Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Newbie Grounds Cockblock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie Grounds Cockblock  (Read 12050 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

on: August 08, 2006, 06:38:58 PM

The cockblock at the newbie spawn grounds has GOT TO GO.

If there are 40 - 50 people standing motionless in the hunting grounds like trees waiting to pounce on a pop you have issues.  There is no reason to frustrate players 20 minutes after starting the game.  There is no magic resource balance to maintain on lvl 1 spawns.

I ran around outside Archet for 40 minutes and managed to kill 1 boar, unfortunately my quest was to kill 6 wolves and the 1 of those I saw was KS'd from me.  Not a very enjoyable evening.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:42:05 PM

Yeah and this isn't just a too many players thing I don't think. The spawn rate is just glacial, even by old school EQ standards.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:58:37 PM

Yep, this pretty much needs fixing before 95% of us can do any further testing.

Client seems to works okay on a MacBook Pro though. I might need to shave some graphics settings down a touch to run up the speed a bit.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:26:52 PM

The lack of wolves (and other creatures) in the newbie quest is a known issue. We posted about it before we opened the servers. We do have a dynamic spawn system that will spawn more creatures based on players in the area. It should be ready for Alpha 3.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:38:38 PM by Calandryll »
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:32:01 AM

I sense some epic wolf invasions in Alpha 3. Which can be pretty damn fun.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:07:59 AM

7am eastern, about half a dozen people and still no wolves. It's more than just the population, the spawn is too low.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:25:30 AM

7am eastern, about half a dozen people and still no wolves. It's more than just the population, the spawn is too low.
Try the ruins south of town (Maghram Folly's?). There are wolves around it and also on the ruins themselves (climb the stairs).
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 04:48:15 AM

Was too laggy in newbieville for me to play tonight. Also, what's with the lens flare? Am I the camera behind my character or the character himself? Cuz, like, uhhhhhhh - an actual eye can't see a lens flare. Whatever person thought putting a lens flare in the game would be cool needs to get with the program.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 05:07:58 AM

Whatever person thought putting a lens flare in the game would be cool needs to get with the program.
Blame the original Unreal, so that would probably be Tim Sweeney.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:23:35 AM

LOL@Tim Sweeney.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 08:15:54 AM

Things did lighten up past 0100 Eastern, but still there was a lot of KSing going on.  Some even from me.  Seems like first hit owns the mob, but I haven't bothered to test it too much.  If you team up and spread out, you can cover more ground and rack up kills faster, not like the mobs in the newbie area require a group.

The spawn rate could be higher, but I kept thinking that there was certainly a large number of players in a rather small space.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 08:34:53 AM

I took one for the team and went to read the official boards.  Regarding the newbie area cockblock:

Someone made a good point last night on vent too: there will be 3 other starting/newbie areas in launch so Elves, Hobbits and Dwarves will not also be camping the spawns here... Not that it isn't an issue, but bigger picture makes it a bit more tolerable.

Spawn timers are still an issue, I think, and if you ask me, there shouldn't be a timer on quest-starting spawns.  Really, I cannot think of any reason to have a spawn timer on something that starts a quest other than pure timeburgling design.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 09:10:13 AM

I was able to finally complete the wolf thingy this morning.  There seems to be lots more wolves all over the place.  Unfortunately, not so with spies.  I finished the initial spy quest by standing in one spot and killing the same guy every time he spawned.  Sad, no?  Luckily, I was folding laundry at the same time so it wasn't so bad.  I ran out of laundry half way, however and had to toss everything around and re-fold it. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 11:15:17 AM

I'm glad I haven't gotten past the intro quest yet.  Endless spawn camping leads to anger.  Anger leads to hate.  Hate leads to uninstallation.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:23:23 AM

It's an alpha!  Don't be impatient!  Just toss your laundry around the room like I do!

Or wait til beta... I'm sure it'll be a completely different game and maybe you'll go in with your eyes wide open.  (I look dead.   cry)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:46 AM

I find it vaguely amusing that, on the clock, I fix bugs, and I've volunteered to, off the clock, find bugs.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:26 AM

I find it vaguely amusing that, on the clock, I fix bugs, and I've volunteered to, off the clock, find bugs.

You too, huh?  Techinically it's ASIC design and Verification but mostly it's bug hunting.  I'm not going to be specifically looking for bugs during this experience I'm going to mostly just bitch about things that bother me.

Like static spawn timers.  It's a dumb idea to exist in any form because the implication is that the vast majority of players, those on the cusp of the bell curve, will ALWAYS be the ones affected by it.  So, the average expectation of the average player will be that there is a dearth of spawns and nothing to do.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yoru

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 12:21:54 PM

You too, huh?  Techinically it's ASIC design and Verification but mostly it's bug hunting.  I'm not going to be specifically looking for bugs during this experience I'm going to mostly just bitch about things that bother me.

Like static spawn timers.  It's a dumb idea to exist in any form because the implication is that the vast majority of players, those on the cusp of the bell curve, will ALWAYS be the ones affected by it.  So, the average expectation of the average player will be that there is a dearth of spawns and nothing to do.

Didn't Cal say in another thread that they have a dynamic spawn scaling system going in for Alpha 3?

Although I'd find it exceedingly amusing if a 100+ person raid walking through a zone temporarily spiked the system to an intense enough respawn level to get the other people using it to die/panic.

Anyway, I keep a little notepad near my computer, so I just jot down anything I've found so far.

The one issue I remember writing down is that one specific eye variation is stuck 'blue' and can't have its color changed.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 12:23:40 PM

Heh. Sounds like a mission for Bat Country when they implement it. I bet we can get it to do all kinds of fun things  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 12:26:05 PM

The concept of "go wait in this spot for foozles to teleport in so you can whack them" is still pretty broken imo.

If you're going to do stuff like that, make a big giant foozle vending machine - your quest is to go to the machine, push the button, whack the foozle that comes out, and repeat until done.  It'd at least get rid of having to worry about spawn timers.  And it'd be funnier.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 12:37:47 PM

Ideally a dynamic spawn system would have the foozles spawn 'off-camera' and then wander into the player's view. I have always thought that mobile mobs (heh) who wandered (even if it was in a pre-arranged pattern) were far more interesting than those who stood still or took a few steps one way or another. The bigass giant (Deepwater?) in Desolace from WoW was a good example- when he spawned, he wandered around a pretty large area. This helps with immersion a great deal, IMHO.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 12:43:58 PM

The newbie cockblock was pretty much gone by this morning.  I was able to log in and whack six wolves in a couple minutes so other than opening day there shouldn't be that big a problem with spawns.

I am the .00000001428%
Yoru

Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 12:55:30 PM

The concept of "go wait in this spot for foozles to teleport in so you can whack them" is still pretty broken imo.

This I don't disagree with at all, but it seems integral to the current design, so I wasn't going to bitch about it at this point.

What I am going to bitch about is not being able to autoattack with my bow. I think. Maybe I just didn't figure out what the ranged autoattack hotkey is.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 01:04:05 PM

My keybind window was garbled, so I passed on figuring out hotkeys.  Maybe you can drag it from your paperdoll to your hotbar.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 01:35:03 PM

*laughs* And I was going to complain that my little knife is too much on the autoattack.

Yoru

Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 01:40:53 PM

If you want to see a fun one, select a friendly NPC, get back at range and hit melee autoattack. Instead of recognizing the NPC as friendly, it just sits there spamming 'Out of Range' at you forever.

Edit: Maybe we should make a little thread for issues?
WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 01:54:38 PM

If you want to see a fun one, select a friendly NPC, get back at range and hit melee autoattack. Instead of recognizing the NPC as friendly, it just sits there spamming 'Out of Range' at you forever.

Edit: Maybe we should make a little thread for issues?

This one should work for now.

Yoru

Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 10:16:52 PM

I'm camping a bag of seeds.

There's a line for it.

This is incredibly lame. Why do global quest items despawn? Everyone here needs them. You could merely hide them on the client. Or at least give them a spawn timer on the span of seconds instead of minutes.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 07:02:33 AM

I agree... completely unneccessary. 
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 07:59:21 AM

This is going to change in alpha 3.
WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 09:38:24 AM

Figured this is as good a place to bitch as any about another cockblock- Level-limited equipment. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE this whole mechanism. If you want to prevent a n00b from using Glamdring, make it some sort of skill-based progression. The 'you must be this tall to ride this ride' shit is a complete and utter turnoff, especially when the vendors are selling a level 4 longsword and a level 11 longsword. No name difference; one is just more expensive and has a level cockblock on it. HATE.

Yoru

Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 11:32:18 AM

Items with the exact same names but different stats cheese my loins even more than arbitrary level-restrictions on items.

If nothing else, look at Titan Quest - they prepended material names so you could at least differentiate between two items without having to squint at stats. If I see 'You pick up a [shortsword].' scroll by in my chat, I don't care. It's vendor junk to me because I'm not going to spend two minutes scrutizing the shortsword to see if it's 0.1dps or 5 durability better than the shortsword I'm using.

Now, if I know I'm using [foam-rubber shortsword] and I see [tinfoil shortsword] scroll by, then yay, I got an upgrade - gratification, sense of reward, even if I know in the back of my head it'll be superceded when I level and can buy a [stainless steel salad fork] off the vendor in town.

But upgraded from Level 4 Shortsword to Level 11 Shortsword? You can't make the treadmill any more plain than that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Newbie Grounds Cockblock  
Jump to: