Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wiimote documentation for third-party devs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wiimote documentation for third-party devs  (Read 1815 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: September 07, 2006, 06:12:07 PM

Nintendo finally gives third-party devs some details on the Wiimote.  More IGN thievery:
Apparently the Wii-mote provides a paltry 4,000 byte storage capacity that can be used to store controller settings and preferences. However, the Wii-mote's internal memory can only store saves for one game at a time. So, in practice, if a user saved their play style preferences for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to the device, the information would be overwritten when they attempted to do the same thing for Excite Truck.

Again, hardly news.  It's either this, or answer that text page about tnslsnr not running.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 06:25:19 PM

Apparently the Wii-mote provides a paltry 4,000 byte storage capacity that can be used to store controller settings and preferences. However, the Wii-mote's internal memory can only store saves for one game at a time. So, in practice, if a user saved their play style preferences for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to the device, the information would be overwritten when they attempted to do the same thing for Excite Truck.
If the Wiimote can send and receive data from the console, which it presumably can, that won't matter -- the game will just upload the controller settings when it starts up. Also 4K to store controller settings is enormous.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:32:01 PM

I agree with you, and I don't get the Chicken Little act that is going around the Nintendo sites lately.  I think people might be bracing themselves for a VirtualBoy.  Compared to, say, any other controller, 4k is huge.  And a speaker.  You can do a lot of stuff with that.

Edit to confirm that it must receive data from the console; bow sounds in Zelda, remember?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:59:36 PM

I have read, first, that you will be able to design a little avatar on your Wii.  This was seen in Wii Sports at E3.  Second, this avatar can be uploaded to the Wiimote for travel to friends' domiciles.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:16:21 PM

I have read, first, that you will be able to design a little avatar on your Wii.  This was seen in Wii Sports at E3.  Second, this avatar can be uploaded to the Wiimote for travel to friends' domiciles.

They are called....Mii

Fun 3-D caricatured portraits of users, or Miis, created in this channel can be used on characters across a variety of Wii software. In addition to storing Miis on the Wii, several Miis can be stored in a user’s Wii Remote and taken to a friend’s house to play on another Wii console. Each member of the family can have his or her Wii Remote personalized with their own Mii.

Players can use their own Mii caricatures in the game and play them against their friends' Miis for a more personalized experience. As players improve, their Miis' skill levels will increase, so that they can see exactly how much better they've become.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wiimote documentation for third-party devs  
Jump to: