Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400672 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36645 on: September 08, 2017, 02:10:19 PM

Are you American? You look so American!

Edit: I mean Ian from last page

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36646 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:40 PM

I am Scottish. I just look like a foreigner no matter where I am.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36647 on: September 09, 2017, 01:17:14 PM

I am Scottish. I just look like a foreigner no matter where I am.

That's probably the best summation of Scottish I've ever heard.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36648 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:48 AM

Project Fi is sucky.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36649 on: September 11, 2017, 03:21:02 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #36650 on: September 11, 2017, 04:25:07 PM

Just want to point out that Austin just got this place called T'so Delivery (tsodelivery.com) and they're officially the only company doing delivered food correctly. You literally can't tip, their employees are W-2'd, and they have successfully filled a niche (shitty american food that pretends to be chinese). Also, they have homemade Kim-chi, so. Yea.

Edit: Also, company cars.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:28:15 PM by schild »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36651 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:07 PM

I can't even read the word Kim-Chi without my mouth filling with saliva.  I need to figure out how to get my hands on some.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36652 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:29 AM

Making friends with the creepy Korean granny down the road (there was always one around) worked for me everywhere else I lived. I'm not sure there's a Korean in the county here.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36653 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:15 AM

My best friend from college (going on 26 years now) is Korean. First year we met (1992) and started hanging out we hit up one of his favorite Korean restaurants which was basically the bottom floor of someone's house in Cleveland. Me being from a pretty white homogeneous white suburb, it was pretty eye opening. He ordered for us since Korean was the primary language there. So many plates of sides... so much meat in the main dish. The bowl for the Bibimbap was basically a mixing bowl....  That meal was so good and burned into my memories.

Strangely enough, we met up 2 years ago when he was in Cleveland for a business trip. I picked him up and we went back. Place is almost exactly the same and the food was pretty much the same. Only changes were the use of more English and different tables. I haven't met a Korean meal to equal that... and I try to hit up a Korean place everywhere I go for an extended period of time. Wonder if I still have those pics...

Damn you all... now I have to make a trip.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36654 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:33 AM

I can get kimchi in my grocery store out here in the semi-sticks.  Try the simplest option?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36655 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:13 AM

If anyone in Seattle's a fan of Korean, I can't recommend this place enough http://koreantofuhouseuw.com/ It is essentially the type of place binary describes. Also, don't show up past noon during the week for a workday lunch, you won't get a table without a wait.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36656 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:27 AM

For a year or so when I was in college and very low on both time and money my primary source of calories was Steve's Korean BBQ.  Six bucks got you a massive plate of kimchi, sprouts, rice, and meat that was enough sustenance for a day.   Eat

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36657 on: September 12, 2017, 03:15:29 PM

Gigantic Carne Asada burritos in San Diego for $4-$5 everyday was my equivalent survival carb bomb in college.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36658 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:16 PM

If anyone in Seattle's a fan of Korean, I can't recommend this place enough http://koreantofuhouseuw.com/ It is essentially the type of place binary describes. Also, don't show up past noon during the week for a workday lunch, you won't get a table without a wait.

Goddamn it Engels.  Now I'm itching to go there.  I'd kick puppies to have good Bibimbap again.  They need to open something closer to SLU (although my wife could head there from UW). 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36659 on: September 13, 2017, 06:26:42 AM

Funny thing about a divorce; it makes to reevaluate so much of your life.

I'm finding that I'm playing far, far, FAR fewer hours of computer games than I did before. I just don't have the desire and I think it's because I was using them as an escape mechanism. I'd already cut-back when I'd been mulling the decision, but in the last 2 1/2 months I've played about as many hours as I would have "normally" in a week. The daughter said, "Woah, you're not sitting at the computer," when she came by the other day. That was mildly painful because it was so true.

Additionally, I'm finding far less tolerance for chotchkies and general clutter. The Ex loved having little shit like that around. Pop vinyls everywhere and little mementos. I'm finding that despite an opportunity to add, I'm not wanting to. I'm even considering offloading some of the stuff I'd collected over the last 20 years just because it seems like clutter. The old 2nd ed D&D sets, action figures in the basement, VHS tapes that never got converted to DVD etc aren't doing any good just sitting there. Ditto so many of the DVDs she hasn't packed-up and I haven't watched in years, despite enjoying the movies. (Wizards, Conan, Matrix, Outlaw Star, Robotech to name a few I saw sitting in the TV console last night.)

Not a time for decisions like this, I'll have to wait a few months until after she's actually out to see if this is just reactionary or really me altering my tastes but I find it interesting.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36660 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:31 AM

I was very similar with regard to clutter and still live a pretty minimalist lifestyle.  People coming to my house often laugh at how bare it is.  As for gaming, I used it as a means of coping with the life change.  I played a lot of MMOs during and after my divorce.  It was a great distraction from life when I wasn't at work.

Hang in there Merusk... sounds like you're doing pretty well so far.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36661 on: September 13, 2017, 06:33:37 AM

Funny thing about a divorce; it makes to reevaluate so much of your life.

I'm finding that I'm playing far, far, FAR fewer hours of computer games than I did before. I just don't have the desire and I think it's because I was using them as an escape mechanism. I'd already cut-back when I'd been mulling the decision, but in the last 2 1/2 months I've played about as many hours as I would have "normally" in a week. The daughter said, "Woah, you're not sitting at the computer," when she came by the other day. That was mildly painful because it was so true.

Additionally, I'm finding far less tolerance for chotchkies and general clutter. The Ex loved having little shit like that around. Pop vinyls everywhere and little mementos. I'm finding that despite an opportunity to add, I'm not wanting to. I'm even considering offloading some of the stuff I'd collected over the last 20 years just because it seems like clutter. The old 2nd ed D&D sets, action figures in the basement, VHS tapes that never got converted to DVD etc aren't doing any good just sitting there. Ditto so many of the DVDs she hasn't packed-up and I haven't watched in years, despite enjoying the movies. (Wizards, Conan, Matrix, Outlaw Star, Robotech to name a few I saw sitting in the TV console last night.)

Not a time for decisions like this, I'll have to wait a few months until after she's actually out to see if this is just reactionary or really me altering my tastes but I find it interesting.

This surprises me not a bit.  One of my little 'I'm not married anymore' fantasies (once I've fucked everything in sight) is to hire one of those big industrial shredders and throw half to three quarters of my house into it.  The shite that you pick up over the years in a relationship is just utter, utter dross.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36662 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:26 AM

I'll take your D&D stuff .  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  I think a family member threw away all my first editions. 😕
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36663 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:11 AM

Hmm.. I'd be interested in the Robotech and Outlaw Star stuff.  I've started recording Outlaw Star on Toonami because I'd never seen it, but having DVDs makes it easier to not wait for the weekly showing.

I feel you on the clutter thing, too.  It really is amazing how much just.. junk.. you can accumulate without thinking about it over the years.  I really, really do want to just get rid of all the little crap and not have to worry about it.  We recently switched waste mgmt service in our town and now we have one of those big wheeled containers, so I plan to start chucking stuff into there and getting rid of it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36664 on: September 13, 2017, 11:24:24 AM

I would, of course, throw out all of the stuff that was complete crap like throw pillows and decorative soaps, but still keep the retail console boxes and that box of Pentiums, just in case.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36665 on: September 13, 2017, 11:41:21 AM

So it's not just me that has a box of entirely useless 'spare' computer parts then? I don't feel so bad about that then.

I do, however, feel bad that I still have every single machine I've ever owned. Every. Single. One.  From the 486DX2 up to the Core 2 I replaced 5 years ago, they're all on a rack shelf in the basement. I had the 486 running 7 years ago. That was amusing for an hour or so.

Hmm.. I'd be interested in the Robotech and Outlaw Star stuff.  I've started recording Outlaw Star on Toonami because I'd never seen it, but having DVDs makes it easier to not wait for the weekly showing.

You might be disappointed there in that case. I recall never making it to Media Play (yes, that's how old those DVDs are) to buy the last one before they stopped selling copies.

I'll take your D&D stuff .  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  I think a family member threw away all my first editions. 😕

We might be able to come to some agreement, then. I'm still waiting on the Ex to finish packing. We'll see if she nabs it and does trash removal for me when she moves back to AZ on the 30th.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #36666 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:23 AM

Almost 16 years with the same company, and yesterday I signed an offer letter for my first official "Manager" titled position - Customer Care Operations Project Manager. This despite the fact that I've had 12+ direct reports for the past couple of years. Now I'm a manager, and no one reports to me. Best of both worlds.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36667 on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:40 AM

You gotta love f13. 

Merusk: "I'm getting a divorce"

f13: "Cool, can I have your stuff?"

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36668 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:23 PM

Is fair question.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36669 on: September 13, 2017, 01:14:27 PM

You gotta love f13. 

Merusk: "I'm getting a divorce"

f13: "Cool, can I have your stuff?"

I got engaged and had the same thought to my stuff and gaming. When real life came calling I decided it was time to stop avoiding life at the computer and live with the woman I love.

Also getting promoted is kicking my ass sideways in terms of time. Between bankers, vendors, insurance, collections, GC's, employee benefits, payroll, 401k, taxes, audits, HR nightmares, contracts, credit limits, covenants, and all the little other detail shit, I don't have time to even fuck around on the forums like I used to.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #36670 on: September 13, 2017, 01:21:52 PM

What if I told you there's enough time in the day to do everything.

Edit: to be less bratty, I feel like in general, one of the average man's biggest failures is a failure to prioritize and cut out the horseshit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:29:37 PM by schild »
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36671 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:54 PM

Just discovered someone pilfered 32 of my patch cables from the network closet. 

I'm trying to give whoever it was cancer with my mind.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36672 on: September 13, 2017, 05:58:28 PM

Well, I found out the job I applied for a few years back and got several stages into before they moved to pick a guy who had what I regarded as a kind of spotty, sketchy record at his last place--not that I was annoyed by that!--ended in him getting fired after a bit more than a year and in him suing the place for violating the contract they signed with him and in the place itself possibly going out of business. Soooooo, I am pretty glad I didn't get any further in that search.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36673 on: September 13, 2017, 09:26:52 PM

Just discovered Jim Beam Black which is very drinkable for it 20 buck price.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36674 on: September 14, 2017, 05:07:17 AM

If only I had that power, it would be used on our maintenance guy who keeps finding 'free' spools of cat 6. And it's always the shittiest stuff to work with, the current spool isn't just unmarked whites...the whites are clear and the colors are translucent, so an orange/brown and blue/green are identical. I'm at about a 25% retermination rate, and back when I bought a spool of proper cable, I was at 0%. My mind boggles at how shitty his spools are. I'm expecting the next one to have no colors at all.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36675 on: September 14, 2017, 06:23:28 AM

The only spools I've seen like that were from the cheap contractors AT&T used for uverse. Shittiest wire ever.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #36676 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:36 AM

which is why all my cables except the couple "sacrificial" cables are behind locked doors. People can be real asses and its amazing what can end up in peoples pockets and go home with them.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36677 on: September 14, 2017, 11:00:19 AM

Yeah, ours were always locked-up at the last employer. 

Didn't stop us from spending an average $200 per month on USB wall plugs and iPhone connectors due to Executive staff "forgetting" their chargers in hotels every other week.  Goddamn people.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36678 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:18 AM

We have stuff like charger cables and headphones in a vending machine that you badge into -- no charge for any of it, but they can see if you're taking home a new pair of headphones every month. 

Apparently that was in fact true at one point, after which they hardcoded a restriction into the machines that any given person only gets one pair of new headphones every THREE months.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36679 on: September 14, 2017, 12:30:35 PM

Yeah, but when the CEO is the biggest abuser of leaving shit in hotels/ giving it to family/ giving it to friends you don't get to put restrictions on it. :D

Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: