Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:47:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anchorman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anchorman  (Read 2046 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

on: July 10, 2004, 04:24:27 AM

I had some time to waste yesterday and checked out Anchorman.

Don't make the same mistake. I thought Ferrell would be funny, but even he couldn't save it. I should have known better, because gimmick flicks always suck (I'm pretty sure this rule applies to Dodgeball as well, which looks to be even worse....Come to think of it, it seems like the majority of comedies recently released fall under this category). I suppose there's been a few good ones in the recent past (Kingpin, Bubba Ho-Tep...Maybe Zoolander?), and I'm sure if Dave Chappelle made "Black Gallagher", it would be a fucking riot. But first and foremost, a film needs a story, not a gimmick. Even a comedy.

I haven't walked out of a movie in quite a while, and I was just about to with this one. The only thing that kept me around was Steve Carrell (from the Daily Show), who played Brick, the mentally retarded weatherman. This guy stole the show. From Will Ferrell no less. Besides that, Anchorman plays out like a "worst of SNL" filler skit. Except this one runs about 90 minutes and it'll cost you.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 09:16:59 PM

Quote from: stray
I had some time to waste yesterday and checked out Anchorman.

Don't make the same mistake. I thought Ferrell would be funny, but even he couldn't save it. I should have known better, because gimmick flicks always suck (I'm pretty sure this rule applies to Dodgeball as well, which looks to be even worse....Come to think of it, it seems like the majority of comedies recently released fall under this category). I suppose there's been a few good ones in the recent past (Kingpin, Bubba Ho-Tep...Maybe Zoolander?), and I'm sure if Dave Chappelle made "Black Gallagher", it would be a fucking riot. But first and foremost, a film needs a story, not a gimmick. Even a comedy.

I haven't walked out of a movie in quite a while, and I was just about to with this one. The only thing that kept me around was Steve Carrell (from the Daily Show), who played Brick, the mentally retarded weatherman. This guy stole the show. From Will Ferrell no less. Besides that, Anchorman plays out like a "worst of SNL" filler skit. Except this one runs about 90 minutes and it'll cost you.

/agree.

Wait and rent it.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 07:36:01 AM

I actually saw dodgeball.  I would not recommend it beyond a rental or a second run theater, but it had it's funny parts.  Not nearly enough of them, but it had funny parts.  So I would rate it a solid.... meh.

This is coming from somebody who thinks Zoolander was about the funniest movie ever made, you just have to revel in the stupid.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 05:22:16 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
This is coming from somebody who thinks Zoolander was about the funniest movie ever made.

That explains... a lot.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:39:10 AM

There are parts of Zoolander that still make me laugh and I've seen it 7 times.

by the way: the parts that make me laugh are all Ferrel scenes. Possibly the biggest laugh is just the look on his face when Zoolander says: "What kind of fool do you take me for? What is this, an institute for ants?! If you want me to be the face of Derelicht for you, its going to have to be at least...... four times this size!"

unbannable
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 09:48:03 PM

All the Will Farrel outtakes always put me in stitches as well.  The 10 or so different versions of "That hansel is so hot right now" are great.  Almost all better than the ones in the movie, but the best improv work always got the rest of the cast laughing too much.  Or the pre-show derelict outtakes near the end.

Personal favorite moment is the Farrel outburst at the end when he loses it, including the "I feel like the whole world is taking crazy pills".

Good stuff.

I pity Morphiend for not being able to enjoy it.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anchorman  
Jump to: