Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Why parent when you have the LA City Council 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why parent when you have the LA City Council  (Read 1940 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: July 13, 2004, 08:19:53 AM

I just read this and it just infuriated me.  

Another case of "I'm a lousy parent, so I'll pass the buck to the legal system".

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 09:02:00 AM

I'm not surprised.  Few people remember that back in the 70s, many video game arcades also had age limits, probably due to local ordinances.  I'd also suspect that many of these laws might actually still be on the books but no longer enforced.

Bruce
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 09:14:45 AM

I saw this elsewhere too and instantly though, "Where do these kids go if they can't go to the cybercafes?"

Obviously, the parents of these kids allow them to go out untill the wee hours of the night already.  I doubt that will be curbed by shutting the cybercafes down at those times.  Where will they go then?

I'd rather know where these punks are than have no idea.  I'd think the police in that city would too.  My thought was that they should just step up the patrols of those areas that seem hot.  This ruling just seems to spread the issue out of a greater area rather than get rid of it IMO.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 09:55:22 AM

aaaand the straw dummy takes two to the chest.  Good work.   Lets all relax in a world where kids have easy acces to guns, but luckily no video games to teach them The Hate.

Oh, and I like this:

A report found that 86 percent of people arrested at cyber cafes were juveniles, and 93 percent of the arrests were for truancy or curfew violations.

Gee, 86% of the people arrested were kids, where 93% of the arrests were for truancy / curfew?  I bet theirs a high murder rate among murderers, too.  And check the drunks for the DUI.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 10:21:51 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
I'm not surprised.  Few people remember that back in the 70s, many video game arcades also had age limits, probably due to local ordinances.  I'd also suspect that many of these laws might actually still be on the books but no longer enforced.

Bruce

Ownership Liabilities. Kids get beat up by other kids, parents want to sue arcade owner. et. al.

also...

I think that parents who were using cybercafes as day/evening care services will just find alternate locations to dump their kids off. Like shopping malls.

unbannable
Anonymous

Email
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 10:32:01 AM

There's already anti-loitering policies at malls.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Why parent when you have the LA City Council  
Jump to: