Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400627 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #37485 on: March 29, 2018, 02:51:53 PM

I had a guy send emails to both of my current addresses, then call my home phone, then my cell phone (twice!) before finally leaving a message, all within about 5 minutes. I am guessing if they want me that bad the job must be awful.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37486 on: March 29, 2018, 02:59:07 PM

Ask him for twice as much as you are paid now and see if he blinks.

schild
Administrator

Reply #37487 on: March 29, 2018, 04:53:15 PM

I can help.

Bangkok, Oriental setting - and the city don't know that the city is getting. The creme de la creme of the chess world In a show with everything but Yul Brynner. Time flies doesn't seem a minute since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it. All change don't you know that when you play at this level there's no ordinary venue.

It's Iceland or the Philippines or Hastings or this place.
WayAbvPar

Reply #37488 on: March 29, 2018, 06:02:08 PM

I am not sure I am tough enough to tumble.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37489 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:14 PM

I get my kicks above the waistline, Sunshine!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37490 on: March 29, 2018, 07:38:25 PM

Got a buddy who is an ex-pat. Was living in Singapore and hated it, moved to Phuket and has never looked back. He adores it out there, but it's not Bangkok. I can ask him about it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #37491 on: March 29, 2018, 09:33:40 PM

I love you guys  this guy looks legit

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37492 on: March 30, 2018, 12:29:06 AM

Uh, it’s one of the best cities to be an expat in, period.  The country is cheap, but has access to everything.  No worries about not finding any particular product you want (though obviously western goods are marked up).  It has an endless amount of awesome restaurants and bars for night life, that puts most cities to shame.  That’s on top of the always great street/local food joints.  Want to learn fencing?  Rock climbing?  Painting?  Underwater basket weaving?  You can find some place to teach that to you at prices far below what you’ll ever find in the west.  Afraid you’ll feel isolated?  It’s god damn foreigner central.  That’s honestly a downside for me, but if you are worried about going full Lost in Translation, don’t.  You can hang out at multiple brittish bars filled with nothing but brittish expats all night if you really want (thats just a joke of an example.  The expat community is massive though, you can hang out with an endless amount of people from around the world).

Having said that, I do know people who haven’t liked it.  Now, mind you, most of that is because they are either picky, or have families (I don’t think either applies to you).  But, one of the biggest problems are traffic/transportation.  Where you live can matter a lot.  They have a nice train system, but if you are trying to go to some place not next to one of the stations (and its a huge sprawling city), you can expect to be stuck in traffic, possibly for hours (this is somewhat mitigated if you are brave enough to take motorcycle taxi’s, as they give no fucks and drive between the cars and up on the sidewalk.  It’s fun!).  Any idea what kind of expat package they are offering?  Because again, you’ll want to make sure you are near some sort of public transit.

On that same note, it can be super crowded in the center areas, with narrow/crumbling sidewalks, with a bunch of street vendors hogging the limited space thrown in.  Meaning even walking can be a stressful and draining task sometimes (though this is limited to certain areas.  Of course, if you are working in one of those areas...).

Finally, pollution has gotten bad.  I’ve never noticed it on my past trips, but the city has grown so much, they’ve started to have days where they pass Beijing on the pollution index.  It’s always been nice when I go, but my friends who live there have started to complain about they weeks where it gets painful.  So keep that in mind.

Other than those things.... fuck, its one of the greatest places to be an expat, as long as you aren’t a super picky asshole.  You can do anything and eat anything.  The airport is also a massive hub, and you can get cheap direct flights to practically anywhere (a really big bonus).  Mind you, I love living in Asia, and have about 10 different places I’d bid on living next over anywhere in Europe (and I like Europe).  But trust me, moving to Bangkok would not be nearly as ‘out of your comfort zone’ as you might think.

That’s if this offer isn’t a scam though.   awesome, for real

You can PM me any time with specific questions if you want.  I practically live in Thailand currently, so can give you the low down.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:36:56 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37493 on: March 30, 2018, 04:27:19 AM

<many useful words>

Thanks for all of that. The office is in Watthana which seems pretty central. I had a quick look around at some apartment letting sites to see what kind of place I could afford within walking distance +2 metro stops, and liked what I saw. I'm not one of those assholes who goes to live in a foreign country and insists that everything be the same as back home, I definitely like to blend in (as much as a tall, pasty white dude can in a place like that) and experience the local food, culture, etc. The dudes I'd be working with are mostly British or Americans and they assure me that being able to speak or read Thai is completely optional.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37494 on: March 30, 2018, 04:34:15 AM

Just noticing the question and my mate was in Bangkok for a year in a management role.  Ahem.  He was of the same opinion as Teleku, so let me know if you need to have a chat with him.

For someone like you, I see no issues.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37495 on: March 30, 2018, 04:58:25 AM

Exactly.  I’d focus more on the job and how much you think you’ll like it.  Because all work situations aside, based on everything I’ve ever know about you in this community, this is a hard yes, and you’d have a blast.  Also, lol, Watthana is the area that pretty much contains 70% of the best bars/restaurants.  Get shit faced at Iron Fairies after work. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37496 on: March 30, 2018, 06:20:35 AM

I gots nothing to offer re: living in Bangkok (I've literally never lived outside Illinois), but the whole "expat" thing made me think of this - https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration

Happy Good Friday! (to those who celebrate and others like me at work anyways).  Although is "happy" really the right adjective when talking about the day the central figure of a major religion was crucified?   Head scratch  Also, it's supposed to be barely above freezing here on Sunday.  I really do need to live somewhere else other than Illinois.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37497 on: March 30, 2018, 07:59:14 AM

I gots nothing to offer re: living in Bangkok (I've literally never lived outside Illinois), but the whole "expat" thing made me think of this - https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration

Happy Good Friday! (to those who celebrate and others like me at work anyways).  Although is "happy" really the right adjective when talking about the day the central figure of a major religion was crucified?   Head scratch  Also, it's supposed to be barely above freezing here on Sunday.  I really do need to live somewhere else other than Illinois.

Well yes. It's why I was a bit tongue-in-cheek in my initial post.

Anyone have any experience with living out there as a filthy, job-stealing immigrant ex-pat?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37498 on: March 30, 2018, 09:11:08 AM

I can help.

Bangkok, Oriental setting - and the city don't know that the city is getting. The creme de la creme of the chess world In a show with everything but Yul Brynner. Time flies doesn't seem a minute since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it. All change don't you know that when you play at this level there's no ordinary venue.

Fuck you for putting that song in my head ALL DAY!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #37499 on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:29 AM

I can help.

Thank you for putting that song in my head ALL DAY!

yw
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37500 on: March 30, 2018, 11:57:50 AM

Husband brought up that song the other day and thinks that

I get my kicks above the waistline, Sunshine!

Would be a perfect 80's song clue for Wheel of Fortune.  (Suck it, we watch together while or just after eating dinner).

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37501 on: March 30, 2018, 01:08:38 PM

I’m at SakuraCon with my kid and I have never felt so out of place in my life. So many men in anime girl costumes. So many.

I did get a signed photo of Stitches from WoW from the voice actor that did his work. So that’s cool.  But this day has gone ducking weird.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37502 on: April 01, 2018, 07:06:48 PM

At the hardware store buying stuff for my current useless project, and I find a Weber Summit grill marked down $500.  Makes me feel like I should celebrate Easter by throwing some bunnies on the grill  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #37503 on: April 01, 2018, 07:52:23 PM

The Australian cricket team got caught cheating. The vice-captain's kids saw their mother crying. This is how she explained it to them.

Yeah kids, don't worry, it's just that Santa Claus is fucking DEAD.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37504 on: April 02, 2018, 04:07:03 AM

I guess for Australian kids, telling them that Santa is dead is probably less traumatic than telling them that cricket is bullshit.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37505 on: April 02, 2018, 06:23:45 AM

I just found out that the binomial name of the American Robin is Turdus migratorius.

*childish giggle*

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37506 on: April 02, 2018, 07:24:31 AM

If I ever end up in whichever city you live in, I want to buy you a drink.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37507 on: April 02, 2018, 02:17:20 PM

I accepted the job in Bangkok. I'll be moving there within the next 2-3 weeks as soon as all the stuff is sorted for my visa. I'm pretty excited about it, there's just so much to do in the meantime.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37508 on: April 02, 2018, 02:55:13 PM

Congrats and safe travels. !!
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37509 on: April 02, 2018, 09:05:51 PM

I put it on Facebook, and I'll put it here, too. I'm not sure about Bangkok itself but when I was in Phuket, I could not find clothes that fit me. Everything was too damn small. So if you're even mildly a big or tall fella, you may wanna pack extra clothes or have some shipped. Entirely possible things have changed, it was 20 years ago.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37510 on: April 04, 2018, 02:04:24 AM

It’s possible but can still be a pain in the ass at times.  Worst is shoes, as anything above a 12 starts getting hard to find (I wear a size 14 in Nike).  I don’t know Ians body type, but might want to stock up on some shoes/clothing before you go.  However, I’m sure your co-workers can clue you in on the best places to get western sized stuff for good prices.  I’m 6’2 though, so I’m a bit out of the norm anyways.

Also, congrats soon to be neighbor!  Will have to meet up when I’m in Bangkok sometime (also, maybe you can find some expert painter in the warhammer community down there to paint my god damn Kingdom Death miniatures cheep  awesome, for real).  May even see you up here, as one of the fun things of being a Thai expat is that every year you have to renew your Visa, but you can only do it at a Thai embassy outside of Thailand.  So a lot of people do ‘the visa run’ to Laos, since Vientiane is right on the border of Thailand and the easiest to get to. 

-Stephen Colbert
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37511 on: April 04, 2018, 11:08:47 AM

Ayep, I'm 6'3". Literally split a swimsuit while I was there, which was not at all embarrassing. Ohhhhh, I see.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37512 on: April 04, 2018, 12:13:37 PM

Makes it tough ordering clothes from Amazon, too. I don't even bother, it's all tiny Asian stuff.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37513 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:07 PM

TIL that German keyboards are QWERTZ and not QWERTY.

I can understand having different symbols in some cases (e.g. no $) but what is the purpose behind swapping Z and Y?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37514 on: April 05, 2018, 03:36:52 PM

Z is much more common than Y in German and the two letter pair 'TZ' are used in many words.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37515 on: April 05, 2018, 05:19:43 PM

But you don't push the Y (German Z) with the same hand as the T...

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37516 on: April 05, 2018, 06:24:54 PM

Which makes typing that combo even faster.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37517 on: April 05, 2018, 07:24:28 PM

Arguing efficiency with a German is always a bad idea.    why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37518 on: April 06, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

Most Eastern European keyboards are also QWERTZ. French keyboards are AZERTY because Q is a much more commonly used letter in French than in English so it goes on the middle row where your fingers rest, while W is almost never used at all so it gets relegated to the bottom row.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37519 on: April 06, 2018, 02:14:52 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: