Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2006/2007 Free Yahoo Fantasy Hockey League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2006/2007 Free Yahoo Fantasy Hockey League  (Read 51601 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 04:00:44 PM

Yeah, I definitely drafted based on the scoring system.  I don't think Kolzig would be worth very much if it weren't for the shot volume he's going to face.  Although, I'm not particularly worried about it if you guys want to adjust the scoring.  And did anyone else notice that based on last year's totals, Luongo was worth 2200 points?  Totally dominated everyone else.
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 04:15:28 PM

Yes, 1 point per save is very high.  I'm glad someone finally mentioned it.  Kolzig and Fleury are gonna dominate.  I'm betting Legace's a great pickup too.  And also, if tonight wasn't enough evidence, Vancouver is still a force to be reckoned with.  Losing one strong defender and a slumping scorer is more than offset with an elite goaltender like Luongo.  They may not win the cup, but they're a contender.

Also, the Penguins kicked ass.  Awesome!

I was amazed at the Canucks last night. God bless Luongo- he made 4 or 5 saves that Alex Auld would never have made last year. The new aggressive defense in the neutral zone (not a trap!) was very well played. Still don't think they have nearly enough scoring other than their top line, but this gives me at least a glimmer of hope.

H- as for the saves, I think they are far too high. However, that is how they were set pre-draft (and I failed to notice it), and I am not sure how many people used that in their draft strategy. I would vote to lower them by 50% minimum, but I will bow to the majority if folks want to keep them as is.

Yeah, I just noticed the point-per-save deal, that is wayyyy too high.

Vancouver looked good last night. Luongo is a pimp.  I just hope their 16 SOG doesn't become a habit.  Then they become NJ Devils West, which isn't hockey, it's just gay, don't call it a trap!

Xbox live: trotski44
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 05:00:31 PM

Nah, they'll get into a groove eventually.  And does it really matter how many shots they take if they can still outscore their opponent?  I mean, the Penguins were outshot 40-21 last night and still won 4-0.  And Fleury is no Luongo.  Yet.  Or, for that matter, look at how well Calgary can do with only one scorer on their roster and Kipprusoff the stone wall.

Also, if we're talking about adjusting the scoring, I think shutouts should be worth a LOT more than they are, considering their rarity.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 10:16:03 PM

And did anyone else notice that based on last year's totals, Luongo was worth 2200 points? 

Hey, who has that guy? I remember he tore up our league last season.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 11:39:43 PM

I'll adjust the saves down to .5 per save, and adjust the shutout points up a bit.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 11:42:00 PM

And did anyone else notice that based on last year's totals, Luongo was worth 2200 points? 

Hey, who has that guy? I remember he tore up our league last season.

Pwnage Pudding. He won't be worth as much this year, even had I kept the saves so high. Vancouver will see a lot less shots on goal than Florida did last year.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #41 on: October 07, 2006, 01:06:49 AM

True, he won't have as many saves.  But he won't see as many goals against, either, and his # of wins is likely to increaseby 10 or more.  So the drop won't be too terrible.  Still, I'd say this is another year of domination by Brodeur and Kiprusoff.
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 07, 2006, 07:49:18 PM

Heh, of course the night I post about the Canucks having 16 SOG, they go out and get 44 SOG.   tongue They just out-hustled Columbus in the third period. They look good early, and that makes me a very happy man.  Luongo has been MONEY so far.  I don't care how old Linden is, this guy is the heart and soul of this team.  He is incredible, a grinder who plays the game the way it was meant to be played.  It will definitely be a sad day when he finally hangs up the skates.  Here's to keeping it going 'Nucks!

Xbox live: trotski44
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #43 on: October 09, 2006, 09:00:57 AM

GO WILD! Six goals agains the Predators. I'm a bit concerned that they gave up 5 goals, but they won. How the hell has Vokoun given up 6 goals in each of his two games? He's one of the better goalies in the league, but his stat line this year has been awful.

Gaborik. 40 goals this year. Marketh my words.

Strazos

Reply #44 on: October 09, 2006, 09:30:14 AM

I like my team this year...I only wish I could have gotten Gagne as well (and I almost did).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 09, 2006, 03:30:06 PM

Hey, make an offer.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
WayAbvPar

Reply #46 on: October 16, 2006, 10:33:46 AM

Went to my first hockey game of the year Saturday night (Major Juniors- WHL). Seattle was facing the top team in the league (Vancouver) who had started the season a perfect 10-0-0, and were trying to set a league record for consecutive wins to start a season.

Game was scoreless until midway through the 2nd period when Vancouver's relentless pressure finally produced a goal. The T-Birds battled gamely, but were mostly overmatched. At least untl 19:38 of the 3rd, when they scored a PP goal to tie it and sent it into OT.

In OT, Seattle started things off nicely by taking a penalty and going down 4 skaters to 3. Chris Durand found a loose puck at the blue line and fired it down the glass/boards out of the zone. The Vancouver goalie went out to cut the puck off in the corner. Midway down the boards, the puck hit a stanchion or something and ricocheted toward the Vancouver net. The goalie tried to reverse directions to get back into his net and lost his footing, sending him sprawling. He watched in vain as the puck trickled toward the empty net. Even a thrown stick failed to fully deflect the puck, which settled into the open goal, giving Seattle an improbable 2-1 OT win.

Seriously the strangest thing I have ever seen at a live sporting event, I think. What an ending!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #47 on: October 21, 2006, 07:23:35 PM

As a golie I've always been afraid of that happening. I've sat around running through all the weird shit that could happen if there was something wrong with the boards. Kind of weird that you actually saw one of the things I thought about.

The closest to that I've had happen was when I was playing and went to play the puck up to centre and the puck caught and edge of a tile (roller hockey) and was sent right into an opposing player. I almost gave up, but decided at the last second to make an attempt at saving it. The guy waited 1 second too long to shoot and I slid back with my stick out. Just got a piece of it on the paddle and sent it over the net. Highway robbery.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:33:06 PM by NiX »
Strazos

Reply #48 on: October 31, 2006, 12:48:42 AM

Not to jinx myself, but I am still wondering how I am even in the top handful at this point in time. I'm only highly ranked in 2 or 3 of the categories, and there's still a player or two I need to dump.

Are the points borken or something?

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 31, 2006, 03:59:15 AM

I'd say goaltenders are still broken a bit. A fantastic night from a fantastic player is a pretty regular night for a goalie, points wise.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: October 31, 2006, 10:44:59 AM

I'd say goaltenders are still broken a bit. A fantastic night from a fantastic player is a pretty regular night for a goalie, points wise.

Yep.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: October 31, 2006, 12:03:22 PM

Any suggestions about the goaltenders? I went ahead and modified wins down to 4 points instead of 5.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:06:36 PM by HaemishM »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #52 on: October 31, 2006, 12:15:53 PM

I honestly don't think it's that bad.  A good goaltender SHOULD be worth more points than a good skater.  You can only play two on any given night, and there's never 100% odds that your guys is going to play anyway.  And they're generally the single most important person to a team on any given night.  Don't you think that should reflect in the scoring?

Besides, I used my first three draft picks on goalies.  Don't penalize me!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: October 31, 2006, 12:19:46 PM

I agree about the goalie, as in it should be the cornerstone of the team. I'll let the stats update and see if the 4 points is acceptable to the grousers. :)

Strazos

Reply #54 on: October 31, 2006, 09:35:07 PM

I think at this point, dropping wins to 4 points may be a bit punitive, what with losses being -3.

Plus, my netminders are probably the only thing keeping me in the running at the moment.  evil
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:38:10 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #55 on: November 01, 2006, 11:30:32 PM

I love that Malkin kid!
Strazos

Reply #56 on: November 02, 2006, 12:14:13 AM

Fuck that Crosby fucker, fuck him right in the face.

(It seems every time I watch a hockey game, pretty much any ad for an upcoming game HAS to have a shot of Crosby swooping around after he put in a winner in OT vs PHI last year. Enough is enough.)

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 12:47:06 AM

After that washed up goon Hatcher busted his teeth out and he fucked them right in the ass for it. Looks like Philly got fucked in the ass again by the Pens this year already, too.

Fuck Philly.  :-D

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006, 08:32:54 AM

Philadelphia doesn't have the luxury of having 8 years of top picks in their lineup.

EDIT: What's funny is that a lot of people are still only ranking the Pens as the 7 or 8 seed, which looks hilarious at this point.

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006, 07:36:53 PM

Shrug, I don't care where we're seeded. Just getting into the playoffs after like five or six years would be pretty nice.

About our picks, yeah, I agree. But each one of those high picks also symbolizes a year of Penguins fans suffering. We paid for them. If you end up watching Philly finish 29/30 for the next 6-7 years, you'll probably agree that you'd have paid for yours as well.

We did luck the fuck out with Crosby and Malkin happening to be in those draft years, though. Not to mention that Staal just barely made the draft age cutoff this year, and would have likely been a consensus #1 next year.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #60 on: November 05, 2006, 07:57:50 AM

Oh, anyway, another reason to raise goalie win points back up to 5 is that leaving them lower, at 4, seems to hamstring some goalies who are on some of the better defensive teams who don't let up a lot of shots.

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 05, 2006, 11:35:43 PM

QQ noobie, reroll. Goalies R OP.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #62 on: December 13, 2006, 05:10:49 PM

Anyone else having problems accessing the league with FF2.0? Whenever I try to log in, I get stuck in some sort of redirect loop...

Fear the Backstab!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 13, 2006, 07:26:32 PM

I haven't tried recently, but I have FF2 at work and I was on it a couple days ago.

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #64 on: December 14, 2006, 09:50:35 AM

I access it daily with FF2. Not that you can tell from my place in the standings...

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 04, 2007, 08:35:45 AM

Alright, so, like, do you guys give up yet?

Surely you can face my massive hockey-picking skillz no longer.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 02:50:27 AM

You're kidding, right?

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 04:04:32 AM

Oh shit, did I just fall out of first place last night?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 09:45:51 AM

Roofles pwned.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 11:52:42 AM

Make your time.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2006/2007 Free Yahoo Fantasy Hockey League  
Jump to: