Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:49:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '06  |  Topic: AGC Rivebrog: MMOG Rant 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AGC Rivebrog: MMOG Rant  (Read 16155 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: September 06, 2006, 02:18:17 PM

AGC Rivebrog: MMOG Rant

MMOG Rant Rive Brog

Brief summary of everything that every panelist said: Stop making shit, cockmonkeys.

» Read More
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 02:22:02 PM

Pictures will be delayed a bit, as I cleverly forgot to pack the all-important cable that moves pictures from my camera to my laptop.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:29:33 PM

> pigfuckers

Haemish was there?

"Me am play gods"
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:51:22 PM

Lum: If a game is no longer fun for you, perhaps you should find another game to play?

BTDT. Many of us ran out of options and just ended up wibbling on forums and attending game conferences instead of playing games. Many are playing single-player console games even though its clear that they passionately care about online games. Many are playing WoW, simply because functional shiny crap is better than broken, ugly and abandoned innovation.

Given the size of your market and how incestuous the community is, blaming the players comes across as somewhat too arrogant and detached from reality to be the smart move.

Just from the rough overview there, it sounds like the folks from SOE have been hit by the clue stick longer and harder than the rest of the devs there, and are starting to see some sense sooner.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:54:43 PM

Just from the rough overview there, it sounds like the folks from SOE have been hit by the clue stick longer and harder than the rest of the devs there, and are starting to see some sense sooner.

There is no clue stick larger than the SWG NGE.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:03:57 PM

It's been quite the disaster, that's for certain, but EQII is probably just as effective a clue stick.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 04:12:19 PM

> pigfuckers

Haemish was there?

In spirit.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 07:25:41 PM

Lum: If a game is no longer fun for you, perhaps you should find another game to play?

BTDT. Many of us ran out of options and just ended up wibbling on forums and attending game conferences instead of playing games. Many are playing single-player console games even though its clear that they passionately care about online games. Many are playing WoW, simply because functional shiny crap is better than broken, ugly and abandoned innovation.

Given the size of your market and how incestuous the community is, blaming the players comes across as somewhat too arrogant and detached from reality to be the smart move.

Pretty sure there's a distinction in Lum's statement between not playing game X vs not playing all games.  If you fill your spare time with stuff you don't enjoy, who's really at fault?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 08:38:42 PM

Lum's tone was more along the lines of finding another game to play, but basically what he was saying is if you're playing a game and not having any fun whatsoever (like many people on some forums indicate is the case), maybe you should reevaluate your decision to play that game.

I happen to agree with him 100% on this; there's a reason I'm not playing any MMOGs at the moment.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 09:16:09 PM

I put up a transcript of what I had to say on my blog (http://www.brokentoys.org).

FYI: "Agitator" was Gordon Walton (who admittedly is one hell of an agitator, and "John Q. Public" was Jeff "Allakahzam" Moyer of allakhazam.com.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 02:35:12 AM

Schild: Why exactly do you ship this crap before it's done?
Lorne: We've got wives and kids to feed.
Lum: Unlike in virtual worlds, we can't just dupe more money. Eventually it runs out.
Jessica: Going to the publisher 3 months before launch and saying you need more time is usually a career-altering decision.

I have a question here. Since it's common knowledge that all MMOs release prematurely, why does budgeting fail every time? Doesn't the industry learn?

Yes, innovation is expensive, that's understandable. But I think the market for innovation will grow while the market for clones will shrink.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 08:35:56 AM

I have a question here. Since it's common knowledge that all MMOs release prematurely, why does budgeting fail every time? Doesn't the industry learn?

The video game industry only learns when everything has been burnt to the ground.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 08:43:01 AM

I've got this great idea for a mmo (I pronounce it MOE). I should post it in the dev forum. Here's a screenshot of the current build:

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 09:39:17 AM

I put up a transcript of what I had to say on my blog (http://www.brokentoys.org).

FYI: "Agitator" was Gordon Walton (who admittedly is one hell of an agitator, and "John Q. Public" was Jeff "Allakahzam" Moyer of allakhazam.com.

The irony of Allakahzam speaking about negative feedback and how it's "ignored" is too rich.

As for Gordon's position.. I don't see him paying anyone's salaries.  Even if everyone in the industry quit working for the "pigfuckers" right now, you could fill their spots within a few weeks, guaranteed.  There's always some starry-eyed geek looking to make an entrance into his 'dream career path.'

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '06  |  Topic: AGC Rivebrog: MMOG Rant  
Jump to: