Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: F.E.A.R. Combat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: F.E.A.R. Combat  (Read 9842 times)
ZariusZer0
Terracotta Army

on: August 11, 2006, 04:39:32 PM

I'd imagine some of you have already heard about this, but on August 17th, the entire multiplayer part of Monolith's shooter, F.E.A.R., will be released online for free to anyone who wants it. I'm not sure what their motivations are, perhaps just to get some more people interested in the game before their expansion comes out. Either way, it's a free FPS for anyone who wants it.

http://www.fearfans.com/newsitems/103/
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:07:37 PM

Um..wow....

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:14:23 PM

Is that sarcasm, Sprazos? If not.. we should rock that something fierce.
Strazos

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:43:00 AM

No, that is not sarcasm. At all. I played the hell out of the demo before the game went gold.

This is awesome. I want my stake gun back.

The only thing I question is why. Were game sales poor?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 06:31:18 AM

Dunno, but this is awesome, I'm in the same boat in that I stopped playing after the demo ended.
ZariusZer0
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 05:49:23 PM

Like I said, i've got no idea why they chose to do it, perhaps to just invigorate their online community. I suppose it doesn't really hurt their sales of the game, as by now, pretty much anyone who would buy it for the multiplayer probably has, and this way they can generate some more potential sales of their expansions. Either way, I quite enjoyed the game during it's MP beta and it's demo, but just never got around to picking it up. So i'm quite eager to get my hands on it again.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:52:37 AM

Any chance of a F13 server? I seem to remember I quite enjoyed having my ass blown up by you people in UT. And the times when I got lucky with the flack cannon were glorious.

Wiiiiii!
Strazos

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:54 AM

I doubt it...too much crying and gnashing of teeth on that UT server.

Fear the Backstab!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:39:45 AM

I never really liked the Multiplayer demo. I donno what it was, but I just didnt feel it.
Strazos

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:24 AM

You must have missed out on the stake rifle.

Fear the Backstab!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 10:53:02 AM

Mmmm...steak...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:40 PM

I wonder if F.E.A.R. combat will include any game modes that weren't in the release.  F.E.A.R. counterstrike might be interesting.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 04:05:25 PM

F.E.A.R. counterstrike might be interesting.
You shut your filthy mouth.
ZariusZer0
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 05:15:44 PM

I wonder if F.E.A.R. combat will include any game modes that weren't in the release.  F.E.A.R. counterstrike might be interesting.

While there's no "counterstrike" mode, they did add two game modes in the 1.05 patch.

Control mode: Two teams compete for three Control Points. Teams earn points for each Control Point they hold. To win, one team must reach the score limit before their opposition or have the highest score when the time limit expires.
Capture All mode: Two teams compete for five Control Points. Team points are earned for neutralizing or capturing a Control Point as well as killing enemy players. To win, one team must capture all five Control Points, reach the score limit before opposing team does, or have the highest score when the time limit expires.

from http://www.fearfans.com/newsitems/96/

So that means you'd have a total of 5 gamemodes, and their respective slo-mo variants.
Strazos

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 05:18:16 PM

I still don't know how they got slo-mo to work in a MP game.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 06:01:41 PM

Any chance of a F13 server? I seem to remember I quite enjoyed having my ass blown up by you people in UT. And the times when I got lucky with the flack cannon were glorious.
Current server doesn't have enough RAM to run a game server on top of everything else.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 09:55:32 AM

I'll check with Ivo to see if Game Angst can get a FEAR Combat server up.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 12:39:01 PM

Like I said, i've got no idea why they chose to do it, perhaps to just invigorate their online community. I suppose it doesn't really hurt their sales of the game, as by now, pretty much anyone who would buy it for the multiplayer probably has, and this way they can generate some more potential sales of their expansions. Either way, I quite enjoyed the game during it's MP beta and it's demo, but just never got around to picking it up. So i'm quite eager to get my hands on it again.

They want more people to play FEAR before they shove the sequel down our throats. Everyone that played FEAR did the single player then stopped. At least I did. I thought the multiplayer was crap, frankly. Now I guess they have fixed the crappiness (hopefully) and the $free tag will get people playing it. I expect the sequel announcement will follow soon.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 08:31:57 PM

FEAR didn't sell terribly well, which is a goddamn shame since it was a very good single player game.

I think they figured out that most PC gamers are now too dumb to like anything that doesn't have a good multiplayer component, so they're appealing to the wtfpwnz0r crowd to drive sales.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 08:43:18 PM

FEAR didn't sell terribly well, which is a goddamn shame since it was a very good single player game.

Game seemed rather "blah" to me.  It wasn't very remarkable, just another shooter with bullet time except with a creepy little girl.

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 09:17:32 PM

Game seemed rather "blah" to me.  It wasn't very remarkable, just another shooter with bullet time except with a creepy little girl.
I liked the enemy AI a lot, and the ringu-style scares are a nice change from the alien/beast/monster type scares a lot of other games with horror elements have, especially FPS titles. I think people would've liked the single player better had they kept with their original designs and not scaled back so much on the character development.

Originally the black guy (can't remember his damn name) from the special ops was supposed to be the empath, and the dumb asian chick was supposed to be the sniper and have a more crucial role in the game outside of just being conveiniently absent 90% of the time.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 06:49:55 AM

The AI was great - but the bad guys had no character whatsoever.

Wave after wave of soldiers dressed in black.

woo.   hoo.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 12:34:03 PM

At least their personality fit the story, being that those soldiers were clones under telepathic control of Paxton.

F.E.A.R. wasnt quite as scary as System Shock 2 for me.  Never could finish SS2 (got about as far as the level 5 recreation center) and even contimplating trying gives me the willies, but I spent most of F.E.A.R. pitying Alma more than being afraid of her. 

I wonder what ever happened to that promo cutscene where Alma is walking on the ceiling blowing people up?  Never ran across it in F.E.A.R.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 01:05:51 PM by geldonyetich »

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 06:05:02 PM

At least their personality fit the story, being that those soldiers were clones under telepathic control of Paxton.

F.E.A.R. wasn't quite as scary as System Shock 2 for me.  Never could finish SS2 (got about as far as the level 5 recreation center) and even contemplating trying gives me the willies, but I spent most of F.E.A.R. pitying Alma more than being afraid of her. 

I wonder what ever happened to that promo cutscene where Alma is walking on the ceiling blowing people up?  Never ran across it in F.E.A.R.
One of the things left on the cutting room floor.

Alma used to instantly dice people up in cool looking jump-cuts with psychic powers or something, but instead they went with the insanely lame killing method of dissolving people or whatever.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 09:30:50 PM

Quote from: Fabricated
[...] instead they went with the insanely lame killing method of dissolving people or whatever.
** Moderate spoily **

From what I gather, the phantoms of her nightmares (demonized versions of the scientists that prodded her) come out and claw her victums to shreds.  They're too fast to be seen with the naked eye, but the protagonist is able to spot them with his bullet-time reflexes and banish them with a hail of bullets.  That's how the end game goes anyway.

But yes, the jump-cuts leading to people's innards exploding were much cooler looking.  Pity they cut those.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:36:50 PM by geldonyetich »

Strazos

Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 10:45:02 AM

To anyone who didn't know, this is out now.

Fear the Backstab!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:56 AM

Been playing it on and off for the last two weeks. Its fun, but the maps are rather drab and there's some balance issues. The unarmed attack with the combination jump or crouch means a 1-shot kill, which is wtf territory.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 04:15:51 PM

Quote from: Fabricated
[...] instead they went with the insanely lame killing method of dissolving people or whatever.
** Moderate spoily **

From what I gather, the phantoms of her nightmares (demonized versions of the scientists that prodded her) come out and claw her victums to shreds.  They're too fast to be seen with the naked eye, but the protagonist is able to spot them with his bullet-time reflexes and banish them with a hail of bullets.  That's how the end game goes anyway.

But yes, the jump-cuts leading to people's innards exploding were much cooler looking.  Pity they cut those.
Nah, they don't claw anyone. They just kind of grab you and dissolve you. You see this in perfect slow motion right at the end of the game before the disappointing end-run.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 08:47:56 AM

It's decent but unspectacular. The weapons seem to lack a bit of punch, and the maps could certainly be better.

Strazos

Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 10:14:45 AM

You have to just use the Stake Rifle. I actually caught a guy jumping down from a balcony, so I ended up staking him to the bottom of the balcony as I killed him in midair...hanging by his legs. It's classic.

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 11:36:00 AM

That sounds cool. Wasn't there another game where you could pin guys to the wall? NOLF2? Thief?
Strazos

Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 11:38:53 AM

Possibly NOLF2, though I'd have to run through the game again to be sure.

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 12:38:19 PM

I was thinking about NOLF2 last night while playing Half Life 2, which I just reinstalled. I forgot how bland and boring of a traditional shooter HL2 is. *yawn* Oh yeah, cool physics...wasted on a boring shooter ;)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 12:51:55 PM

Hm. I can't generate a "CD-Key" on their homepage, it just takes me back to step 1 of 3 after I complete step 2 of 3. I tried Firefox and Internet Explorer, no luck.

Any ideas ? Any keys to spare ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 11:35:49 PM

Hm. I can't generate a "CD-Key" on their homepage, it just takes me back to step 1 of 3 after I complete step 2 of 3. I tried Firefox and Internet Explorer, no luck.

Any ideas ? Any keys to spare ?

Check your pm, i sent you mine.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: F.E.A.R. Combat  
Jump to: