Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:15:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Portal Coming to 360 & PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Portal Coming to 360 & PS3  (Read 11605 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: September 11, 2006, 05:55:47 AM

Portal Coming to 360 & PS3

Did I miss something? When was Portal announced for the 360 and PS3? Doing a quick scan of Valve's site and Steam pulled up nothing on this. But hopping over to Gamespot, I get the following - "This package deal contains Half Life 2, and HL2: Episodes 1 & 2, as well as their extras such as Team Fortress 2 and Portal." So apparently this is a Known Project. What can I say, some things still manage to slip completely under my radar. Team Fortress 2 on XBL might actually be good fun. It's nice to know I'll be able to play Episodes 1 & 2 without having to upgrade my PC as well. A part of me can't help but think Portal would be a better fit for the Wii than it would be for the two consoles that are already getting a port.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:08:12 AM

Good luck aiming with your thumbsticks.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 06:09:59 AM

Portals leave a little more room for error than a sniper rifle, wiseass. I'll probably end up playing it on both PC and the 360. Cuz I know my computer ain't going to run Episode 2 for shit, and I really don't want to upgrade. Though, Dark Messiah may force me to get a new PC if it's playable at launch.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:17:04 AM

Aiming accuracy may or may not be important (e.g. it's not clear how well you have to place a portal to make an object fall through it) but from what I remember from the gameplay video (can't find it on my hard drive at the moment) view rotation speed *is* important. Trying to chase down with thumbsticks somebody who can rotate at mouse look speed (i.e. effectively instantaneously) is really going to suck, I would imagine, just like it did when keyboarders tried to circle strafe against mouse lookers back in the Doom/Quake days.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:26:35 AM

Gotta be honest, ever since being forced to play Splinter Cell 3 on the Xbox (due to StarForce) and then having played King Kong (and a large number of console shooters since) - in any non-serious environment, I've no problem with a controller. Yes, mouse and keyboard are superior and a MUST for competition. Otherwise, ehh, both provide me with gameplaying fun. And once again, one of them I get to play while lounging around like a lazy bastard.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 06:35:06 AM

Does this mean your EA boycott is over?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:10:14 AM

I've never had problems with aiming with thumbsticks. I can be just as deadly a sniper with thumbsticks as I can with a mouse.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 10:24:44 AM

I can be just as deadly a sniper with thumbsticks as I can with a mouse.

I call BS on that. The only way for this to be true, is if you totally and completely suck ass with a mouse.

I have gotten a lot better aiming with the controller, as in I can now hit stuff about 30% of the time when I try and aim at it, but the controller still is a horrible way to control aiming. I am waiting for some thing like this.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 10:50:14 AM

Even that won't be as good as point and click.

Centipede is easier to play with a mouse.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 12:34:18 PM

Does this mean your EA boycott is over?

What? EA publishes Valve console software? If so, then oh well. But I'll be honest, given the brain drain they laid down on UBISoft, it's going to be very hard to keep away from Kane & Lynch. I know it's a situation where I'm really supposed to KEEP the boycott in place. But I <3 me some UBISoft Montreal. I would not break the boycott for episode 1 & 2 though.

Edit: It's right there in that fucking image. Oh well. Looks like I won't be buying this. It's a shame Valve doesn't have the strongarm to publish it themselves.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:45:35 PM by schild »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 12:48:38 PM

Lost to edit!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:54:08 PM by Miasma »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 01:56:56 PM

Edit: It's right there in that fucking image. Oh well. Looks like I won't be buying this. It's a shame Valve doesn't have the strongarm to publish it themselves.

EA never sees a penny as long as you buy it on Steam, though, right?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 02:39:05 PM

EA never sees a penny as long as you buy it on Steam, though, right?
Correct, that's all Valve all the time.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 03:10:43 PM

What if you break your other taboo about buying used games, then EA sees nothing too.  Maybe two wrongs do make a right.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Portal Coming to 360 & PS3  
Jump to: