Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400586 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38045 on: November 12, 2018, 11:50:58 AM

I keep thinking there's got to be a way to pivot to some kind of lucrative DC lobbying gig.  I should probably research that more seriously.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38046 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:42 PM

Let me know what you find out.  However I do not think I have the ability to do that.  I can't even buy a used car properly.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38047 on: November 12, 2018, 02:43:57 PM

Let me know what you find out.  However I do not think I have the ability to do that.  I can't even buy a used car properly.
Yes, but can you SELL a used car properly. I think that's a more apt way to look at lobbying.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38048 on: November 13, 2018, 06:22:39 AM

Isn't that harder in every way?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38049 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:16 AM

My career in IT is 100% due to my pension. Technology is a giant shithole of unfunctioning iterations pushed out at an ever-increasing speed to satisfy shareholders who don't give a shit about the product.

Today's fun (after replacing all of our public computers due to Apple's new sunsetting tightening impacting our vendors): Numlock is disabled on all the PCs.

Check BIOS, of course. That's where the setting is, right? Always has been. Nah, it's turned on there.

Ditto in Win 10, both settings are fine.

No, Dell put in a hidden setting that can only be changed with their proprietary CLI that isn't publicly available (I've yet to go down that shitty rabbit hole of 'support').

Just...I don't understand why people would be in IT other than the money (or in my case, the bennies). Ye gods.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38050 on: November 13, 2018, 10:10:06 AM

Yes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38051 on: November 13, 2018, 10:17:15 AM

All ya’ll fuckers say this until you get a job outside of IT.  Then find out the rest of the world is supposed to actually work hard.  For less money.

I honestly can’t imagine doing anything other than IT.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38052 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:46 AM

No, Dell put in a hidden setting that can only be changed with their proprietary CLI that isn't publicly available (I've yet to go down that shitty rabbit hole of 'support').

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln311302/dell-command-configure?lang=en

Five second google search.

ProTip: the only way to find Dell info is to do a google search.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38053 on: November 13, 2018, 01:34:04 PM

Thanks, my google-fu is usually uncanny, but I had too many pots on the stove this morning and frankly see this as such a minor issue as to be at the bottom of the upgrade priority list, but people get complainy and escalate it to administration....

...which is another reason IT is a pisser. People don't understand how prioritization works.

Sure, let me set aside these other dozen things so I can focus on the one person who doesn't realize they can press the numlock key or use the other set of number keys. FFS.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38054 on: November 13, 2018, 01:34:53 PM

All ya’ll fuckers say this until you get a job outside of IT.  Then find out the rest of the world is supposed to actually work hard.  For less money.

I honestly can’t imagine doing anything other than IT.   why so serious?
Actually, I love working hard. Raised into it. Getting too old to sustain it, though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38055 on: November 13, 2018, 02:36:22 PM

One of the many things I hate about IT is how I can spend a lot of precious time working on something, only to have some asshole post a quick fix after I'm done with it.  It's even worse when his fix is better than mine in most ways.  I think this is why people move into architecture.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #38056 on: November 13, 2018, 03:03:57 PM

Just...I don't understand why people would be in IT other than the money (or in my case, the bennies). Ye gods.

I think IT took a serious turn for the worse when the demographics shifted to where 90% of the people in the field are only in it for the money. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #38057 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:51 AM

Google Fu is something at which I like to think I excel, which is why I have gravitated toward the field. I can sift through bullshit fairly quickly.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38058 on: November 22, 2018, 04:34:05 PM

To Hell with turkey for Thanksgiving.  Kurobuta ham FTW

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
schild
Administrator

Reply #38059 on: November 22, 2018, 04:58:48 PM

That is an objectively superior meat.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38060 on: November 23, 2018, 05:05:02 AM

Today. Not racist (I hope) just not well versed in the finer details of American culture.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:08:17 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38061 on: November 23, 2018, 06:41:57 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38062 on: November 29, 2018, 01:22:52 PM

Talking about light temperature in the car thread reminded me of a weirdly strong nostalgic moment I had this year. The school near me underwent a big renovation and put in all new lamps on the campus. They are a nice strong neutral light and the first night they turned them on I was instantly taken back to my younger days, before all the street lamps turned orange.

Any of you goddamned kids remember those days? I forget when the changeover happened exactly, but I do remember I was old enough to realize what a massive shift it was, everything looked different at night in the city from then on.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38063 on: November 29, 2018, 05:06:12 PM

It was the old mercury vapor lamps, which actually weren't white light like the modern full spectrum "cool white" LED's they probably used at that school (they had a strong blue-green element). They were partially phased out in favor of more efficient sodium vapor bulbs starting in the 80's (which have an orange-pink tone).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38064 on: December 02, 2018, 01:19:32 PM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
WayAbvPar

Reply #38065 on: December 02, 2018, 09:25:17 PM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38066 on: December 03, 2018, 08:09:33 AM

Thanks you for this advertisement for celibacy...

Hic sunt dracones.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38067 on: December 05, 2018, 01:48:18 PM

Who the fuck do I have to hurt over Office365 and its fuckstupid design options?

Mob

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38068 on: December 05, 2018, 02:13:03 PM

That would be me.

What's up ?

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #38069 on: December 05, 2018, 02:18:43 PM

That would be me.

What's up ?

We hate the ribbon, we hate it even more now that the default state in outlook is to hide it, and previewing ms office files in the message window as opposed to opening them when on a desktop.

~ everyone
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38070 on: December 05, 2018, 02:19:15 PM

Well for starters, using the black theme shouldn't turn absolutely EVERYTHING black.  And the grey theme is bland and flat and white blinds me.

I hatehatehate how Excel opens my files now (each in its own individual instance of Excel) and how it looks.  It feels clunky to me so far.  Not a good feeling when I spend my entire day inside Excel spreadsheets (because who doesn't run a company off excel spreadsheets).

Sorry, not feeling the upgrade so far.

Oh, but I do like the new OneNote.  I tend to like that app in general though.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #38071 on: December 05, 2018, 04:19:38 PM

In the middle of upgrading the embassy to office 365 right now.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #38072 on: December 05, 2018, 04:28:11 PM

Fuck SharePoint. What a freakin' mess. And now everything is tied into it and its hot garbage.

- Viin
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #38073 on: December 05, 2018, 05:42:36 PM

I hatehatehate how Excel opens my files now (each in its own individual instance of Excel) and how it looks.  It feels clunky to me so far.
THIS!!!! It pisses me off! Especially since it doesn’t actually close them all when I close the last window. Giant memory leaks... in 2018... unacceptable.

Don’t get me started on Outlook. It went from perfectly usable and plenty fast to “takes 30s” to open a folder and 5-10s to compose, send, etc an email or menu. IT’s response: “your computer is old, just buy a new one.” Wrong fucking answer!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #38074 on: December 05, 2018, 05:54:50 PM

Really?  Because that is one of exactly two solutions I've been giving people for their problems while working in IT support for the last 20 years.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38075 on: December 05, 2018, 07:33:45 PM

Don't give away the secret of the On off switch!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38076 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:31 AM

Good, I'm hearing a lot of positivity here.  Glad it's all working for you.  We strive to improve your experience always.

#GoldPartners.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38077 on: December 06, 2018, 07:27:37 AM

I'm happy I can still get VLKs through techsoup. The need to make accounts for standalone office put us on the brink of bailing from MS products to the detriment of our patrons who use them.

Most of the libraries in the system have already moved to chrome boxes and bailed on Office. Which is pretty lazy and irresponsible for a number of reasons, actually.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38078 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:03 AM

Good, I'm hearing a lot of positivity here.  Glad it's all working for you.  We strive to improve your experience always.

#GoldPartners.

Happy Thursday!

Can anyone tell me how to get Ex-hell to remember the previous saved position of a file?  Meaning - I have two monitors and I keep some files open in the right monitor, some in the left, and a very few spread across both monitors, depending on how I'm viewing at that moment.  Excel now seems to think that whichever file window I'm in at that time, is how I want to open a file in.  So instead of always opening my PO tracking file on the right monitor screen, if I happen to be in my labor recovery file (which is across both screens), then Excel opens my PO file across both screens.   Meaning I have to readjust my windows each and every time I open something.  Which increases my frustration.  Don't get me started on how Excel feels the need to cascade my windows, meaning I have to shift them around just to right the lower right corner so I can resize. 

ARGH!  It's little stupid things like this which are the most annoying and frustrating to deal with.

I'm back to the grey theme because it's marginally less annoying than the colorful theme, which isn't very colorful (sorry, white with an app specific color bar at the top isn't very "colorful").

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38079 on: December 06, 2018, 01:14:11 PM

As the guy who ended up supporting the only 2 Windows servers we have...
The RDP app for OSX is fine.
Excel for OSX is still better than Google Shits. Regular Excel is nicer than Excel Online somehow, but you can't collaborate properly otherwise...? OK, Google Shits is looking better.
I still miss Visio.
Mojave is great simply because of Dark Mode. I don't even know what else it changed.

Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: