up is kind of crazy. 

Oh, and the races are usually run using Alaskan Huskies, which are more of a mutt breed than Siberian Huskies.  Just looking at these dogs compared to a house pet?  Definitely sleek, superior athletes.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38399 on: March 22, 2019, 03:40:38 PM

Goddammit, it's all on fire again.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38400 on: March 22, 2019, 04:24:46 PM

It's out again.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38401 on: March 22, 2019, 04:34:20 PM

That's called blinking!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38402 on: March 22, 2019, 05:14:40 PM

The number of insane people flipping their shit about this whole thing on Facebook and Twitter is ridiculous. You got people panicking over maybe 1ppm exposure to benzene, when that happens every time they fill a car. Some other idiot was holding a small piece of burnt something and claiming it's raining down "all over the city". Bitch I live here, and I'm in the quadrant of the closest to this thing, and it's not raining ash..

Other people seem to be literally making themselves ill through sheer fear and paranoia, and the total bullshit that is spreading over it is crazy. Some guy was panicking because he was within 20 miles of the plant and was worried he might get cancer because of the benzene leak. The worst level monitored outside the plant proper was less than you get gassing up your car.

What a mess. And there are actually super dangerous chemicals those plants handle. Heck, one about two miles further down the road from me is (or at least was 10 years ago) the biggest production plant for cyanide in the US.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38403 on: March 22, 2019, 08:38:41 PM

People almost universally handle hazards poorly. It's either massive overreaction like you're seeing, or a complete sense of invulnerability. I work in plants like those fairly often, and it's always one or the other.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #38404 on: March 23, 2019, 03:02:03 AM

15$ for a double?  Ha.  I was charged $17.50 for a single serving of Buileit Rye, which I can buy here for $27 a bottle.  That is in no way a top shelf brand.  And that was in Brooklyn!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #38405 on: March 23, 2019, 07:09:19 AM

My personal favourite was Malaysia, where most of the local staff would come into work at 10am (office hours starting at 9), proceed to waste time on facebook etc., until about 12 (with an 11am break for prayers). They would then go off for prayer and lunch, get back about 2 and then continue wasting time until 5. At that point they would actually get on to their emails, answer everything and get some tasks done until 8.30 or so befor finishing for the day. They would consistently complain about doing 12 hour shifts (ignoring that they started late or had breaks) and congratulate themselves on being so much harder working than Indonesians.

This would all be hilarious if you weren't sending emails at 9am and then getting a reply at 5.45 and having to stay late because fucking hell you couldn't get anything done earlier. I was lucky to not be so reliant on working with Malaysian colleagues for that kind of thing. South East Asian office culture is fun, Vietnam still very much has a siesta culture where everyone has a nap for a couple of hours after lunch.

I sent this to my Mom and she loved reading it. Though that's not surprising considering she's Singaporean Chinese and lives in KL awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38406 on: March 26, 2019, 08:34:08 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38407 on: March 30, 2019, 10:44:29 AM

Anyone (especially in Texas) have any experience with traffic attorneys? I have a pretty clean driving record (one ticket about two years ago for speeding), but had something of an "oops" moment when I almost lane changed into a motorcycle cop.

He was...not pleased. Very professional, but not pleased. I literally never saw the guy. Terrified the shit out of me. I could have hit that guy. I still don't know where he came from or how the fuck he ended up in my blind spot, not that it really matters.

I got two citations for that (both moving violations). So my experience is "defensive driving the first one, deferred disposition the second -- or is it the other way around? -- and eat 500 in fines" but I wonder if it's worth talking to a traffic attorney over? I've literally had no experience with one, don't even know what the charge is for a consult.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38408 on: March 30, 2019, 04:13:54 PM

Just talking with my buddy from college and we were chatting about me having The Joy Division bouncing around my ear. Pull open the interwebs and found this:

https://www.spin.com/2019/03/the-cure-perform-get-inducted-into-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-by-trent-reznor/

We had a little too REAL conversation about the induction speech from Trent and just how fucking old we've become. Going to be a long introspective evening...  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38409 on: March 30, 2019, 04:26:05 PM

Anyone (especially in Texas) have any experience with traffic attorneys? I have a pretty clean driving record (one ticket about two years ago for speeding), but had something of an "oops" moment when I almost lane changed into a motorcycle cop.

He was...not pleased. Very professional, but not pleased. I literally never saw the guy. Terrified the shit out of me. I could have hit that guy. I still don't know where he came from or how the fuck he ended up in my blind spot, not that it really matters.

I got two citations for that (both moving violations). So my experience is "defensive driving the first one, deferred disposition the second -- or is it the other way around? -- and eat 500 in fines" but I wonder if it's worth talking to a traffic attorney over? I've literally had no experience with one, don't even know what the charge is for a consult.

Honestly, $500.00 is not that bad, and even talking to an attorney will cost you few hundred. If I were you I'd pay up, or maybe just go in to court and see if the officer bothers to show up, otherwise throw yourself on the mercy...

Oh, and always check your blind spot. Always.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38410 on: March 30, 2019, 05:41:02 PM

Get yourself a car that checks the blindspot for you.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38411 on: March 30, 2019, 08:08:11 PM

Only suicidal people ride motorcycles.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38412 on: March 31, 2019, 09:32:05 AM

And 90% of them drive like idiots, almost asking to get hit.  A motorcyclist even choosing to be in your blindspot is making a huge mistake.  Especially a cop, who is probably a traffic cop...he should know better.  Not that you can use that for fuckall, just saying.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38413 on: March 31, 2019, 12:33:30 PM

Rule number 1 of motorcycle riding is to assume nobody sees you, and drive accordingly.   Cop was angry because he fucked up, but as Cyrrex says it won’t help you.

My other tip of the day?  Don’t drink an entire litre of whiskey.  21 hours later and I’m still not sober. 

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38414 on: March 31, 2019, 02:52:27 PM

It sounds more like the cop was passing and wasn't spotted. I.e. the cop wasn't riding in the blind spot for an extended period of time.

The side mirrors on my car are adjusted properly so I don't have a blind spot (tip: if you can see the sides of your car in your side mirrors they are *not* adjusted properly) but occasionally there have been times when I've thought it was safe to switch lanes from what I could see in the mirrors but it wasn't when I checked when turning my head (which I still do as well) cause there was a car passing by so quickly, and probably had pulled out further behind me from my same lane or the curve in the road didn't show them further back but was still closing fast.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38415 on: March 31, 2019, 06:16:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. Texas does both defensive driving and deferred disposition, so I think if I do one defensive driving and the other deferred, it'll keep them both off my record. Not that it's bad, but two tickets at once is a bit of a bitch. Assuming you can do both right after the other like that.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38416 on: April 01, 2019, 11:25:22 AM

Adjusting my mirrors properly to not have a blind spot really ruined my driving ability when I suddenly had to drive vehicles with no rear view mirror.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #38417 on: April 01, 2019, 12:52:57 PM

In this day and age, there is ZERO reason we can't have a rear display camera on all the time. Cadillac has a rear view mirror that is simply a screen and the camera is on. Why this is not mandatory like the backup camera is beyond me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38418 on: April 01, 2019, 07:27:10 PM

I should be able to turn on my backup camera while pulling a trailer, without having to hack my pickup console and run a new wire from my fusebox to power it.

In other news, I’m on Prozac rather than Ambien but I think I get what Patton Oswalt was talking about with “chainsaw-titted clowns” in nightmares.  Doesn’t happen often but wow it’s some fucked up shit when it does

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #38419 on: April 01, 2019, 11:04:04 PM

Random thing: just finished up the final Curling Bonspiel of the season. Being the last one, it was a complete drunken shit show. But we got a couple free meals, a decent cover band, some free beer, and won back half our entry fee by going 2 and 2.

And then I actually won in the bottle draw. So an $80 bottle of Casamigos Reposado finished it off well.  The true middle aged drunk's ultimate sport, you guys don't know what you are missing.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38420 on: April 02, 2019, 10:06:08 AM

Prozac is a substitute for Ambien?  I've been taking Prozac for ages.  I was subscribed Ambien once, whilst taking Prozac, and it was awful.  I woke up so groggy I had to stay in bed for an hour extra so I didn't walk into walls.  Maybe they shouldn't be taken togeter?  I just reckoned it was the Ambien.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38421 on: April 02, 2019, 11:52:32 AM

Yuck, Ambien....

It worked great as a sleep aid, 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, completely motionless (I toss and turn a lot). But I was motionless because I wasn't dreaming, my brain was completely switched off. After two weeks, I was having all sorts of cognitive side effects, most noticeably, I was forgetting conversations. I *never* forget a conversation, I can give you a blow by blow of arguments I had with my sisters when I was 5 years old. But people were swearing up and down we had agreed to something the day before, and I didn't even remember talking to them.

By 3 weeks in, I was forgetting them within minutes. I was standing in front of the refrigerator for an hour, trying to remember why I had come to the kitchen, and not realizing how long I had been there.

The day I forgot to take my sleeping pill, I felt better the next day, but it was a week before I felt normal. Tired, but normal.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38422 on: April 02, 2019, 12:29:16 PM

I don’t take Ambien, or any sleep aid.  The Prozac is for anxiety and depression.  It’s probably me being weird but since I have asthma somehow that terrifies me of not being able to wake up if something’s wrong with my breathing. I don’t even know if that’s valid concern but my head does what it does...

Patton Oswalt did a bit where he described the effects of Ambien on his dreaming, and it’s basically ALL the nightmares at once.  To the point it’s not even really frightening so much as waking up and saying, “Brain. Dude. WTF was THAT? I don’t even...”. Extremely vivid and detailed and utterly nonsensical to the point horrible things stop being scary.  Prozac has done that to me a couple of times but it’s still worth it.

Different people get diffrent results, like Dave having no dreams.  My wife will use Ambien when insomnia hits but too much and she starts forgetting shit too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:35:15 PM by Polysorbate80 »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38423 on: April 02, 2019, 12:47:54 PM

I'm taking trazodone as a sleep aid since as of a year or so ago due to some really awful insomnia in conjunction with my new fun anxiety. The dreams are horrific. They are near realistic at the onset, but always progress to something so bonkers, disturbing, or terrifying that even my sleeping brain just starts disbelieving what's going on. It's truly a unique experience. But, at least I sleep. Tried to ween off it, but the second I'm not taking it, I'll be wide awake all night. It's like sleep isn't even something my body will consider an option.

-Rasix
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #38424 on: April 02, 2019, 02:40:34 PM

I've been on Trazodone for a good five years. I've never had any of the nightmares you describe but I do find myself unable to sleep without it anymore. Funny my doctor said it was non-addictive too. He probably just meant physically.
Terracotta Army

Reply #38425 on: April 02, 2019, 06:05:07 PM

Used to take Trazodone after a hard night of speedballin'. Always good to knock you out of a hyperloop. Haven't heard anyone mention it till now... 20 years or so.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38426 on: April 02, 2019, 06:38:35 PM

Alternately, pay attention while driving.   awesome, for real

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #38427 on: April 02, 2019, 08:47:38 PM

Alternately, pay attention while driving.   awesome, for real

por que no los dos
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #38428 on: April 04, 2019, 07:55:42 AM

So I ended up selling my house last November.  I put a ton of effort into really fixing it up to sell quickly and it paid off and sold immediately.  Unfortunately we didn't find a new house right away because we were being kind of picky about the neighborhood and not buying someones run down money pit (there's a bunch of those), which led us to have to move into a rental.

So we finally close on the new place here in less than two weeks and I'm so ready for it.   I know it's kind of dumb but after 17ish years of home ownership being in a rental and having a landlord has just been driving me crazy.  Broken crap everywhere that I have these urges to fix and I just have to restrain myself from spending my time and money on.  Asking the landlord for 'little things' (like a key to the front door would be nice) and just getting basically nothing is just not worth all the stress.

I'm hoping to not do this again for another 15 years or so Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38429 on: April 04, 2019, 08:44:26 AM

Hank Hill syndrome--to this day I struggle not to fix things in rentals, even short-term vacation stuff. 

I'm not the only one, though.  Out of the 13 of us that went to Kauai in 2017, all three dads were fighting not to make minor repairs to the rental house.  We solved the urge by going to the Tiki bar in Princeville instead.

You'd think a $4 million+ home wouldn't have broken shit, but maintenance is a real issue on a Pacific island

Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 [1098] 1099 1100 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: