Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: NWN..not quite dead yet. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NWN..not quite dead yet.  (Read 3227 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: September 14, 2006, 03:16:52 PM

For the three of you of who still follow NWN, I happened to catch this announcement today.

Copied from the NWN vault, which is about the only vault site I can stand...

In a change of direction, BioWare has released DLA's Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, as a new Premium Module for sale at $11.99 USD! This module represents a massive undertaking by the DLA team and includes fully ride-able horses, plus cloaks, tabards, new tileset, new creatures, new placeable objects, and whole a lot more!...

Features

* Explore the Kingdom of Cormyr on fully ride-able horses
* Compete in tournaments and joust against thundering opponents
* The first premium module to showcase flowing cloaks, tabards and long coats
* Extensive new art, new creatures, two new tile-sets and an enhanced version of the Tir Nan’Og tile-set (a massive 1200+ tile rural/castle/village set)
* Features a new prestige class, the Purple Dragon Knight
* Starting level 6 or 7, with new characters leveled automatically
* A rich, 18-20 hour single-player experience built around an engrossing storyline from esteemed community developer DLA

I'm stunned someone actually was able to do ridable horses and jousting in NWN, let alone cloaks.  Stuff that was asked for back before day 1...
More community developed stuff that BW has taken in and sold.  It's like outsourcing your development.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:22:09 PM

Hell, since I'm in a troublemaking mood tonight looking at new games that look old (Project Gorgon), has anyone else purchased NWN: EE?

http://nwn.beamdog.com/

I pre-purchased the Digital Deluxe edition a couple of months ago, and it's basically NWN with some engine overhauls and premium modules thrown in, but now on OS X and Linux as well as Windows (although the Aurora toolset is still Win only).

I think this is the fourth damn copy of the game that I've bought over the years (original, platinum, GOG-Diamond and now this). Figured I'd throw this out there in case others were interested.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 01:48:18 AM

Hell, since I'm in a troublemaking mood tonight looking at new games that look old (Project Gorgon), has anyone else purchased NWN: EE?

I grabbed it, seems kind of pointless so far.  I mean, it runs, and technically is probably more stable than vanilla NWN at this point, but as far as sweeping changes or overhauls I haven't seen much yet.  It's not like they ruined it or anything, but I don't know that it's that much better than Diamond, as far as I've seen.  There's some stuff on their trello board, but most of the changes look like they're just backend fixes to update the engine and also charge your some money.  They do seem to be working hard to help / include modders, which is nice, but if you just want to play the campaign or something it hasn't been changed that much.  Maybe the DLC campaigns are better, I haven't touched them yet.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:55:47 AM

I'm thinking it will be worth it if/when the Steam Workshop content takes off. There's some stuff already and if you did get the Beamdog release, you get Steam keys as well. The persistent worlds were always what I was always attracted to.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:14:12 AM

Steam Reviews are savaging it tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 05:58:18 AM

I loved NWN, but this sounds like a sale purchase from some of the reviews.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 11:02:57 AM

edit: nevermind. Still fuck those DLA guys (bitter DL fan here)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:04:47 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 01:11:49 PM

I pre-purchased the deluxe edition myself a few months ago.

Right now, the only reason to really get it is to gain access to the Pirates of the Sword Coast, Infinite Dungeons, and Wyvern Crown of Cormyr modules. They're easily the best of the for-pay stuff outside of the expansions, and have been unavailable for almost a decade due to Bioware being restricted from selling them by rights issues from Hasbro and Atari, as well as the fact that they aren't in the Diamond package sold by GOG. The mod support has been 100% compatible, just as advertised, and you don't have to go through weird custom master server or Hamachi shenanigans to get online working right.

That said, unless you really want to play the game with better UI scaling at higher resolutions or try out the aforementioned DLCs, I also recommend holding off until Beamdog either get more player-facing features baked in, or support for the more robust modding features takes off. It'd be neat if some new content for the game ends up being produced, but we'll see, as the NWN modding scene is really quiet now.

Beamdog really should have released this under Early Access though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:19:56 PM by koro »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 05:16:47 AM

When you say "for pay" do you mean we have to buy these DLC in addition to rebuying the game?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 08:21:24 AM

When you say "for pay" do you mean we have to buy these DLC in addition to rebuying the game?

Yeah it's like 40 bucks for everything.

I am the .00000001428%
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 03:48:16 PM

True, but "everything" has a fair bit of fat that could be trimmed if you're short on cash.  There's a $10 soundtrack that's included in that, for example (which is like half the cost of the base game by itself), and another $3.00 soundtrack for the premium modules, and then there's a $3.00 portrait pack that seems like a complete waste unless they've removed the option to include custom portraits.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 06:25:46 PM

the latest neverwinter nights is clearly the best of them, a superior offering both in terms of mechanics and storyline, and with massively more impressive visuals. i really have no idea why they called it "divinity original sin 2" though, it might confuse people
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 05:20:17 AM

Grrrrrr

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: NWN..not quite dead yet.  
Jump to: