Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA signs deal for in game advertising 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA signs deal for in game advertising  (Read 4600 times)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

on: August 31, 2006, 07:31:11 AM

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060831/media_electronicarts_advertising.html?.v=1

We all knew it was coming...

The question now is whether or not the advertising will bring anything back to the consumer in the form of more money spent on game development (and hence better games) or in cheaper game prices.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:35:43 AM

That's a rhetorical question, right?
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:21:46 AM

Wasn't this tried in Matrix Online already? Proving that it doesn't work...

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:57:52 AM

Innovations that first appear in failed games should not be discarded out of hand. MxO had lots of crap clogging the toilet so it is unfair to focus on one specific turd.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:29:57 AM

Ahh, SOE. My favorite in-game ad. Not jarring at all, fits right in.

Then again, if they needed it to keep PS running, I'd put Deuce's balls on a Reaper. That's a great game, though probably due for a major overhaul at this point.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:31:31 AM by Sky »
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:15:05 AM

This isn't for MMO. It's for your average console game. IE... Need for Speed.

It's an agreement to develop some sort of plug-in for the average console game that can be updated dynamically.
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:52 AM

Actually its not that bad of an idea as long as they don't overdo it I suppose. Now that I think of it I've played a lot of games that have had fictional advertising that fits right in, they might as well make them real advertisements.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:26:35 AM

Not a bad idea? This is like saying if HBO had commericials, it wouldn't be a bad idea. People are already paying too much for these games as it is.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:02 PM

This makes me go from being 95% sure I will buy BF2142 to only 60%.  Playing the beta I have noticed some odd billboard spots that just have placeholder text in them, now I know what they are for.  I wouldn't mind real ads around the boards in a hockey or racing game but I don't want ads for Deuce Bigalow in my futuristic fight sim.

In game ads won't make the games better and it won't make them cheaper, at best it will allow some mediocre games to survive instead of being cancelled.  I think ads like these will give games a taint.  Nothing drastic will happen (like people refusing to buy games) but it will create a negative impression that might affect peoples' buying habits.  Kind of like how people are watching less TV or using tech like PVRs to get around commercials right now.  It used to be a half-hour sitcom had 24 minutes of content, then they added another minute of ads, then another.  Not many people think to themselves "I choose not to watch TV because of all the ads" but they do have a general feeling of TV just not being worth it.  I think if ads in video games get as bad as they are on TV people might slowly dislike the games themselves.

Edit: Found a screenshot that someone took of the placeholder billboards in bf2142.  That is a missile silo and it is one of the main installations that will be constantly fought over.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:13:05 PM by Miasma »
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 04:20:40 PM

Not a bad idea? This is like saying if HBO had commericials, it wouldn't be a bad idea. People are already paying too much for these games as it is.

If we let the pirates advertise we could solve this once and for all.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 05:33:17 PM

This is a bit much...

Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 06:19:42 PM

Hmm, if those truly are all advertisements, that's going to be a pain in the ass. But I'm sure the community will mod out the adverts within a few weeks of the game releasing.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 06:40:13 PM

Hmm, if those truly are all advertisements, that's going to be a pain in the ass. But I'm sure the community will mod out the adverts within a few weeks of the game releasing.
I haven't played any games with the latest and greatest in-game advertising technology but it used to be you didn't even have to mod the game to block the ads.

Edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:49:19 PM by Trippy »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 07:06:20 PM

In other games with the Massive shit you can apparently edit your hosts file and basically turn the whole thing off.  They will get smarter though, just like email spammers.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 09:47:31 AM

Speaking of intrusive advertising... Now billboards will harass you as you pass by!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA signs deal for in game advertising  
Jump to: